1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Alexandra Quick and the Thorn Circle by Inverarity - K+

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ray243, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

Damnit. A bump to a story I had *just* gotten to forgetting about. Damnit, now I have to try to forget it again for the rest of the time it'll take for the next one to come out.

I didn't feel too much of a connection for Max until nearly just before the end of book 2. The most stand-out scene I remember with him is when he spills his big secret to Alexandra, and even that felt more like a dream sequence.

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    You could always reread the stories. It wouldn't be a bad a way to spend time--this series really is one of the gems of the fandom.

3. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Please use spoiler tags, especially for things about the third book.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The book has been out for ages, if you don't want spoilers about it, you shouldn't be reading the damn book.

Otherwise, pretty much what Insane Juggler said. Had just about forgotten this series, wish the 4th book was out already, and the series really doesn't deserve to be in the recycling bin. :/

5. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Uh, yeah. Wtf. This should be at the top of the list anywhere, and definitely not in the recycling bin. I don't care if it breaks the first Potter Law, it's among the best fics I've ever read.

6. Innomine

High Score:
    The second and third story made it into the library, but then the threads were combined because it's all one series.

Then it was put into for review again, but the previous reviews were removed, and barely anyone voted on it, which really seems kinda shitty imo.

But I think I kinda exhausted my bitching on this before this post, so I'll stop now.

7. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Actually, it has 107 votes at 3.38. I think Tinn combined all the votes. It does deserve a spot in the library, though.

I voted 5/5 for it.

8. Innomine

High Score:
    Oh she did? If so, my bad.

I still think a revote would of been better, but meh.

Just wish this story got the recognition it deserves, really.

9. Zennith

High Score:
    Definitely in favor of a revote as well. I'm willing to bet a lot of the votes we knee jerk reactions to the fact that Harry isn't in the fic, before people actually read the stories.

10. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Clearly the votes say its right where it ought to be.

11. Zennith

High Score:
    Have you actually read the series?

12. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Me earlier in the thread.

INB4: "But voting against something that isn't to your tastes doesn't reflect the quality of the story."

In response to which I'd merely say that there is an awful lot of amazing stuff that didn't make it into the library due to DLP's tastes and an awful lot of shit stuff that has. This is the system. End of conversation.

For the record I've got a 4-star in The Recycling Bin. I'm not whinging. Stop trying to subvert a fair review.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  13. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Hello.

This debate ends here.

Now review and rate.

14. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

A review

I read the series in one go, so some of the details are kind of amorphous in my head, and I don't remember everything that well.
    That said, this story is awesome.
    World-Building
    This is one of the few(maybe only) fics I've read that manages to introduce a completely AU, with one mention of British HP, all very successfully. The mythology, especially in the second and third part of the series, is original. The feel of the world, in terms of mechanics of magic, is still HP, but has a new flavor to it. The new magical creatures introduced are compelling, amusing, and even occasionally scary(underwater panthers, anyone?), and many bear a resemblance to Native American legends(I only recognize some, but I know little of N.A. mythology, so ...), which definitely adds to the immersion and uniqueness factor.

In contrast to many other fics, there are little or no info. dumps, and the information is introduced in snippets of conversations, fragments of books;generally in a smooth and fascinating manner.

The government structure and school structure is very different compared to HP, and the way that the world is set up works really well.

For example the government is both asshole-ish, and heavy-handed, which is a different take on a Wizarding America. Most fics have ineffective governments, so a very dictatorial one is nice to read. The school is also very unique, with no houses and a very different feel to it than Hogwarts.

Additionally, the fic has a general dystopian feel to it. Its got definite dark overtones to it, and some of the villains(the sister of the Dean) are like Umbridge; you can't help but hate them.

Characters
    The father of the main character, Abraham Thorn, is a an interesting character. There's some ambivalence about him, unlike with Voldemort, and his aims are very easy to sympathize with.

I've got mixed feelings for the main character. Alex is both likable and bratty, annoying and very endearing. In the beginning she seems a bit too childish, even for an 11-year old, but over the course of the first book, and throughout the other books, she develops into a much better(likable) character. Also, the way Inverarity kills a major character really puhes Alex in an interesting direction and I think that Alex will be even more mature and rational in the fourth part as a result.

Her thirst for knowledge, as opposed to canon Harry's ambivalence to learning, is a fun and refreshing character trait. She learns spells and defense techniques at a reasonable pace, and there's no sign of her becoming a super!character, so I'm happy about that. Also, her willingness to skirt rules and manipulate characters, while still retaining a sense of decency and morals is very realistic and interesting(I'm using this word a lot, aren't I?). The compassion and ruthlessness that she can display is also :awesome.

The side characters, like her friends, the teachers, her rivals, and her family, are interesting. The only character I don't like in the least is the Dean, as she seems unnecessarily cruel and petty, not at all fit to be an educator.

All in all, 5/5.

TLDr:- Read it for an awesome world, an interesting main character that grows on you and matures, ambivalent and realistic antagonists, and a really compelling plot. I can't wait for the next installment, and this is probably one of my favorite pieces of fanfiction. In my humble and inexpert opinion, this is original enough to be considered more of a shout-out to JKR than an outright fanfiction.

My longest post ever. :)

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, so I'll post it here.

Alexandra Quick Short -- Mysteries

I feel sort of bad posting it, seeing as how the author is a fairly active member here and hasn't mentioned it, but it is something I thought people might enjoy reading.

It features the Ozarkers and gives us a bit of insight into their home life and traditions. I thought that the "Mysteries" were an interesting addition that we're likely to see more of at some point later in the series, but they aren't really elaborated on and other than that... *shrug* It's not an epic piece of literature, but then I don't think it was meant to be.

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The author has posted here saying that the next story in this series--Alexandra Quick and the Stars Above--will begin to be posted on December 30th.

I know that the author is a member here at DLP (and if you had intended to announce this yourself Inverarity then I sincerely apologize) but I thought that I'd say something a bit early just in case there are others like myself who want to re-read the entire series before starting in on the new one. Figured I'd give a heads-up.

17. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I've been following his blog for a while now, so this isn't really news to me... but I'm soooo excited.

18. ray243

ray243 Seventh Year

19. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    2/5 I admit the Author put a lot of thought into this AU, but I just can't bring myself to like his OC.

20. Anme

Anme Professor

I hadn't taken the time yet to re-read the previous books but this first chapter already got me completely back in the story and left me wanting for more. I really love this series.