1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Thank you. FWIW, my betas both say that book three is at least as good as, if not better than, book two. :)

Updates will be twice a week (M/F). And the first chapter was a sort of prologue -- the rest of the book will be from Alexandra's POV, as usual.

2. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Great great great great. I really love this series and I can't wait to read more.

Alex has good traits and bad traits and they all come together for a well rounded character.

Looking forward to reading how she is dealing with what happened at the end of book two. From what I've read in the LJ and here I'm guessing not well. Makes for a good read.

Darlas situation is also something I'm looking forward to finding out.

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Clawsome. I'm ridiculously excited. Second chapter is great; I have my Alex back 8D

Confederation needs a definitive smackdown. I realised this -- IIRC, it was very ambiguous at the beginning of the series, but right now, I'm very opposed to the confederation. Might have something to do with Alex learning more, thus getting a better picture and seeing things more clearly (and we with her); on the other hand, it might be a skewed picture, due to the POV and her position. My biggest argument against the latter is the actions they took in the opening chapter; we have a different POV there, and it still doesn't look very appealing.

Will be interesting to see if my feelings will remain that way.

Edit: Incidentally, since Alex brought it up, will we see the Kings again in this story?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  4. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I'm gonna not read any more updates to this story until it's finished. I can't handle not reading the whole thing, because it seems written to be read as one piece.

5. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Yes.

It was written as a novel. I'm uploading two chapters a week, so it will be June before all chapters are posted. Eventually, I'll make it available on my LJ as a PDF or epub download like my other books.

6. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Inverarity, I have to admit I did not see this plot twist coming.

Keep this up!

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah, I know a lot of people said they would wait til it was all posted to read it, but we're upwards of 20 chapters now and it's some good stuff. I'd suggest giving it a go if you liked the first two at all.

So far I wouldn't say this one is better than the 2nd, but it is quite good and probably ties. I'd rate it at least a 4/5 if not better.

And yeah, Mordac, did not see that coming. Lots of build up for that to have it go that way, etc. Epic. I can already guess why it happened though.

I'm learning to live with the times when I don't like Alex and want to smack her good and hard, since it's part of her character and she is honestly acting her age for most of it. Better than having her be a Mary Sue for sure.

8. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Why is this still in the recycling bin? This is easily DLP worthy.

Anyway, I'm loving the third story so far and I like your quick update rates. Write moar!

5/5

9. Mordac

Mordac Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

The latest chapter was probably the most epic thing ever to happen in this series.

I most second DitN: why is this still in the recycling bin?

10. Anya

This needs to be moved into the library!

EDIT: It definitely was the best chapter in the story. I kinda wish that Alex had followed through and given Darla the token. Nasty girl.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  11. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Goddammit.

I wish she would have just given Darla the token, but I guess that would have been too easy a resolution to Alexandra's quest. Not to mention, it is probably inconsistent with her character to sacrifice someone else's life for her brother's, even though she hates Darla and desperately wants Max back.

I can't wait to see where this will go now. I wonder what consequences will come from Alex's actions in the latest chapter; and I wonder if Grim, or someone else, will find out about her trip through the veil.

12. Anya

I hope Grimm and co don't find out about it. Alex always gets caught, it's kind of annoying.

13. Ched

I'm not 100% sure on how the Library and stuff works with stories that have several different "books" in them. I'd say that the first in this series might well be a 3/5 and deserving of the recycling bin, but the 2nd and 3rd stories are definately more in the 4-5/5 range for me. Should there be more than one thread?

EPIC chapter, frickin' awesome. I was half hoping that she'd let Darla take the damn thing too, but yeah, too easy. And she's not that far gone yet.

She does always get caught, and it is sort of annoying, but on the other hand Alexandra doesn't usually bother with careful planning for afterwards to avoid getting caught. In this particular case however, because of the nature of what happened, I'd say she has a much better than average chance of not getting caught.

She didn't break her way into the basement room by blasting through the door and she wasn't gone for very long. It's likely that Grimm doesn't know about the passage Journey used to get her there and she probably wasn't missed or Anna would have said something. Unless Darla tells then I'd say there's a good chance she got away with it, unless they had monitoring spells of some kind in the room itself to see if anyone tried to enter the Lands Below/Beyond.

One thing I like about Alex compared to Harry is that she is much better at operating solo than he was. She has her circle of friends, but no Rons or Hermiones to share her more dangerous adventures or do all the work for her. Darla, Larry, etc. are also more interesting rivals than I found Malfoy to be, though Malfoy did have more potential in some ways given his father's role in things. There's also less of a focus on classwork, though it makes enough of an appearance that we don't forget the location is a school.

My guess is that Alex will give the coin to someone before the end of the book (which is coming up soon) but it will be someone she won't be as concerned about killing because they are trying to kill her (or some other reason she is able to justify).

Edit: Better?

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  14. Anya

Also, does anyone else think that when Alex tried to go back in time with the time turner, the second time in the school basements, that it might actually be Alex herself going back in time and stunning herself?

Just a random thought I had when I read it.

EDIT: CheddarTrek, I think maybe you should put spoiler tags up for your post.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  15. Anya

Alexandra Quick and the Deathly Regiment by Inverarity - T

Title: Alexandra Quick and the Deathly Regiment
    Author: Inverarity
    Rating: T
    Genre: General/Adventure
    DLP Category: General
    Status: All thirty-one chapters have already been written, and will be posted on a semi-weekly schedule.
    Summary: Alexandra Quick begins eighth grade at Charmbridge Academy angry and in denial. When guilt and obsession lead her to a fateful choice, it is not only her own life that hangs in the balance, for she will uncover the secret of the Deathly Regiment!
    Link: Fanfiction.net

I think this story deserved it's own thread and a chance to get into the library.

First Story already in library: The Recycle Bin.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
  16. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Will it be femflash? Why not recommend the other fics first also?

17. Ched

@Scott -- the first fic has been recced and is in the recycling bin. However the quality improves greatly for the 2nd and 3rd stories.

This is the THIRD story. I think it'd be daft to read it without reading the first two as well, but that's just me.

Oh, and this one is a definate 5/5 because damn, rock on.

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because it's in the recycling bin.

Probably should of mentioned that + a link Anya. :p

19. Ched

I see we have people rating it -- any comments on what rating and why? Curious to see.

Should also be mentioned that while the story is 'complete' it's not all posted. The Author is posting a chapter every Monday and Friday without fail, and the author's note says there are 31 chapters all written. However only 26 have been posted so far. (In response to the 'complete' tag on the thread)

20. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^ This. A thousand times, this.

EDIT: I thought I'd give more justification to my hatred of this series.

I hate do-over fics. If there's one thing I really don't want to do, it is read any more Harry Potter. The Philosopher's Stone was written for children and as such, is boring. What's more, I've already read the story at least a thousand times in different guises. Slytherin!Harry, Non-BWL!Harry AbusedGay!Harry. The thing Harry Potter has, is an amazing universe, full of potential for some epic-storytelling.

"But enembee!" I hear you say, "That's exactly what's happened here! They've taken the Harry Potter mythos and used it to create a world full of original ideas."

The thing is, I don't want to read about an eleven year old Harry Potter and as such I certainly don't want to read about an eleven year old female Harry Potter with a ridiculously shitty attitude and an even more ridiculous name set in a series of adventures that I really can't empathise with.

I'm sorry for it, but as a reader I'm beyond the eleven year old wizard/witch goes to a magical school and there are some people that cause shit for them every year. I'd much rather read something that puts a unique and mature spin on a world that's hugely interesting.

Last edited: May 29, 2010