1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

System spec thread

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Midknight, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, emailed them and as the order hasn't shipped yet I'm hoping they can change it before it does. I really shouldn't be doing anything that involves so much money after 2 days with no sleep. o.o

2. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

@Oz My CPU is a Intel i7 960
    As for the RAM and audio, I am admittedly a bit of a audio freak and I like good sound. RAM wise, I will be doing a lot of CG animation and modeling and running a large number of high-end video games, I also multitask a lot with numerous memory intensive programs. Besides my bank account can tale the hit, I don't really plan on upgrading very much until after I finish college and grad school.

3. Oz

Heh, fair enough then. Was just concerned you might be one of those people with more money than sense. :v

4. Pringles

Pringles First Year

Hey if the worst comes the the worst you could always try invent (I presume) the worlds first PSU SLI system with a second one ...

I'd buy that for the novelty value ;)

5. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

There are many systems around with dual PSU's. It's pretty easy to make a jumper to make it so both PSU's power up at the same time aswell.

For some Quad SLI/CFX systems, Dual PSU's are the only way to power them due to the number of required connecters and required wattage.

Same with the huge RAID arrays and such. Same with storage servers.

How do you think the huge data banks do their shit?

I've seen petabyte setups running off a few PSU's.

6. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Most servers have dual (or maybe more O.O) PSUs, for redundancy purposes.

Edit: Ninja'd. D:

7. Oz

`So, had to cancel the entire order and order again with the new one. But they say there won't be any delay which is pretty awesome. :D

8. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You can just get the supplemental stuff instead of the second giant box if you want, I had one, and gave it to a friend.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817153037

They've got newer models that fit into 2 bays for quad SLI for cheaper then another quality PSU as well.

9. Pringles

Pringles First Year

I presumed wrong ... :(

Next thing you'll be telling me that CISC CPU's now run as fast as old RISK ones used to. Stupid revision facts, I just can't get away from the horrific dullness of my exams!

10. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I had recently grabbed a new PC (2 months ago roughly). My new specs:

Windows 7 Professional (build 7600, I believe).
    i7 920 CPU (runs at 2.67GHz 2.79GHz)
    Ge-Force GTS250 with 1 gig of RAM
    4 gigs of RAM
    A Gigabyte motherboard (don't know the model of Gigabyte though)
    Also have an SATA hard drive set as Primary 500 or so gigs, and an IDE secondary physical drive with 350 gigs, I believe.
    The case is an "Elite Cooler Master", colored black.

I've been using Windows 7 the past 2 months, and so far, I have to say I really like it a lot more than I did XP (I really did like XP, too). It runs my games 2 or 3 times as fast as my last PC did. Only thing I didn't like about 7 is the Startmenu and unable to make it look like Windows 98's old style (but I installed a program to make it give the 98 look called "Classic Start Menu"), the other thing I don't like is that stupid search bar in the start menu I am unable to get rid of.

2nd issue I have with it is how the "options" are setup. It's no longer the old style, which I'm still getting used to, and still do not like. Such as how Windows 98/XP had the old style of changing the options with the display/resolution/power options, which I preferred over the new style; and does not have those options all in the same page. Wishing it would, but oh well, I'll get over it eventually.

I do however, like that you can change all the different colors with the scheme of the display (background colors, title colors, etc).

The thing I absolutely love the most about Windows 7 is the "time" options in the shut down field. I can make it shut down Windows 7 (or restart, go into hybernation, log off, lock/switch users, and sleep) in 30 minutes, 5 minutes, or even after 8 1/2 hours after I get off the computer. I really wish XP had that option back in the day. They took a lot of the junk uses out of Windows Vista (which I'm glad for).

The network options are also pretty different too, which is something I don't really mind all that much.

And I like that I can also still install Virtual OS's on Windows 7. I did that with Windows XP, I used a program called "Virtual Box". Something I like more than Virtual PC or VMWare.

If some of you are a bit hesitant to get Windows 7, I say grab it and use it. Most things are now moving towards Windows 7. It really is a good system. I'm actually glad that Windows made this system. Just thought I'd put in my own thoughts on this.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  11. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Trust me, you get used to the new control panel very quickly, it is very intuitive.

The search in the start bar comes in handy a lot of the time, instead of having to go to run. Plus you can do a full on search in the start menu, without opening an explorer window.

It will become a part of your usual usage patterns in time.

Also, the search in Windows 7 is absolutely awesome.

The transition effects and the new shortcut keys for stuff they introduced are pretty good. They handle multiple monitors much better and the power options for laptops are much improved. Also, seeing as how Win7 benchmarks in many casea faster than XP, there's not much reason to keep running XP, unless you need it for some programs which also refuse to run compatibility mode.

12. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I don't use the search function in the start menu at all. I like to use the Windows key on he keyboard, then hit the letter shortcut for whatever program I'm going to. It worked pretty well, until they put in the damn search function into the startmenu, I can't use the shortcut keys anymore. Instead, the search bar gets the damn curser in it first. Which I just plain don't fucking WANT in the first place. It's annoying, and absolutely not wanted/needed by me at all.

The control panel I've gotten used to, but that's not all that I was mentioning, and I'm assuming you know that already.

13. Oz

Really? The search function is my favourite feature of win 7. I never have to navigate through folders or menus in search of files or programs.

14. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I just prefer doing it the old fashioned way. Even if I were to use the search function, it'd take the same amount of time.

15. Archangel

Archangel First Year

I have Windows 7 on my work box, and have to reluctantly concede that it's not too awful. I refuse to admit that the new control panel layout is an improvement though.

The start menu search thing is nice. Which is good, because the new design for it would be awful otherwise. At least they admitted that the mouse is not always better for searching a big list of things like that - although Microsoft brought a lot of the problems with the old version on themselves (silly things, like suggesting that programs install under the company name first, and the way everything clutters it up with extra icons for "help" and "uninstall" etc).

Plus, you can get 64-bit versions of it easily, and they're actually pretty practical in the real world. About time.
    And it feels nicer under load to me - XP wasn't great at that, so my bar wasn't high, but they have improved it, which deserves a nod at least.

16. Oz

I just realised I never actually posted my specs here... My original order (posted above) I had to cancel due to epic fail from the retailer, and then monetary emergency. <.<

Finally got a new desktop mid-October.

CPU: Intel Core i5-760 @ 2.8GHz. (I got it to 3.4~ with the stock cooler, but it was running a bit hot for my liking and stock speeds suit me fine for now so I brought it back to default straight away).
    Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L
    GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 460 1024MB
    Memory: 4GB OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750GB
    Case: NZXT Gamma Tower (I quite like this case, and it was pretty cheap o.o)
    PSU: 650 Watt Corsair

I'm pretty damn happy with it. :3

17. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

i7 920
    ASUS Rampage 2 GENE
    GTX 275 768MB
    Corsair 6GB DDR3
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Win7Ultimate

18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nice, but...

Lol@ i7.

(An i7 is just an i5 with hyperthreading and a huge jump in price tag).

19. Oz

20. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Got a new rig last month, thanks for huge necro ;)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    Mobo: ASUS M4N98TD Evo
    RAM: 8 GB PC-1333
    GPU: EVGA GTX 460 1GB
    GPU: EVGA GTX 460 1GB
    SSD: OCZ 90GB
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB