1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dexter on Showtime

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by justbrowsing, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I love this show. It's awesome to the max. BUT. Season 4 fucking sucked. He did nonstop stupid shit, let everyone know him as a different name to try to learn from Trinity, when he had too many chances to kill him. He slipped up nonstop, which was totally out of character for him.

Rita was an annoying bitch for the entire season but I hated to see her go from Dex being so retarded. Hope we see less kids more him soul searching.

2. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I kinda liked Rita, but I'm not that sad to see her go simply for the fact that the season 4 ending blew me away. Besides, I'm sure she will show up as an alternate to subconscious!Harry at some point.

As for the season 5 premiere
    Fucking awesome. The scene of him freaking out in the restroom gave me chills. I guess we're going to spend half the season with Dexter being under suspicion, reconnecting with the kids, finding a new girlfriend and killing on his off time.

3. Midknight

The casting call leaked awhile back, mentioned something about him finding a new interest with another woman. He's going to have to answer to the FBI for why he looks like Kyle Butler, from the trailers, he's fucked if the Mitchell's identify him as the guy hanging out with dad.

I just watched the season 5 opener a little while ago and was really let down. He freaked out on the weirdo at the dock. Okay. What'd he do with the body? What'd he do about all the blood all over and the DNA/hair evidence/fingerprints?

Him about to run and leave all the kids behind? Fail, that's not who the show has built him to be. Would of been a smart time for him to give up his trophy's, was facepalming when he took them, figured he was about to get caught.

The other detective suddenly fucking Deb? Made zero sense. In their world Lundy got killed a few weeks prior, she just dumped Anton, and a yesterday had his girlfriend shoot herself in the face feet away. And fucking in the house where her sister in law JUST got killed, when they were wiping her blood up? And goddamnit, if you're going to assflash us, make it be Deb, not that idiot.

And speaking of which, wtf happened to the Quinn? He's lost weight, grew his hair and looks like he took up smoking crack.

Dexter's eulogy was alright, he should of said something to explain his lateness, like I tried on a million shirts or something. The writers are having to write Dex being stupid and making panicked moves like he's about to run away, and making himself be a suspect for no reason. The guy's too smart for that shit, and they're dumbing him down and ruining his character.

4. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

But they did that from the start with Dexter. He's supposed to be a calculating sociopath trying to fit in, but he's more of a socially awkward penguin than anything else.

They seem to do that just for the convenience of the plot. He's more in danger of getting caught and found out through his own sloppiness than through any intelligence or work on the part of the other characters.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  5. justbrowsing

justbrowsing Seventh Year

It is almost like this season might be the reverse of season two. In season two everyone knew there was a serial killer but didn't think it was Dexter when it was. Now there was a murder that some people think Dexter was directly involved in when he wasn't.

In season two there was a badass black cop named Dokes on his ass. Now there is a douchebag white cop named Quinn riding his nuts. In season two he had a chick ruining his life. Now it looks like he might have a chick putting it back together (Julia Stiles from trailer).

I am sure there are more parallels but I don't feel like thinking more. I liked the episode though as a season premier but I tend to enjoy the middle episodes of the seasons more when they end on cliffhangers and everything is just so much more fast paced and suspenseful.

6. Midknight

Side note

Rita went to a new show and she looks fucking hot with the 10-20lbs she put on. Not so anorexic now.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  7. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm glad they killed Rita, it makes the show more interesting. Seriously, Dexter turning into a tame suburban dad was getting lame.

I have the image of Rita as a hypocritical, self-righteously benevolent bitch burned into my mind - having a hard time imagining her as "fucking hot".

This show is perfectly awesome, BTW. Season 4 wasn't half as good as the previous ones, but I like how this one started.

8. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Astor is a fucking bitch. That is all.

I mean, fuck. Yeah, you want to leave, but you have a younger brother that desperately wants to stay. He lost his mother too, but she can only think of herself, no matter how much time passes.

Midknight: Do you have a fetish for fat chicks or something?

9. w1lliam

w1lliam Groundskeeper

In his defence she does look fucking hawt.

Also this episode was good the charachters are always interesting, i like how the sise stories are progressing especially the Kyle Butler's.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Not saying she doesn't. But she was gorgeous when she was on Dexter, even if she was a little skinny.

11. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Quinn is a little whiny bitch. What the hell happened between S4 and S5 with the writers? He wasn't the most likable character last season but he wasn't this bad.

The episode was fairly interesting, but nowhere near as good as the first. With the Astor and Cody gone, there's a lot of potential for good things to happen. Hopefully Dexter will get back to being his best, and not make sloppy mistakes like he has since the third season.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  12. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just picked up Season one and I'm enjoying it. As of episode six, I suspect the weird doctor who plays around with prosthetic limbs and has the eyes for Deb.

13. oephyx

How I envy you. Seasons 1 and 2 were awesome.

The thing about the doctor was pretty obvious early on though.

There's still something very artificial about Cody, even though they're trying to give him a personality. The actor prolly sucks. Apart from that, this season seems okay. I hope a big central conflict comes up.

14. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

Wow, I'd considered a bunch of different possibilities for Julie Stiles' character but the reality is a pleasant surprise that I hadn't thought of at all. Really looking forward to where they're going with this. Then again, I was really looking forward to Miguel Prado's storyline and that ended up giving us the weakest season thus far... Still, keeping my fingers crossed.

15. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

That scene in the ambulance was great.

Anyone else thinking that the Nanny is somehow connected with Lila from Season 2?

Julia Stiles character will be interesting, she may make Dexter passionate for his Bloody Work again.

16. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    About Cody
    He was actually written to be artificial like that in the books because it turns out he's just like Dexter without the training of how to fake it. Dexter starts teaching him Harry's code and all his lessons like Harry did for him. Given that I think its easily possible that his whole demeanor may actually be intentional for them leading up to that. Just my opinion though.

17. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I doubt it. Cody does not have the same backstory that he did in the books.

Plus I think Astor and Cody are being written out of the show.

18. Inferis

Inferis Second Year

The writers don't follow the books except (mostly) in the first season. I remember from a panel they did they don't even read the books as they don't want to be influenced by them. I don't see TV Cody turning out like Dexter. I don't think it fits his character. I've only read the first two so far, but he's a lot quieter/emotionally withdrawn from what I remember.

I'm excited to see how Julia's character is worked into the script. How will Dexter deal with her? Will he kill her, or will he keep her hostage like he did with Doakes? The Kyle Butler angle is also interesting, though I'm disliking the Angel/LaGuerta plot line. Their relationship seemed to come out of left field in S4 and it still annoys me when I see them together.

19. oephyx

This season is totally fulfilling my expectations at this point.

Julia Stiles' charcter in particular is well done. Quinn's thinner look is still weird imo, and I hope the dirty cop sidestory develops well, because it's slightly annoying atm.

In each season the writers find new relationships and situations Dexter needs to work through... it's refreshingly non-repetitive.

20. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

This. I'm very much enjoying Julia's character. Rita was nice, but.. Lumen is awesome. I definitely like the current season.

I'm still hating LaGuerta. Especially so this season. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not. I don't really like watching the Batista/LaGuerta romance sidestory either.