1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. EinStern

EinStern Seventh Year

"Excellence above all" is the password to the Highmaster's office, not to Harry's new private study/GG's old suite.

2. b3serker

b3serker First Year

Nice jab at the animagus cliches :) Wish there was a tad more backlash regarding Harry's leaving early, but still an awesome update.

3. luckykas

luckykas First Year

Loved the update. The lack of action is not a concern. The character development is going really well and that makes the fic a very interesting to read. One of the irritations in canon was that Rowling's Harry stopped progressing after the fourth book. There was zero character development beyond the triwizard tournament. I like your Harry realizing his potential as a wizard. All characters are developing nicely.

Loved your portrayal of Occlumency training. Keeps in line with canon and still quite believable. Nice jab at the animagus trainings in other fics too. Keep in mind, different magical cultures may have different ways of making the transformation, so meditation and potions is not too far fetched. (Bungle in the Jungle is very good). Also bear in mind that a third rate wizards like Pettigrew and Rita Skeeter managed the transformation so it might have a shortcut.

Liked the way you have Filius become stricter and more hands on with the Ravens. He is generally portrayed as a good guy in canon and ficdom. In light of that Luna's torment for many years (before DA) did not make much sense. Hope Harry and Flitwick manage to reconnect to some extent as you have shown Filius genuinely remorseful for his oversight and actively working to ensure it never happens again. Perhaps he may contribute to Harry's projects indirectly.

As of this update both Harry and Grindelwald are in a places enchanted by Grindelwald. After reading your awesome portrayal of the man, I am sure Grindelwald has some way of monitoring his chambers especially if he enchanted them himself. The only thing left to see is if Grindelwald can now contact or influence Harry in any way. He already has been interested in Harry after the article.

Seriously your portrayal of him got me hooked. Here is a foe much deadlier, cunning and intelligent than Voldemort in canon or most Fanfics.

Looking forward to possibly getting some clues to Harry's animagus form. Thank you for the update.

4. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Santi, you're a boss.

Poor everyone else--Harry's just too cool for school. It's almost too much, but Harry's reaction to the praise heaped on him (embarrassment, modesty) helps to balance things.

One thing I noticed (and it's not a huge deal, but eh) is when you mentioned the big window in Grindelwald's room and its view of the pitch and grounds, is that... I have no idea what the pitch or grounds look like at all. Or really even the features of the castle for that matter. If I had to point out one thing that displeased me about your story, it's the lack of descriptive details.

Anywayz. Nice work, bro. :D

OMFG, I've been thinking this exact thing. D:

5. b3serker

b3serker First Year

Oh wow.... I never knew they were so badass. Jeez thats amazing.

6. luckykas

luckykas First Year

I don't think Honey badger is appropriate for Harry in this fic even if it is a very badass animal. Bravery and fearlessness are not Harry's primary qualities. His primary characteristic would be intelligence and determination.

This Harry has not shown any particular interest in flying either so any avian form is also not too likely. Perhaps due to his occlumency training before his animagus training, he might be able to separate his 'self' from the transformation. Thereby being able to transform into more than one animals. He has been distinguishing himself already in academic circles.

At least in canon, only Snape is both animagus and occlumens, but most likely he learned occlumency later during his spying days after he managed the animagus. Makes sense for him to try for the transformation after the scare with Lupin when Black sent him to the shrieking shack.

Harry has already mastered occlumency to a degree...

7. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Lolwut? Snape's an animagus now?

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

You mean fanon, because in the books Snape doesn't have any Animagus form.

9. luckykas

luckykas First Year

My apologies if it is incorrect. But it was implied in Deathly Hallows that when Hogwarts was retaken by professors before the final battle, Snape escaped by turning into a bat. I have worked hard to forget that particular book.

"With a tingle of horror, Harry saw in the distance a huge, bat like shape flying
    through the darkness toward the perimeter wall. "

I thought he was an animagus as well. Seems I was mistaken...

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Snape could fly Voldemort-style in canon.

11. Mustaine

Mustaine Second Year

Yeah, he was using the same trick Voldemort had used to chase Harry and Hagrid. I'm jealous of you, though. Sometimes what has been seen cannot be unseen. :(

Edit: ninja'd by Perspicacity.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  12. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I have the overwhelming urge to slap you right now. I loathe that fanon cliche.

13. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Yes! Uber!Harry can transform into a rare, long dead species of Dragon, a deadly Basilisk type snake perhaps with wings, a Nundu, a Stag, a Flobberworm and Paris Hilton!

14. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

You guys seem to be forgetting that Santi has already revealed that Harry's Animagus form will be a phoenix/hydra crossbreed...

15. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Boy that would be one freaky lookin bastard. Are there actually stories where Harry turns into a hydra? Because, like, they have multiple heads... how would that work, exactly? Would it be copies of the same brain in each one? Would they all be thinking the same thing? o_O

Anyway.. if it isn't a honey badger (which I like for Harry, but maybe not this Harry)... I really feel like something in the weasel/ badger family would fit. I mean, they're ridiculously crafty, badass, resourceful little creatures, and in some cases (wolverines) even apex predators. I guess it kind of depends on whether you're working based on what sort of connotations an animal has, versus its actual characteristics. Like owls: associated with wisdom, but in actual fact are pretty stupid as far as birds go.

The problem with a lot of the cunning/ intelligent animals (barring larger ones like elephants, dolphins, chimps) is that they often become a 'nuisance' creature--coyotes, raccoons, rats, crows, etc--because they're smart enough to capitalize on human activities. And since they're always messin with our shit, we don't like them, lol.

16. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

This. Some of the most symbolically appropriate animals lack nobility and/or lack usefulness as an animagus form.

I mean, this Harry reminds me a bit of an octopus, really - octopuses are among the most intelligent invertebrates, and very versatile. But turning into a slow, squishy, aquatic octopus is next to useless.

A chimpanzee is intelligent and can be crafty, and its animagus forum is far more useful. But the chimp lacks the nobility of some bird species, or a honey badger, or even a dog.

Ultimately I'd go for a bird, I think. I'd compromise on intelligence and go for one of the hunting birds, rather than one of the crafty scavenger types, because I suspect this Harry will be a hunting type once the Voldemort fighting begins. A hunting bird suits Harry more than a honey badger would; the honey badger is (slightly ironically, perhaps) about as Gryffindor as predators get.

17. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

He did? Must have missed that. Is it fanon or canon that you can't transform into magical creatures as animagus?

18. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm pretty sure that Random Shinobi is just trolling for lulz. The Santi was joking when he mentioned Harry's ultimate phoenix/hydra form. Read it for yourself:

19. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

Good. I was worrying already.

20. Parac

Parac First Year

This, basically. If you want to get Harry's form to reflect intelligence you probably have to take mythical traits associated with the animal in question. Sadly the only close ones I can think of that might fit would be a fox, lynx or a snake - and I really don't like the idea of it being another snake.

Though if we go by perception of those around Harry (-> effing weird) we might finally get a chance at having a duck-billed platypus. :awesome

Not open for further replies.