1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your favorite fanfic ever?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Absolutista, May 14, 2011.

1. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^_^, I direct you here.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yes. And even more importantly, stop trying to write HP fanfiction.

3. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

So? There's a ridiculous amount of Harry/Daphne out there, so by this logic, there should also be a lot of Harry/Fem!Blaise. But there isn't.

4. Anme

Anme Professor

One of my favourite fanfics that hasn't been mentioned yet, is Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain.
    Without it, I probably wouldn't even have read the Denarian series, of which I only really liked the latter parts.

My other favourites include On the Way to Greatness, Browncoat Green Eyes, Anything but Slytherin and the Alexandra Quick series.

5. ^_^

^_^ First Year

^^this. I actually just read demon's feign about a week or two ago. I had read the denarian series a while before that. This fanfic actually motivated me to read the dresden series and I can proudly say that I am now in the middle of book 2 (Fool Moon) on my kindle :)

6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

7. ^_^

^_^ First Year

lol. Sadly it did. I've been working 12 hour days and i often switch between books halfway through. So yep 5 books including the first of the dresden series so far. :)

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Because it was revealed that Blaise is a boy. So everyone moved on over to Daphne.

As for a favorite story, probably the Denarian Series, but I'll always have a spot in my heart for all of Master Eldryan's stories. He's what got me into "darker" HP fiction, I think.

9. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

It took me half a year to read Storm Front. But only because I got bored halfway through and put it down for six months.

---------- Post automerged at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

Putting aside the rest of your post (;)), I'm fairly certain LessWrong has never done a webcomic.

10. RainbowDash

RainbowDash Guest

CUPCAKES by Sergeant Sprinkles hands down. It's like Saw, Sweeney Todd (minus the singing), and My Little Pony all rolled into one. XD Wait, does it have to be Harry Potter related?

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
  11. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

what the fuck did I just read.

12. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    what the fuck

13. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Fair enough. Though, I never really understood the fascination with Daphne as a character, as the only common ground between Daphne fics is her name. She's a different character (and, for all intents and purposes, an OC) in each story involving her. I prefer Fem!Blaise because there's less capacity for character maulage with those stories (mainly because the pairing is so rare.)

14. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

God dammit.

15. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

That doesn't make any sense. There is virtually the exact same capacity for character maulage. Their is virtually nothing known about either or them, making them both functionally OC's. Just because they're are less shitty fem-Blaise stories, because there are many less fem-Blaise stories total, doesn't mean that it's any harder to maul the character, or that fem-Blaise is generally writeen better than Daphne.

Rarity of pairing has nothing to do with the capacity for "character maulage." If anything, the less that's known about the character, the harder it is to "maul the character" for the simple fact that there is nothing to twist. All we know about Daphne is she's a Slytherin chick in Harry's year with a little sister who marries Malfoy. Thats it. Can you write that poorly? Sure? Can you "maul the character"--there's no character to maul.

And more importantly, in terms of characterization to twist and screw up, it's no easier or more likely than Blaise, about whom all we know is that he's a boy, black?, Slytherin, in Harry's year and with a mom who likes killing her husbands.

Tl;dr Both are basically OC's and there is no functional difference between a fem-Blaise and Daphne. It depends solely on the author's direction and writing ability.

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

17. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Lord Anarchy:

Some people just don't seem to get the idea of blank slates, no matter how much you beat them over the head with it. Unfortunate thing, that. Pile up dem horses!

18. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Maybe I like making my own glue Anarchy. You ever think of that? Huh?

19. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

It might have been about a blank slate with a cool name in the beginning but now it's more about the Lemmings effect.

[​IMG]

Just look at all the crappy "readingbooks" stories. They seem to expand like a horny rabbit colony for no good reason.

20. ItsAProcess

ItsAProcess Fourth Year

You realize that's a myth, right? A myth created by Disney by buying lemmings from children and forcing them over a cliff edge en-masse in the show 'Wild Wilderness'. It was basically Disney making shit up using animal cruelty for the sake of drama.

On topic, another explanation for why there isn't as much Fem!Blaise as there is Daphne is because for quite some time Blaise's gender was ambiguous, alot of folks weren't sure if he was male or female. And most folks don't like to presume. So they simply went with a different character.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011