1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP 5-Starred and Featured Authors C2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by enembee, Aug 15, 2010.

?

Should we expand the C2 to include non-HP stories?

1. Yes

9.0%
  2. No, Create a New C2 for 5-Starred Non-HP Fics

80.6%
  3. No, Don't bother

4.5%
  4. No strong opinion

6.0%
  1. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Subscribed earlier, epic idea.

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Subscribed. The only C2 I've ever even looked at. I usually just look at individual stories.

3. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Let the Hammer of Throwing Our Weight around fall.

Great idea, enembee. Subscribed!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  4. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

We need some more decisions on the fics nominated for removal.

Nominated for Removal
    [​IMG] Apathy of Freedom by Nonjon (nominated by Anme)
    [​IMG] Freedom of Apathy by Nonjon (nominated by Anme)
    [​IMG] Breaking Tradition by Mortalus (nominated by Grubdubdub)
    [​IMG] Bestest Birthday Ever by Nonjon (nominated by Anme)
    [​IMG] Insurgence Aganist Azkaban by Shezza (nominated by Anme, seconded oephyx and EthyleneGlycol)

Inward (Contested)
    [​IMG] Traitorous by Flamata (nominated by Triq, seconded by gamingguru and EthyleneGlycol, Sin Saiori, opposed by Stalin's Pipe Organs, Taure, Red, Vlad)
    [​IMG] Anarkia by Naia (nominated by Triq, seconded by The-Hyphenated-One, Sin Saiori, Zennith, Myst, silverlasso, opposed by Anme, Taure, hgf)
    [​IMG] Shadow Play by Thor Nairda(nominated by Andromalius, seconded by Myst, opposed by Taure) (link)
    [​IMG] The Demon within by Thor Nairda(nominated by Andromalius, opposed by Taure) (link)
    [​IMG] Ruined in a day (+sequels) by Net girl (nominated by Stalin's Pipe Organs.) (link)
    [​IMG] Alexandra Quick Series by Inverarity (nominated by Kalas.) (link)
    [​IMG] Gossip Queens by Opalish (nominated by jadedmutt) (link)

Good job guys on the >230 subscribers! :p

5. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I reject the removal of Apathy of Freedom and Freedom of Apathy by nonjon. Both to me are virtually the best of the Harry goes to Azkaban stories, simply because Harry doesn't act like a complete spaz in revenge or forgiveness - deciding to simply become a hermit. I like hermit Harry.

So keep those two stories in!

6. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

There's something infinitely satisfying about watching this C2 climb its way up the ranks.

All the way, baby, all the way!

7. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

It's at least 252 subscribers now.

DLP did way better then I think any of us thought. I mean that many in less then 24 hours? Damnnnnn.

Looks like we have a real chance of getting in the top 10 at this rate.

8. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Out:
    Traitorous by Flamata
    Alexandra Quick Series by Inverarity
    Apathy of Freedom by Nonjon
    Freedom of Apathy by Nonjon
    Not saying these are bad, I enjoyed them but I don't think they are up to par with other stories in there.

For the rest, I either have not read them, or in the case of Anarkia, simply cannot remember anything significant about it.

9. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I can't seem to access the c2......? It says outdated link.

10. Anarchy

11. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

It was just the mobile site. Haha. Number 47!

12. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Boy, what a day. Very impressive chaps.

What I'd like to throw out is something Taure brought up and then I later agreed on but replied in haste.

We have a chance here to not only make a C2 of epicness (which we've already done, props) but to do something unlike any other C2 to my knowledge on ffnet. This shouldn't be about the fics that DLP has found. That is, after all, what you're run-in-the-mill C2 is, a collection of stories (usually following a certain theme) that someone or group has found and lumped together. No, we should strive for something greater:

What DLP has produced.

Other than simply crushing the current C2s (a worthy end in its own, for sure), this could be a massive coup for DLP in so far as we are seen as the boogieman of the fandom. What we need at the top of the C2s is a group that says "We're DLP, and our members write the cream of the fanfiction: here's a list." By keeping it to what our members have made - and not simply a library list of fics our members have liked - we make it a truly unique DLP experience and place at the very goddamn top of the corpses of Snarry/Drarry and their ilk a great wad of proof that we are the very best, like no one ever was.

13. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I <3 vlad, in the very least because of this quote.

14. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

I dunno vlad, I like having a great c2 out there with reliability that includes good stories simply because they are awesome and not because the staff feel the need to compulsively add stories.

Why not set up a second c2 with DLP produced fiction on top of this one?

Subscribed btw

15. Anarchy

As a side note, it would be an interesting feature if a stories author could control which c2's could showcase their work. Similar to a 'friend request' I would imagine, the c2 manager would send out a request to the author, and the author would either accept or deny it.

16. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I see both arguments here. There is a good deal of very high quality fanfiction written by non-DLP members that I'd like to have all in the C2, as well. But I can certainly see the appeal of just having the DLP authors in it.

-shrug- I suppose I don't care either way, but I'd like a spin-off C2 with the 5-star'd things, if people to decide to go the DLP-only route.

17. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The thing is, that already exists. It's called the DLP library. And if that's a little too inclusive for you, all you have to do is click the mouse once to order-by-ratings.

18. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

If they go DLP only route then I would like the other C2 to be 4-5 Star (for variety) and to not just be HP, which I may be wrong but that seems to be all that the current C2 is. Otherwise, it seems okay as is, although the C2 seems to have become misnamed since it has some stories that are not 5-star/DLP authored in it.

EDIT: Vlad says no, so that makes the first half pointless.

19. Xenks

Xenks Second Year DLP Supporter

Vlad is right in his "DLP Library has the same stories as the C2" statement. However, there's pluses to having a C2 of those stories that the library cannot provide. For instance, how do we tell when a story in the library has been updated, unless someone happens to have it on their personal list, or are told by someone else? A C2 would help remedy that issue.

That's without considering C2s are visible to everyone on FF.net, whereas they have to come here to look at the library, and thanks to our less than stellar reputation, some people miss out on great stories. So what are the minuses to having a C2 of the library, aside from the fact someone has to maintain it?

In short, I just don't see reasons we should actively choose not to create a C2 for our 5 star stories. Or for the whole library. Aside from the effort required, of course. Now I would argue that this thread is basically a C2 for our 5 star stories, so that base is covered.

If there are minuses I'm missing, feel free to call me on it. I fully expect to be called on it.

Now that I think I've semi-coherently stated my opinion on the direction of the C2, I'd like to second the removal of Insurgence Against Azkaban and Bestest Birthday Ever.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  20. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Here's one more for Insurgence Against Azkaban by Shezza to go OUT.