1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Would you die to save your best friend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master Slytherin, May 17, 2006.

1. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

So in the books Rowling portrays Wormtail as a coward because he wouldn't give his life in return for keeping Lily and James secret. Really that's one of the main themes in the book (the power of friendship) and we see Harry saving his friends' asses every book with no regard for his own safety.

Would you, in Wormtail's position, have died to save your best friend?

Would you, in any other situation, die to save your best friend?

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

No, I would've died to spite a man that dare ask me to kneel before him.

Depends whose doing the killing, likely, no.

3. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Yes for my best friend yes.

4. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Fuck it. I'm not gonna be all brave and shit here.

If I'm Pettigrew, without a chance in the world of defending myself against Voldemort, then i would do nothing.

Fuck protecting my friend, and fuck betraying him either. If Voldemort was in front of me, ready to kill me if i don't betray my friends, then i would do the following:

1) Stick my tongue out, make a funny face at Voldie.

2) Dodge the first Avada Kedavra.

3) Cast my own, at myself.

Suicide.

Simple, really. If i didn't have a hope of escaping, and if the cost of living was the death of my friend, i'd just kill myself. Easier than having to make a decision that either kills you or your best friend.

And yes, i don't call that bravery...i call it the easy way out.

5. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Would I die for my best friend? I don't think I'd be able to answer that until I was actually faced with the decision. I'd definatly die for my girlfriend though.

6. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

If faced with Pettigrew's situation I would off myself to as xip0 put it "spite a man that dared to ask me to kneel before him."

But in tbe general sense, yes -- I would. And I know that they would do the same for me.

I've been friends with both since infancy, and they are better family than the one I have the distinct dishonor of being related to by blood.

7. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

No.

I wouldn't.

Why would I? I'm gonna save him from grieving for me.

Call me a pussy, but the only people I would ever die for are my mom and my brother.

Best friends come and go, so do girlfriends. You think you're gonna know them 10-20 years down the road? People change.

8. CGB

CGB Auror

Like Taure I can't answer the question. I think I would but I'm really not sure. Of course Amerision is right too. People change. Maybe I would die for them now but not in 5 years.

9. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

No, I wouldn't die to save them. But I would not betray them, either. I would probably refuse to be the secret keeper, knowing that I would not be willing to give my life for them.

10. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

It's weird. You often hear that a guy would die for his girlfriend, but I have never heard how a girl would die for her boyfriend.

Anyway it's easy to theories how you would react in situation like that, but the instinct of self-preservation is quite powerful, so I think the majority would just try to save their own asses.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  11. Myst

Myst Headmaster

I wouldnt get in a situation like that in the first place... but I prolly would save my bets friends ass, only if my ass could be saved along the way.

12. ixazncha0six

ixazncha0six Raptured to Hell

As much as I would like to say yes, I would not. But I would not betray them either. The only person I would die for is my family.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm...I'm more likely to die for my friends than my family...My family and I don't get on too well.

14. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

This is one question that's impossible to answer, unless actually faced with the decision. I mean, sure, I could say, "Of course I would! I'm not a coward!" but how would we know that for a fact?

And Amerision, meh, that happens with friends, not best friends, in my opinion. A best friend is someone that will always be friends with you, no matter how far apart you are from her/him. Er...just forget the cheesiness, I couldn't think of any other way to phrase that. :p

15. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I dont think i would die for anyone, they wouldnt be worth it....

But seriously. It is too hard to say unless faced witht he situation, I would like to think that should Voldemort tip up at my humble abode and threaten me with death if i didnt tell him where my mate was, that I could prevail and keep quiet.

However, once the torture starts....??....

16. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Exact opposite, I know my brothers would stand with me, as would 1 of my friends, so for those people, I would die.

More out of spite then anything, though.

17. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

It depends, some friendships break apart... But generally speaking, friendships that have lasted 18 years don't break apart like that. Especially considering some of the strains that have been put on them over the years, like moving -- different schools, distance, and random miscommunications/acts of stupidity. Despite all that the friendships have remained as strong as ever.

But for me, blood family is not family -- they are acquintances. My friends are my real family.

18. Amerision

How many friends and girlfirends have you been in a relationship with for 18 years - your entire natural life?

I know that I will probably never see my high school girlfriends and buddies again when I go to college. They'll fade away when I meet my new college drinking buddies.

Maybe you'll see them when you visit your homoetown, or run into them in Walmart on vacation...

Would you be willing to for them with that knowledge in hand?

19. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Two friends. They are the two previously mentioned.

And as for going away to college, all of us are staying local until I go to DC or NY for grad school.

As I said, those two friends are better family than my blood family.

So yes, I would lay down my life for them if it came down to it, and they would do the same for me. It might be a foreign concept to you, but somethings transcend basic friendship. And if you haven't had the joy of that type of friendship, then I pity you -- and hope that some day in the future, you will.

EDIT: I just realized how much the above made me sound like a self-righteous asshole *smacks self in forehead*... But what I was trying to say was that there are some friendships that are just special, because there is no other word for them. They simply are. There's no real way to define a truly close lifelong friendship -- it just is

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  20. Amerision

It might be the fact that I have moved three times in my life, thus breaking any chance of deep meaningful friendships.

Though thinking again, I realize there is a friend I do care alot for, and MAY offer my life for. We don't always get along, but we're always there for each other. We have our downs and highs, but in the end, we go see a movie and that makes it all better.

It all really goes down to the situation. I'm not saying that your friends are not awesome, and that you guys care for each other alot, but you can never know. Some of the easiest lies are those we tell ourselves, because we start to believe them.

Pretty words are pretty things, but pretty things tend to be fragile.