1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Read a few chaters, didn't like it. Will re-rate if it gets better, doubt it will though.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This 100x. If there is one thing I hate, it's people that rate shit without reading it. If it's not your preference, don't read it, just leave it.

As for the fic itself? This is probably the best thing i've read since The Name of the Wind. It's kept me glued to the screen, something that hasn't happened to me in a good long while.

There's a lot to be said about this story, both positive and negative. I'll leave a final review when it's finished however. Overall, I just want to say that this fic is exquisitely crafted, and an incredible job. I usually hate OC-centric fics, especially when the usual cast don't show up at all, but this is one of those exceptions to the rule i'll never regret.

5/5 from me.

Inverarity, if you are still reading this thread, i'd be interested in knowing the if/when/what/how etc about the fourth book. I assume you've been writing it at the moment, while posting AQDR?

3. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

That's stupid. Why do you think Average, Bad and Terrible are there for? If people only rate fics they like the whole rating thing is worthless.

You read a few chapters, rate it, continue reading if you want (and re-rate if you want) or quit, it does not matter. As long as you've read enough to form and opinion you can vote.

4. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

I have started book four, but I'm writing some other (non-fanfic) things at the moment, too. So book four probably won't be finished until some time next year.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

That isn't what Ellisande said. They said to "leave it" if you haven't read it at all. The point being that if this doesn't sound like a story you'd like don't rate it based on that without actually reading some of it. This also applies to people who read the first book in the series but haven't tried this one yet and are rating based on that -- though hopefully no one has been doing so. I know you said that in your own post, but you made it sound like they meant something else.

Anyway, Inverarity, are you intending to write a full 7 books? Because that would be awesome.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. Innomine

High Score:
    Next year?! :((((

THis is sadface. Just putting it out there.

7. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

CheddarTrek: Seven books has always been the plan.

Ellisande: We shall see. I've managed one AQ book per year so far, usually while writing something else in between.

8. Innomine

High Score:
    Are you writing an original? You really should. I love how your characters noticibly develop over the course of the books.

Also, you could of so easily made this an original story as well, the magical system is really the only thing that is recognizable as HP, even then not as much as most fics are.

If/when you do release Original work, let us know, because I'll definitely buy it, and make the library at home buy it.

9. Ched

Newest update is :D and manages to surprise me again. Here I was thinking that most of the major action had been done already.

Though I did find things felt slightly rushed in this one, but it's also possible that was intentional seeing as how everything was rushed.

So, what the hell is up with Darla anyway? I assume we're going to find out soon, but I haven't got the faintest clue where her drive is coming from. Also it felt like the sacrifice thing (or whatever it is) with Innocence was spur of the moment, but in hindsight it looks like Darla was getting close to her earlier for a reason, so that feels contradictory.

Does anyone else find themselves hoping that Alex uses a pensieve to show relevant people most of her memories of what the hell has been going on? Because otherwise no one is going to believe this stuff, and that might be frustrating.
    Good stuff!

10. Innomine

High Score:
    See, Sophie! This is what I was talking about. :p

Apparently we have more main plot to go, and shit CAN happen in the last 4 chapters of the story. :D

Liked it, looking forward to monday now.

11. Ched

I'm not sure what to think of the last chapter. Obviously it remains to be seen what actually happens in the rest of the story or if things really are as they seem.

Throwing the coin into the portal seemed weird. Now she can't use it to get Max back, and while I didn't have any expectations of that in the first 2/3 of the book, I've been expecting her to find a more useful way of using it (this didn't count, though I suppose it might later on) ever since she visited Death.

What the bloody hell is up with Darla? It's gone from being an interesting mystery that I didn't know the answer to to actually being irritating that I have no idea after all this time and all the things (losing the coin, Alex trading her life, maybe no one believing her about Innocence, etc.) that have happened as a result.

The Confederation sending child sacrifices every year is an interesting twist if they do that, though I agree with Alex that it seems unlikely Darla was chosen for that task. I do like how there is so much room for interpretation on who the bad guys are in this story. Is Thorn right? Or is the Confederation right? Or are they both wrong?

12. Anme

Anme Professor

I agree. I really hope that that will be cleared somewhat out in the next chapter. Her throwing away the coin is something I could live with. I'm not sure yet whether I want Maximillian to come back. Although I was a bit confused:

At the end, was the metal coin that Innocence held the same coin Alex threw away? If so, how did it end up there? If not, what did I miss?

13. Innomine

High Score:
    Agreed with Darla getting kinda annoying. I hope there is some big revelation too be honest. Her character seems to turn 180 degrees completely randomly at times.

7 year contract was interesting.

14. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

I'm loathe to explain anything myself, since anything the author has to explain outside of the story is something the story failed to communicate. I think, however, that the next chapter will answer most of your questions.

15. Ched

Yeah, Inverarity, I figure there's room left to go and a good chance that things will get answered, but I figured I'd comment on the mystery going from "fun" to "irritating" for now.

Still a kick ass story though.

One question, would you like for me to review on fanfiction.net as well as adding comments here on DLP? Some authors want to get as many reviews as they can to attract more readers, and some don't really care about the number so much as the fact that they get useful feedback (wherever it is). I can do both.

16. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

I like reviews, I like feedback. Attracting new readers is nice. If you are inclined to leave reviews on ff.net, feel free. :) But don't feel obligated -- I've gotten past the point where I regularly check my stats.

17. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

Excellent last few chapters. Alex is really pushing the envelope in this latest story.

My guess is that Darla has some kind of sentence hanging over her head and she is desperate to pass the debt to someone else.

18. Ched

Oh, hey, that's a good guess. That would explain why she's so set on sacrificing someone else, if it's to take her place. In that case maybe she never did want to hurt anyone, she's just seeing that as being better than being hurt herself.

But hell, even then, after all this crap... why hasn't just told Alex that? I guess since she was trying to sacrifice Alex at first that it would be a bad idea, but at this point? And she doesn't have a sacrifice now that she's gone back in, so I dunno what she's thinking.

19. Anme

Anme Professor

The last update was great. And most of the questions were answered. I really liked it.

20. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

How did Alex and Inocence get back to the school? Did I miss something?