1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality by Less Wrong - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by headbanger22, Mar 9, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfectly Plausible

Perfectly Plausible Squib

I think a lot of people are judging this too harshly. Yes, the characters are not in character. Yes, some aspects seem heavy-handed at times. However, this is fanfiction; it's for enjoyment, and this is one of the few new stories that I've read lately from which I haven't had any feeling of boredom. I would give this a 4.87/5.00.

Anyway, anyone with half a brain can see this will end up as a threesome: Harry/Minerva/MadamMalkin. Will also feature MuggleEnlightened!Draco/vacuum, Hermione/Harry'sTrunk, and a temporary Harry/MokeskinPouch.

And now I return to lurking.

(I just read what I wrote and now admit it is bad HP fanfiction. However, it is still a very entertaining story. 4.79/5.00)

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... and I don't enjoy it. At all. So why would I be judging this too harshly, again? If everyone starts harping on that and hands out the 5/5, I ought to give it 1/5 for being blatantly unfunny and irritating me.

And the author's attempt to compare it to Canon on his chapter 8 AN ... I don't even know what to say. Just to point that out, the opening of the HP series remains one of my favourite parts, even today. The scene where Vernon nails shut the door and the owls crash in through the chimney is hilarious. Just this fic, that is still bad.

Also, it's his first story, it's been up for two months, it has 8 chapters, and over 1000 reviews? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    Yes, I'm so going to be a grudging bitch here -_-

3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

In spite of some strange parts in the beginning which made me go "wtf", I decided to weather the battering my suspension of disbelief took and read through the story, and I have enjoyed it.

A scientific rigor!Harry is a scenario that appeals to me and has kept me hooked. I can find little fault with the technical execution and find this to be a good story.

The beginning isn't quite as good as the rest, so I'll only give it 4/5.

4. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Huh. So I've read this. I simply don't enjoy this story. The humor simply comes off as... forced. Global domination is kinda funny - but Harry's capricious mood swings makes me visualize that video of Hitler in his bunker throwing a snit as the allies advance on Berlin. It's a poor analogy - but it's what I got.

The story simply dragged for me. Harry may be 'witty' in his observations of the wizarding world - but it grows tiresome by chapter four. By chapter eight I was skim skim skimming along.

2/5.

5. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

I guess it brings something different to Fanfiction which is always a good thing, especially because the author knows what he's talking about.

The concept of rationality was appealing at the start but as I read more, I realized that it could never really fit into the magical world of Harry Potter. Moreover, the Harry/Hermione interaction was off-putting for some reason.

It was a fun read however. 3.5/5

6. J22

J22 Seventh Year

I firmly agree with dhuli. For the most part I don't like logic applied to magic, especially not forced logic, but it did have its moments and it did amuse me for a while.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Seriously? I'm doing something wrong...

8. insectamantidae

insectamantidae Professor

Okay... normally I don't like anything other then well-done AUs and time travel stories, but I bit on this one because I liked the idea of Science!Harry...

And the title always gets me... You know, Harry Potter and the...suspiciously low-price banjo....easily sealed Tupperware... extended warranty deal...I don't know. I do not like the title. However, it was initially labeled Humor/Parody, so under that label, it's alright. It's even quite funny.

4/5 due to poor title. Quite un-original.

I did like the last chapter the best - he tests Hermione, and it turns into him rendering her speechless. If Hermione remains speechless through out the rest of the story, we may have a winner.

9. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The latest chapter made my enjoyment of this fic take a dive, and I'm suddenly disliking the author too.

It has good points and bad points, and while it certainly isn't very average, it deserves the rating of 3/5.

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    This story has moments of win, but the author seems to be doing his level best to come off as a pretentious, review-whoring douche who doesn't really know what he wants the story to be (aside from a canon-bashing reprisal of everything on his favorite web site). Aspects, such as Harry's second interaction with Draco, are clumsy at best. Others, like the songfic episode, are Perfect Lionheart-esque attempts to be different for the sake of being different (and thus proving something to some reviewer nobody cares about).

For all the author's blather about rationality and Bayesian inference, he is hypocritical in not appreciating that readers, after absorbing a dozen or so promising "Super-smart Harry goes to Hogwarts and... something; I'll think of something I'm sure" starts, will make the natural and entirely rational inference after seeing every one of them fail that this story is probably headed for the same. Instead of smug protestations, a more convincing counterargument would be if he were to actually just write the damned story.

I went from liking this story as a guilty pleasure to not caring in the space of 1k or so words. 3/5 now, rounding up (down from 4/5 before this chapter and A/N).

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  11. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Chapter 9 posted. Author issued a dare in the AN: if you guess what the last line of chapter 9 refers to before chapter 10 is posted on April 3rd, the author promised to tell you the entire plot.

12. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

YES!

I'll go running to find it out!

Or not.

13. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

This story is oscillating too much for my tastes. It seems like the author can't decide exactly how to write the story, and just chooses something out of a hat every chapter. It would be far better if there was some consistency, or at least better connection. The humor from the beginning and the humor in the later chapters is noticeably different, and though I liked chapter 7 best, it was very randomly placed, now that we see the next two chapters.

Less Wrong needs to decide what the tone of the story is. Until that happens, my vote's back to 3/5.

14. Katricia

Katricia DA Member

While I find myself agreeing with some of the criticisms you guys have mentioned about this fic, I still like it enough to keep my rating at a 4/5 for now - it's not mind-blowing amazing, but it's one of the best fics I've read recently. (That wasn't already in the DLP Library, that is.)

15. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mmm, yeah, this story really could do with less catering to the masses, and more focus on consistency. He's getting a bit of a big head with the reviews imo, needs to choose what he wants to write, and stick with it.

Moving down to 4/5. Still has potential, and could be pulled off however.

16. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I hope he posted the last chapter as a April Fools Joke. Pity. It really ruined the rational feel of the story, the whole bit with the Sorting Hat and the song with the twins. -_-

17. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

The author was doing fine up until that latest chapter. Seriously? That song was out of character, over the top, and a sad attempt at humor. It made me cringe when I read it.

The author needs to chill out with the review whoring. He was way too butthurt over some of the comments people left him. Someone needs to kindly pry that man's head out of his ass.

4/5 before this chapter now it has dropped down to 2/5. The only reason I didn't go lower was the writing was decent enough.

18. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

The author is a whore and the writing is going to fail?!

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, this last chapter killed the fic. Not much happened, and what did happen was a five year old HP fanfic prank trope which wasn't funny the first time it was used. Also, we can see now why the author doesn't write academically ("I prefer the blog format") - the peer review process would kill his ego.

20. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

Strange... I didn't get an e-mail when the story updated. Hmmm... I'm thinking that this has to be an April Fool's day joke.

Not open for further replies.