1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Feoffic, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah I saw that.

Would be nice if the chests were linked, and a lot bigger. I decided to go exploring after stashing my stuff, and died, and then spent like an hour getting back down there. I've looked into water elevators, and I'll probably use those or carts, but then it's another few hours getting down my mine how I want it, lol.

Someone answer my multiplayer questions

If I were to get it, and play on say Vash's server, how stable is it. Will I spend a week making something and then loose it to an update/crash?

2. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Depending on what server mods are installed (none on Vash's server, I believe), people can take whatever they want and destroy whatever they want. If PVP is on (like Vash's server, lawl...) people can kill each other and take their shit that way too. There are mods to protect structures and lock chests, but I don't know if they work with the latest release (and they break every release). PVP can be turned off so you can't kill each other, but where's the fun in trying to fight mobs as a group if you can accidentally kill one of your friends?

Vash's server has some lag spikes occasionally. If you thought fighting mobs in single player was difficult, you'll probably shit yourself multiple times an hour playing multiplayer. The latency is a real killer, literally. So far as I know, however, no one that plays is a griefer so you don't really have to worry about someone destroying the things you build or taking your items.

To be honest, the only thing that interested me in playing multiplayer was helping build some epic things. The lag (and the reappearing blocks) piss me off, so I have to stop and take breaks.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. Midknight

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I think one of the Mojang guys suggested a new item called a "Nether Chest" that does that linked chest thing (with a fairly absurd cost of 8 obsidian to make a single one), and I really like it. It has not been implemented, unfortunately.

I've lost so much ore that I could have saved if it was. :(

5. Veri

Veri Denarii Host

So, I've been working on a minecart track for the past few days (took probably 6 or 7 hours in all) and I thought I'd post it for your possible enjoyment. Using Autocart the track is a bit more than 2 minutes long. In all honesty, it was much more fun to build than to use, but still, it's fairly cool even if it doesn't measure up to some of the epic creations of other members.

Download.

6. Midknight

Few problems.

I could teleport the first few hours, after the server kicked me out it recognizes me as Zombie when I log in and won't let me teleport, but will let me /home.

Getting in and out of boats I get stuck nonstop

I died this morning due to falling, and my items vanish. Restocked, logged back in a few ago, and my inventory on my guy was wiped out =/

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Thats most likely bukkit failure.

8. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

To be honest, so far Bukkit seems like a total failure overall. I was amazed at how well things were running when it was disabled, and get increasingly frustrated with things when it is running. (I.E.: Blocks reappearing, not being able to get through doors [I had to find a pair of blocks to break to get into the town hall; I felt like a griefer.])

It's too bad hey0 stopped developing his, but Bukkit is definitely a poor replacement.

In any case, we can has? http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/tp...warping-needs-use-your-waypoints-file-86.476/

Also, is this the one you're using to protect a certain area? http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/wo...ds-blacklist-sponges-block-fire-creepers.790/ Turning off creeper detonations in town would be awesome...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Is Bukkit even finished?

10. Midknight

Any option to make the torches brighter, or the ability to make something brighter then a torch? I find even with my monitor's settings cranked up, and nvidia's settings tweaked, once night hits I got to freaking lay out landing strips of them to see anything.

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Glowstone and Jack O'lanterns are both brighter than torches, but not by much.

12. Midknight

Cool ty. Figured I'd use lava spilling off the sides to light it, but it's not much brighter, and causes some serious jerkiness when I'm around so I tried to take it down. Did a bucket of lava at one corner, went up a level, did another bucket. Tried to take them down after a few minutes, now I"m stuck with lava pillars off the sides of my towers, lol. Broken liquid physics are broken.

13. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

For those of us on the server, I've started to build a wall around town to address the WHOA-CREEPER-IN-THE-MIDDLE-OF-TOWN-FUCK-NO-DON'T-EXPLODE problems we've been having.

It'll be a 5-block tall, Cobblestone wall with torches along the battlements, and there's probably a need for something to keep spiders from climbing the thing as well. If there's some structure you want included or some land you want the wall to avoid, please let me know.

I've started building around Gizmore's place, and I'll continue doing so over the next few days. If there's anybody that wants to pitch in, that'd be super awesome.

14. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I bought Lutris Minecraft and ruined his days of things like life and sleep.

I'm such a great friend.

15. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

And during Finals week too.

Who needs studying and good grades when you've got Minecraft? :awesome

16. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

As for mods that help you protect stuff, they can be a pain.

I am a moderator of Team Liquid's minecraft server and we have about 100 people online most times. With whitelists and a fuckton of moderating we are able to keep the griefing to a minimum but it still happens from time to time.
    We have a deal with the admins of TL, if you get banned from the server you get banned from the website and that helps a lot.

We are having less and less problems with people actually destroying things, it's more cases of people stealing and modifying other people's property. We have a sophisticated log though so we can see who did what and revert it if we want too.

17. Midknight

The spiders can't climb upside down, so you could get away with what I did around my citadel, and built 3 up, and on the third one have a lip/overhand. I died again and lost a ton of stuff, found out why, best guess anyway

Lost the diamonds Jon gave me, and the bow Zombie gave me damnit =/

Also what's communal? I put some dirt in the storage area, and I borrowed a few sticks of TNT to help make my hole under the citadel, let some meat, saw a bad ass unground tree farm.

18. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Anything in that building (and under it), and (as soon as it's finished) the storage area next to Coyote's (?) bakery.

@Lutris As far as I know, spiders cannot climb sandstone. :3

One thing that would help keep Jon or Zombie from having to spawn us items when we die are kits. I think I saw a Bukkit plugin for that the other day too. I'm half tempted to learn Java so I can write us our own plugins...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  19. Sferics

Sferics Second Year

20. Midknight

There is a glass and a took kit setup already, didn't see any others.