1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Rebel and the Chosen by chelseyb1010 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Scott, Apr 9, 2011.

1. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

I honestly don't know about the last chapter. While yes, I was raging and face-palming at Harry's stupidity, it is neither unexpected, nor is it inconsistent with what we have seen so far.

Because that kind of immaturity is exactly how canon-Harry was in book 6. He struggles with the fact that he is not regarded as an adult, and as such can't do things he thinks he should be able to (ie join the order, contribute more towards the cause against Voldemort), is fucking stubborn once he gets set on an idea (Malfoy, even though in the end he was right), and every time someone doubts his logic or conclusions (that were always very shaky), he thinks that person is belittling him. And that's exactly what we see here.

The author has made pretty clear from the beginning that she is not intent on changing canon dramatically, or at all. I mean, she had a poll on her author page on whether or not she should include Tonks on the Hocrux hunt. Additionally, this is one of those fics were I don't want the author to make big changes to canon. It's one of those niche fics that aren't too complicated or demanding to the reader, but rather concentrate of the reason why they are written (in this case, it's the relationship between Tonks and Harry), and leave the rest to canon. Trying to deviate from canon now would be a massive task for the author, and I'm not sure at all if she possesses the creativity and the skill to make it interesting. It's one of the reasons why I for example like The Diary of Fleur Delacour, but hate it's sequel.

tl;dr: Chapter 17 wasn't worse than the ones before. It wasn't better, either. Still a solid 2/5, and will never get higher, due to the nature of the fic.

2. Lady Emerald

Lady Emerald Squib

I don't know why, but this fic appeals to me.
    The only thing bothering me in the beginning is that it is exactly like canon.
    Like others have noticed, I don't have high hopes for this getting past fluffiness. 3/5

3. Cinduri

Cinduri Squib

New chapter posted a little while ago. As a person who never really liked angst, I am surprised to say that the story was actually more interesting before the relationship started. Now it's starting to feel a bit too much like Tonks is a relationship teacher than an actual girlfriend.

4. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

:|

"Solid 2/5" seems slightly contradictory, and it does the author credit to claim that it's the nature of the story that restrains it to that rating.

As it is, it's an okay guilty pleasure. I tend to like Harry/Tonks, and I found this readable but it's not library worthy. The beginning is boring, and the fluff gets very heavy-handed in the later chapters.

I also expected Harry's character to deviated from canon slightly - he seemed to be showing a bit more maturity, but perhaps not.

3/5, decent shipfic.

5. addictedforlife

addictedforlife High Inquisitor

"Solid 2/5" means nothing more than that the fic is better than a normal 2/5, but not enough so that it can be bumped up to a 3/5. What's so contradictory about it? :(

6. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Considering the stories wich gets 2 out of 5 saying this story anything less than 3 stars is injustice

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

8. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Shut your bitch mouth when you talk to me!

What I meant was that the story could have held some interest for me if Tonks' character was killed. Perhaps Harry would have used her memory as some kind of stepping stone towards not being a complete embarassment. Maybe it would have driven him to become an Auror or something--anything to take away the awful alternating fluff and angst.

Of course I understand it's meant to be a Harry/Tonks pairing and obviously that can't happen if one of them is dead. And I'm being more than a little harsh on this story, because it's not that bad, but generic relationship driven bullshit like this fic do not need to be in the library.

No offense intended, knight.

And what the fuck is with the terrible tags? Y'all some nerds.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  9. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

1/5

No to fluff by canon HP.

10. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I honestly don't understand how this fic deserves 1/5. Really. You might not rate it 4/5 or 5/5, but one star?

Come on, son.

11. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

The story works simply because it's a Harry/Tonks story. The fact is this story adds virtually nothing content-wise to canon (except altering the dates of the Azkaban breakout) and is nothing but decently written relationship interaction - nothing spectacular - but nothing truly bad. What bugs me is that if someone had written this story - and made it Harry/Ginny or Harry/Hermione, I wouldn't touch it.

3/5

12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

13. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Now I wonder if someone is going to tag that thread with retarded tags...

14. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

15. Cinduri

Cinduri Squib

I'm such a huge fan of Tonks and this pairing that I'm really trying my best to enjoy this fic and it's mostly working. The latest chapter was actually fairly well written, and among the better ones of the fic so far. However, I'm starting to feel like this Harry is too much like his canon self to actually have a working relationship with Tonks. It feels a bit forced at times.

16. Gulliver

Gulliver Second Year

I managed to read through this despite the absence of anything resembling a hook.

The last few chapters have simply been alternating between 'Oh no, Harry and Tonks are fighting!' and 'Hooray, they made up!', which just isn't anything worth reading, really.

2/5

17. naidrodro

naidrodro Fourth Year

I really want to like this story as H/T has, is, and probably will always be my favorite pairing, but I dislike the romantic aspect being the focus of the story. Still, its H/T and well written, 3/5 from me.

It actually put me in the mood to read Summer of Change again.

18. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Chapter 20 is up

19. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

I'm iffy on it. It has good bits and bad, but Tonks seemed to out of character -- well not out of character -- but make her as much of a bad girl as possible but still have her canon traits? 2/5.

20. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Chapter 21 is up.

Some minor changes to canon, but still not too much. I liked it better than last chapter's collection of drabbles. It had a little more flow, if anything.

I do hope there will be some actual changes soon. It's not much more than canon with coloured sprinkles instead of strawberry sauce right now. Hopefully Tonks will join the Horcrux hunt after Dumbledore kicks the bucket. That could actually turn this canon-appendix into a real story.