1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Pokemon League: U WANNA BE LIKE GARY MOTHERF***ING OAK?

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Seratin, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Personally, I'd rather keep the gym system and open it up for battling again.

How about we have a vote?

2. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I don't really care for the ladder system nor the gym system(mainly because of limited participation and ease). I'd rather we just have more tournaments or if we have a gym system, make it unthemed. Take like the top few players on DLP and have them use whatever team they want so as to make it more challenging.

Edit: Also, since I know tourneys are a bother to host, I'd be willing to host one if wanted/needed.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Gym Badges

So, a little while back I made badges for every gym. I was going to wait until the gym leader tourny finished, but it never did for some reason. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

Separate image versions:

Dark
    [​IMG]

Psychic
    [​IMG]

Water
    [​IMG]

Fire
    [​IMG]

Steel
    [​IMG]

Normal
    [​IMG]

Grass
    [​IMG]

Electric
    [​IMG]

And an icon to indicate having beaten everyone to be used like the donator star, since someone suggested it in this thread:
    [​IMG]

4. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

I think the ladder system might be nice, but I'd much rather just do more tournaments. If it's decided to implement it I'd like it alongside the current system, not replacing it. Plus, the idea of getting a little crown next to your name for beating the entire DLP Pokemon League is ridiculously awesome.

5. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I say we hold off on starting tournaments for the time being. They are much more demanding than the ladder/gyms, and sadly, there isn't much of a demand for Pokemon...

As for the ladder, I prefer the usual ladder point's system. At first you gain/lose tons of points on every game, and eventually you stabilize on a much more accurate rating than the one proposed could ever accomplish.

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could do a combination. You start off with 100 points, gain two for a win, one for a draw, lose one for a loss (two for the opposition not losing a pokemon during the battle?). When you reach 150 points and are in the top five you can challenge a gym leader, using up fifty points in the process.

Would probably need more active participants for that though.

7. Grubdubdub

Just scale down the number of points needed to challenge a Gym Leader and it should be fine. Great idea, methinks.

8. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I like the points / gym leader combination, but I don’t know if it’ll work. We couldn’t even complete a regular gym challenge before interest died out (I think only one person made it to the Elite Four). Plus I don’t think there’s enough people to operate eight gyms, an Elite Four, and have enough challengers left over to keep the pot stirring. I say that instead of gym leaders we just have an Elite Four only, made up of our tournament winners and best players.

And yeah, scale back the points quite a bit. Maybe make everyone start from zero points and once they get to, I don’t know, sixteen, they can challenge an Elite Four member.

9. Grubdubdub

There is no reason why Gym Leaders can't double as challengers. You do raise a valid point, though. I propose that in any case, the Elite 4 should have some king of theme. Maybe one of them is mono, one only 1&2 gen Pokemon, one only 5th gen Pokemon, and one using only Pokemon starting with the letter B -- just for example.

10. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Realistically, we're a small demographic of about 20 players, give or take (and accounting for how busy most of us get for studies). The main reason I proposed the ladder system was for there to be a more casual, more maintainable competitive Pokemon environment.

One of my biggest concerns about the gym system was that once you beat it, then that was it. There was nothing to keep competing for once you'd gone through it, and it required too much attention from too many people with widely differing schedules to be properly active. On top of that, as Vira and Red pointed out, there are too few players overall to have 8 leaders and 4 Elites, even accounting for overlapping members and expect it to work smashingly.

On tournaments. From past experience, we seem to get through a tournament in about anywhere from a month and a half to two months, starting from participant gathering to the final conclusion. This, while great for short term interest in Pokemon, isn't conducive to a competitive community in the long term. That's not a problem, per se, but it's kind of sad to me that we have a bunch of self-professed Pokemon lovers (who're actually pretty good at it most of the time), who don't play Pokemon with each other at all. Yes, we're busy and have better things to do (God knows I do too), but it really is kind of sad.

With that in mind, how about this:

TL;DR, this way, truly active players can involve themselves in the League as often and as deep as they like, while casual or busy players who want to have the occasional battle can still be a part of it, but can't drag the entire community down. It also takes care of the issue of Gym Leaders who want to challenge other Gyms for their badges and work up to the E4 (they'll already have their own badges), which brings me to the issue of overlapping E4+Gym Leader status.

The E4 we currently have is staffed by me, Seratin, Vash, and Red, but most of us are Gym Leaders and also only took the spots because there was nobody else that was really up for it. I think it'd be good for us to have a OU-and-below tournament (sorry pdo :awesome) to determine the new E4 and the Champion, since the Gen 5 tiers have just about solidified. The tourney champ would the League Champion, the following four players the E4.

Thoughts?

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

12. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Only thing I'd change is to have the underdog and loser to get +5 and -3, respectively. That way it's less of a potential punishment for battling and pulls the other player up instead of pulling the established one down.

13. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The only question I have concerns our teams. Are we going to have the same teams throughout this, because this could go on for an awfully long time and I don’t want to be stuck with a team that isn’t as good as I thought it would be. And what about the gym leaders? Will they have two teams, one for the gym and one for battling?

Also, loving the idea of another tournament, especially an OU one.

14. Lutris

Refer to my first lengthy post.

Gym leaders have their gym teams and their regular teams.

15. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

I support what Lutris lined up. I worked hard for my gym and would like to keep it along with challenging others.

16. Grubdubdub

When you challenge a Gym Leader for his spot, do they both battle with their mono team?

17. Lutris

Okay, finalizing rules and shit from all the feedback, since the general consensus seems to be in agreement.

New League Rules:

That's about it. The Ladder will look something like this:
    [​IMG]
    (I've taken the liberty of inserting some of our more prominent Pokemon players. Oz, I know is really fucking busy with RL. Anybody else who wants to play, state your intentions.)

I may take Point Change out and lop that in with Total Points by sticking it in parentheses next to the number, same with any change in Rank.

Now, onto the Elite 4 Tournament. I'll make a separate thread for it, so get ready for...

DLP Pokemon Tournament: Elite 4 Challenge

(Because I like naming things.)

EDIT: Tournament thread.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  18. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I have a definite interest in playing, and Oz said he'd give me the rundown on PO at some point soon. I'm going on a trip from Thursday - Monday for a music festival, so I won't be around then. I'd have time to join in sometime next week, though. I'm not sure if joining late would be allowed, but if I can, then count me in for sure. :D

19. Lutris

I'll put you in the roster. If you want to participate in the upcoming tournament, you need to say so in the Tournament thread.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  20. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'd like to be added to the ladder as well.