1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Sol, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Wait, you mean it isn't Percy-centric?

2. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Er, no. Not in the least. It's still worth a shot.

3. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I've seen some pretty good PJO fics, but I'll have to find them.

4. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've actually been reading this and its not stellar but for Percy Jackson fics its actually quite good, I'm about half way through the third fic right now and I will say its worth a read.

5. silverlasso

I know, right? Overall it's not super spectacular, but in comparison to whatever else is out there it's pretty damn good.

6. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Excellent fic.

7. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it's ever stated how long the Olympians have been in charge of the world, or how long Kronos has been imprisoned? For some reason I thought the number 5000 was thrown out somewhere, maybe in Lost Hero, but I'm not sure. Could be very, very wrong on my part.

The one number I am sure of is that Daedalus lived 3000 years before the story began, which would put him pretty much smack center in the time of Greek mythology.

8. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Far as I remember, no amount of years has been stated in mythology. It kindof beats the purpose.

9. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

:facepalm

The books dude, the books.

10. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Same thing. The books have worked hard not to seriously contradict anything stated in mythology.

11. silverlasso

Okay, I finally finished reading the Broken Bow series; earlier I said it wasn't super spectacular, but after reading it all, I think it comes pretty close. The fourth one drags on a bit in some sections, but overall, it is really good. Without a doubt the best PJO fic I have read, and probably high up there in terms of enjoyment out of all the fics I've read. I am seriously anticipating the fifth story in the series...

12. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

13. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

I agree with you on this note. Broken Bow actually ranks above some HP fics I like in terms of enjoyability. Although the whole "Eris-is-the-Big-Bad" subplot is a bit cliche in the PJO universe. At least the author had the guts to make Artemis (the goddess) Badass enough to smack-down those who question her. There are too many bad PJO fics out there where Artemis acts like a twelve year-old girl and isn't as vicious as her RL mythological counterpart.

Has anyone actually read the Lost Hero, btw? It's the first book in Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series, a planned set of five books which are to be sequels to PJO. Most people will agree with me that HoO and LH are darker and edgier than PJO... but whether that is a good thing is still a little divisive.

Most critics seem to like it at least as much as PJO. The main character of Lost Hero is certainly boss, even tougher than Percy. Plus we FINALLY get a decent, visible Child of Aphrodite - Piper McLean. Call her Pocahontas, and she'll smack you. Hard.

14. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    See personally that's part of one of the biggest problems I had with the Lost Hero. While I really do like the fact that Aphrodite's kids got an upgrade from being nearly worthless, it feels like Piper got upgraded all the way to Mary Sue. All the way from non-threat to she can charm speak the Titan Queen back to sleep? That's one fuck ton of a boost. It really just felt to me like every time we turned around in that book Piper was either A. being marveled over how beautiful and amazing she was by freaking everyone or B. getting some new power up to mythical ancient dagger of Helen to being able to charmspeak Gaia. I mean maybe I'm just blowing things out of proportion but something about her character just rubbed me the wrong way after about chapter seven to the end of the book.

15. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

You're probably right that Piper has some Mary-Sue tendencies; I'm just damn relieved that the "Venus-spawn" finally got decent powers which wasn't just general physical attractiveness, considering how useless they were in PJO. I mean, Silena was okay, but her big role stemmed from her spying, which can't really be attributed to Aphrodite. D:

On Piper though, I had mixed feelings about her and the notion of her being a full-blown Mary-Sue. In LH, although her charmspeaking allowed her to "slow down" Gaia, she curiously played the Damsel in Distress role more often than most Mary Sues. In fact, apart from that last battle, she was the one knocked out the most from her, Jason and Leo. Her charmspeaking didn't work on Midas, who just bitch-slapped her into a gold statue, and she couldn't do anything to the Cyclops family; she wasn't a very good fighter in terms of swords and stuff.

Indeed, one can argue that she is a rather pathetic fighter, physically speaking, and her only power is charmspeaking, which requires constant talking for an extended, uninterrupted period of time. The Cyclops Mama recognised this - remember how Piper got knocked out clean by the Mama? Leo, I think, had to rescue her and Jason.

Even when Piper was charmspeaking Gaia, it only slowed down what was inevitable and bought a little bit of time, instead of stopping it outright. Once again, Leo had to do all the work and break open Hera's cage.

So, once again, I'm forced to ask myself if Piper is a Mary-Sue. She's definitely a Damsel in Distress (she plays that role quite a few times, actually, although she did save Jason from Medea) in some parts in LH. But does that make her a Mary-Sue? Are Mary-Sues characters who are impossibly perfect and win their fights, instead of being the weakest link?

Piper is beautiful with the great personality, but her Damsel-ness/lack of talents except for charmspeaking (which can be easily neutralised through physical combat and one, good slap) makes me confused.

If she is a Mary-Sue, she can't be the most ordinary one out there, unlike Miss Ginny Weasley (seriously, at least Piper is weak and has some flaws, combat-wise; Ginny is never seen losing a fight, even in the DoM where Neville gets bloodied and touched up by Bellatrix, Ron has a murderous brain attached to him, Hermione gets Dolohov-ed, Harry gets mind-raped, and Luna gets knocked out cold.

What does Ginny get? Just a fractured ankle. Plus Ginny, unlike Piper, is given the Bat-Bogey Hex of no flaws! Not even a time-clause like charmspeaking (speaker must maintain speaking for a long, uninterrupted period of time, and must not lose concentration)

...Sorry, I've been confused by my stance on Piper, and needed to air a few things.

16. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Okay, bumping this thread. But I have a good reason!

The cover and first chapter of the Son of Neptune are up!

http://cdn3.dolimg.com/explore/PMPages/Printable/Son_of_Neptune_preview.pdf

And there's more good news!

Percy is still invincible; none of that fanon 'lose his invincibility' shit.

Percy's still badass; the chapter puts it best:

And, most importantly of all, Percy is still a main character! His name is at the tp of a chapter like Jason, Piper, and the other guy's were in TLO.

The boy is back.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  17. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Good to know Percy is still a main character because 1: it would been a major waste to not feature him after the previous series and 2: I like Percy more than Jason.

Really looking forward to the new book. I hope it is the same length as the Lost Hero.

18. silverlasso

Percy will be a main character? Fuck yes. This gives me an excuse to actually read Lost Hero.

19. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    What he said. It's been sitting on my computer forever.

However much I want Percy to be a main character again, I fear that for some stupid reason, his power will be demoted, in whatever way. Where's the drama when the main character can just kick the ass of whatever gets in his way? He is no longer the underdog. And books like these are suckers for underdogs.
    I really, really hope I'm wrong in this.

20. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

I figure Percy will end up being a battering ram that takes care of the annoying foot soldiers in Gaeas army and spliting the big bad monsters with Jason.