1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Heleor, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

Holy crap, was not expecting that! I liked Rory as well, hell of a lot better than Mickey was at any rate. Finally get an idea what this mysterious space time event is - possible death of the TARDIS. I know it won't actually happen but Steven Moffat is probably going to be able to write a much better ending than R 'Jesus Dobby Doctor' TD

Amy continues to be awesome and I liked the fact that they found a way to stop the angst that would have been there and make his death all the sharper in one swift stroke. I'd say a pretty incredible end to an alright episode.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seratin and RageLizardGirl.

Bros since 29/05/10.

3. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Just finished the second Lizard Men episode and was wondering if anyone else caught the Doctor's reference to the "six fixed points in time" and if so, what they think of it. I think it might become a very important idea later on what with the TARDIS fragment and the ring.

4. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Fixed points in time was mentioned last year as well.

The Mars incident was one.

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Destruction of the Pompeii was another one. And I don't think Doctor said there was only six.

6. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

The free video game was pretty bad, as far as video games go, but had an interesting plot. New Series Skaro looked amazing.

Amy kept getting Dalek-gunned, though. It was annoying.

7. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Bit of a strange episode tonight. I really enjoyed it, but for most of it it felt like a show about Van Gogh, which happened to have an alien and the Doctor in it. But it was quite nice to see another side to time-travel.

8. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

The ending was nice, and I liked how they implied amy was still thinking of Rory.

Everything else was ok.

But I'm kinding wishing they would, every now and then, not humanize the monsters. Let them be out there because they enjoy raping and killing and loitering because it was fun Nothing more, No lonelyness, no debilitating diseases, no emotional baggage, just "snap snap, Crunch crunch humans make an excelent Brunch".

They should delight in eating a person alive as they flavor themselves with their screams and terrified sensations of pain.

9. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Are you feeling quite all right?

EDIT: I'm about half way through the episode and I am so bored. Does it get better? Otherwise I will stop and wait until it's on the television in two weeks.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  10. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Soooo.. Angels?

11. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

This episode was amazing. It was a character study instead of the Doctor Who fare - the monster is supposed to be a metaphor for depression - invisible and only Vincent can see it.

The end was very bittersweet.

12. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

Clearly, she wasn't, because Rory never existed.

/discussion about Rory.
    That's what the Daleks and the Cybermen are for. Because they're machine-things and have no emotions. The aliens are just metaphors for different races. The Weeping Angels? Totally Jews.

Or, it was some writer who had a hard-on for Van Gogh. I'm guessing the latter, because of the OOC-ness.

"OOH, LET'S TAKE ONE FUCKING HUMAN ARTIST THROUGH TIME AND SHOW HIM WHAT AN AWESOME CUNT HE WAS!"

I can't wait for next week to hopefully remind me why I keep watching this show. I'm kinda suss, though.

13. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Kalas Got it...

This Show needs more Angels. They are by far the best villains. Intelligent, actually terrifying, and remorseless.

That and I'm tired of the twist humanized villains.

Daleks, apparently Evil incarnate but so much of a joke villain in that they spend more time doing their electric banter voices rather than showing their evil. Point in fact, the last episode with the stolen earth plot arc.

Besides I have a hard time fearing a barrel that every now and then makes your bones radioactively green as it kills you.

Cybermen, somewhat more evil but even then they have no intent for evil they only act it as they are trying to make everyone like them.

I want a villain who wants to be evil not because he hears drums in his head, not because they have some space nazi complex, not because of some overly complicated backstory that some how makes them the doctors villain.

I want a villain in Doctor who who just is Evil! Likes making people suffer for the fun of it. The Doctor can not relate them to anything, doesn't even see the doctor as an enemy and more as a aquantence to fight.

While I like doctor who, he is the ultimate deux ex Machinima. He has some convenient answer and experience or insight into anything. I think a true villain to him should leave him stumped and horrified and off balance.

He will try and make some connection, and humanize the evil, but at the end he is wrong because he is trying to hard to make it fit his model of a villain.

I'm Waiting for that.

tldr;

Quazi asks for too much of the series.

edit:

I'm guessing your trying to ignore the obviousness of the moment between amy and Van Gogh, but I'll state it anyway. It was indicated that some where amy still remembers rory thats why she was crying without realizing it.

now /discussion about Rory.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  14. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty boring episode.

I did love the end though.

Seriously boring during the middle though.

15. Riley

Wasn't the Master's purpose pretty much to just wreak havoc and rule everything? I mean I realize in the end he kind of just did a 180 but before that, he was pretty much evil wasn't he? Or did I miss something?

16. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Originally, I believe. You could also count the Vashta Narada, and maybe even the Toclafane, off the top of my head.

17. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

The master as far as I can tell without watching the pre Rose episodes was meant to be the over the top villain.

Like Davros was always trying to get the daleks to start a new empire but somehow was always turned on.

The master was always supposed to be the anti doctor. Always relateable by referencing the doctor.

The vashta Narada were cool but they, at the end, showed feer towards the doctor. I want one that is ambivilant towards the doctor and his threaths slash wishes.

18. Riley

Well the President(I think that's his name) was pretty ambivalent, but I don't know if he was evil, maybe just misguided. The Vashta however were indeed scared as fuck and it kind of let me down.

19. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Very, very, very, very poorly plotted episode. It felt like every annoying, lazy fish out of water horseshit movie ever, only worse because it's the Doctor they're turning into cookie cutter nonsense.

The fact that the "monster" was actually a mindnumbingly epic idea only served to make it worse. I can think of a thousand directions to go with something like that, all of them awesome.

They went with the Odd Couple.

Excuse me while I punch myself in the face.

20. Shinysavage

High Score:
    Eh, I didn't think it was that bad. Just kinda bland. I can't really remember anything about it, but I know nothing particularly annoyed me. I'd agree that there was wasted potential in the reveal though.