1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Truer words were never written.

2. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I just hope that the story becomes exciting soon.

3. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Lulz. Because this story just isn't good enough with its great characterization of just about everyone, plot, and writing.

4. Oxy

Oxy Seventh Year

Btw Santi what is that "Seven Days" thing on your signature? Is it another story or something? Just wondering out of curiousity.

5. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

The story is enjoyable but it is losing its charm with nothing happening.

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Not all stories need an action scene every other scene. Not all stories need a huge mystery to be solved. This story (so far) is about Harry gradually progressing through Durmstrang and the trials he has to go through.

It's obviously going to start to kick into gear once the Triwizard Tournament starts/ends (depending on whether Santi has Harry going to Hogwarts or not). So until then it's nice to see Harry go to a different school that isn't horribly cliched like Miranda Flairgold's school. You do realize that all of this is entirely new material, that he isn't just rehashing the books with slight differences? That's what makes it interesting and good.

7. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Updated in WbA.

Oxy: Seven Days is the project I'll probably take on after I finish this story. I've already started outlining the fic, but I'm holding off on writing until BWL is almost done. Without giving anything away, it's my attempt to show how a realistic Wizard/Muggle War would likely play out.

8. Sirius Issues

Sirius Issues First Year

Nice update, bit of story progression. At first I wasn't too keen on Grindelwald's room as I assumed it to be in the student dormitory and the fact it was so heavily enchanted seemed unlikely, even for a fifth year, however I liked the way you explained it in the end.

The handling of the animagus process was good as well, rather than falling into the clichéd routine of potion/meditation. Victor's reaction on the other hand is interesting. On one hand you have the Grindlewald/Krum family history along with being overworked but on the other you have quidditch prodigy. I am not too sure why he would be upset at Harry.

EDIT: On second thought (or read I should say), the room isn't too good an idea. Suggesting that Grindelwald slept in the student wing seems odd unless the other professors also have their rooms along there, considering you wrote that he became Highmaster.

Also I don't really like "untransfiguration", maybe reverse transfiguration? He is reversing the limb to its natural state.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  9. Celestin

You know how you recognize that the writer is really, really good? He takes idea that has a big potential to fail (like Gellert Grindelwald's private super room) and makes it win instead.

I'm also curious how Calypso and anyone else he will ask for it will describe Harry for him.

I like idea of Harry and Filius becoming pen pals, writing about Charms development and so on, but we will see if it will go this way.

And by the way Santi, if you want to write it after BWL, you should add this in your signature - "Seven Days to arrive in 2013". ;)

10. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Untransfigure is canon. McGonagall mentions this during Harry's career advice in his fifth year.

Liked the update overall. Grindelwald's private room did not impress me much but you explained it well.

11. CleanRag

CleanRag Professor

I found the use of 'untransfiguration' awkward as well. It just made me pause. Canon or not it disrupts the flow of the story.

Also at the end of the first part of 11 Harry mentions that he cant meditate for his animagus form in Viktor's room. So there is a slight continuity error.

Otherwise the update put a smile on my face. I think this is the first story I've read that has been declared on hiatus and was picked up again.

12. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I heartily approve of a Calypso/Harry pairing: the potential fallout between Harry's family and himself over his romantic interest is a good angle to use, especially if/when the family's murky history is known to the Potters.

13. gullibleoats

gullibleoats Seventh Year

I honestly thought you'd break in the new chapter with the occlumency lessons with Calypso, but I guess that turmoil can wait. I was pleasantly surprised, however, when it opened with progress of the animagus transformation. I really can't wait to see him complete it this year. I really like the way you looked at the animagus transfiguration, leaving no definite answers as to how one can transform, and yet at the same time maintaining a primal level of connection with that type of magic. Comparing this to other means of completing the animagus transformation, this is by far, the best. Honestly, it boggles my mind sometimes to see so many fics just using a magical potion to jumpstart the animagus transformation. Your way still has some mystical element, but it doesn't sound overrated or overly stupid. I think it's great that your way doesn't belittle the achievement at all, but rather glorifies it.

I thought the bit about Grindelwald's room was alright. It certainly emphasizes his ability as an Enchanter and shows the after effects of Grindelwald's stay. I'm guessing you'll probably have Harry de-enchant that curse mark of his later on, given the strong emphasis of his unbreakable charms.

Overall, as you said, this wasn't really much of an action update. It felt more filler than usual, but I suppose if you say it was necessary then it was necessary.

As always I eagerly await the next installment with bated breath.

P.S.
    Please, please, please. Don't make Harry's animagus form a jaguar, a lion, or anything else from the cat family. Also, please don't make his colour black when he's an animal, unless the animal is actually black. I just don't see any practical use for a jaguar in this day and age. Considering you aren't any where near conspicuous as that large of a cat, and all you really need is a well aimed cutting curse and it's dead.That and being pitch black as the night will get you seen during the day.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  14. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Good update. I found only one mistake.
    [history nerd mode on]Ottoman Empire didn't exist until 1299. In 10th century most of Anatolia (or Asia Minor) was controlled by the Byzantine Empire under the Macedonian Dynasty which was at it's peak with people like Nikephoros II Phokas, John I Tzimiskes and Basileios II Boulgaroktonos [/history nerd mode off]

15. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    "It was a fairly sharp pain,"

"Competent"

For it's size, it was an great chapter, as usual. Glad to hear more is coming, though I have to say that I'd rather see a well polished chapter a week later rather than a rushed chapter tomorrow. But if it suits you, then I don't think it's such a problem.
    Great chapter.

16. Celestin

By the way - I vote Honey Badger as Harry's Animagus form. Because they are - :awesome .

17. Sirius Issues

Sirius Issues First Year

That is AWESOME. Then again, anything that kills snakes is fantastic in my book.

I would like to see Harry the Mearkat. Any animal that can write an autobiography and manage a multinational company has to be pretty clever right?

18. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

While the Honey Badger is indeed a very :awesome creature, they are three things that Harry is not; stupendously fearless, rather gluttonous, and physically extremely active and powerful for their size.

Of course, Harry is just as determined as a Honey Badger, if not more so, so that's a least one trait that fits. Other than being awesome, but just because a person is incredibly awesome doesn't mean their animagus form will be the same, since, y'know, awesomeness is not decided by any one trait, or even grouping of traits, whether physical or mental.

19. Celestin

Mere details. ;)

20. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Good update.

Maybe I'm tired, but when I read that, for some reason I thought Harry was proving Calypso's progress. To make it clear, you can push down the "she's made progress herself" to the end of that quote. Minor point.

Other minor detail, but has the password changed from "Excellence above all" to "for the greater good"?

In general, it's still great to see Harry steady progression to be a gifted wizard. Very few fics do this well, and it's the counterpoint to everything that makes me rage about overpowered OotP redo fics.

The irony.

Oh right. I remember now.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
Not open for further replies.