1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

As far as I know, even Unforgivables are illegal only when used on people and there was no mention of them in context of TWT. That makes me curious about possible fic where Harry would simply use Imperius or Avada Kedavra against Horntail and various reactions of British Wizarding World.

2. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

It's already been done to death in pre TWT indy fics. No thanks.

3. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Cliches are so mainstream :nyan:

4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    A very interesting installment, The Santi, one that though episodal in nature, conveys the sense that big things are about to happen. As a transition, it seems to work.

A few things struck me upon my first reading:

I would like to propose that Harry be given a different choice instead of immobilization vs. not. Perhaps allow him to choose between shedding his clothing or not. The immobilization could be a surprise that would amplify his feeling of helplessness and make the beating that much worse a punishment. Being bound and then hurt (and mindraped) is far more dramatic an insult, far more inspirational regarding making someone want to be strong, than merely being hurt. (This could be part of the Highmaster's intentions with asking that Harry be given lashes).

Harry's duel in the class is a bit odd; he drops the girl with a stunner, which in canon (as in this story) makes the target insensate. But yet she still maneuvers while on the ground, then is made unconscious by a second stunner. Perhaps you could swap the banishment and stunner in the chain so the unblocked banishment flings her across the floor and leaves her prone. This would remove the apparent inconsistency.

The conversation between Calypso and Romulus is a little weird. Surely they should know that Harry's change started with his lashes--Calypso, if not half the school, would be watching him closely after he was punished and his changes are obvious enough that folks in Defense are starting to be terrified of him. The real question for the Rosiers seems as if it should be why and to what extent the changes, not what triggered them. Since the reader is also wondering similar things at this point, it's less interesting to watch the two wonder about stuff Harry doesn't know. This seems a good time to drop a clue or two in the conversation for the reader that he doesn't already know. (Also, as is, the scene doesn't seem to give the two of them enough credit).

5. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I was thinking the same, but someone already pointed out that it wasn't her who was brought down by the stunner, only a Protego shield.

6. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

As for this Harry wtfpwning the Triwizard Tournament: canon!Harry had help from Crouch Jr., in ways we saw and in some we didn't. I'm not sure if it was stated outright but if not it's reasonable to assume that he cleared the way in the third task and maybe did something to affect the second. I don't remember it very well, but I think Harry had quite a bit of "downtime" during these tasks.

Obviously, Nathan being a contender with Harry on the sidelines sounds like the more plausible outcome.

7. Dark Raku

Dark Raku Second Year

He setup Harry learning about the substance that Harry later used to breathe underwater. Not to mention gave Harry the idea to fly in the first task.

8. Catman

Catman DA Member

Considering the fact that this story is supposed to have Harry evolve into a Dark Wizard, any chance for serious conflict for Harry, physical or emotional, needs to be capitalized on to make this slow sum of many events transformation to happen. They way I see it, the most conflict that can happen in the Triwizard Tournament would be if Harry, trying his hardest to win the TWT and prove himself, thinks Nathan is somehow cheating to win what Harry values so much.

9. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

I think you missed his point. Crouch likely helped Harry alot more than merely giving hints as you imply, but actively helped when he could during the tasks. Whether that be helping him, or by making it harder for the others.

10. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    My bad. Thanks.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of Harry's not being the Durmstrang champion. Who's to say whom the cup will choose? Why should it necessarily choose the best wizard? Perhaps, as a throwback to earlier, harsher times, the Cup looks at a combination of physical, magical, and martial skill, which would make Krum (a world-class athlete in addition to his being a competent student in the world's premier magical institution) the right choice, despite his being magically inferior to Harry.

11. Dark Raku

Dark Raku Second Year

Surely the best wizard is the one most capable to triumph in the tournament. However, we don't know how the Goblet chooses Wizards really, what it defines as qualities champion's should have. i somehow doubt the champion would be anyone other than Krum - the question of why he got picked would certainly bemuse Harry.

12. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

I think I'd actually prefer Harry not being the Durmstrang champion, but I'm pretty sure Santi's going to surprise us anyway. Looking forward to that, especially the tasks that he's going to come up with.

13. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Not sure what is canon and fanon any more, since it's been a while since I've read the books, but Wizards have always struck me as valuing magic and magical strength over physical strength/physique -- at least nowdays.

This may have been different for ancient/medieval wizarding society (see Godric Gryffindor and his sword, etc), but when time progressed into the Late Middle Ages and the Renaissance, I get the feeling that magical strength was then valued over physical.

Does anyone know for certain when the Cup was first created, or at least when the first/earliest known Tri-Wizard Tournament was held?

14. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Dumbledore in GoF-

15. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  16. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Very late 13th Century, then. High Middle Ages going into Late Middle Ages.

17. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

HP Wiki is rife with conjecture, but if we are to take 'some seven hundred years ago' as exactly seven hundred years ago, then it is 1294.

18. Azotez

Azotez Seventh Year

I think the entire discussion about the Goblet of Fire's criteria for choosing champions and the Triwizard tournaments origin is pretty lolzy. We all know that Rowlings hasn't put as much thought into her story as, say Tolkien.

Krum, while physical fit doesn't exactly comes of as a magical prodigy in this story (quitting two classes) and I would be very surprised if he was chosen as Dumstrang champion instead of Harry.

What some seem to forget is that this is not canon and that hopefully Santi will twist and change facts to whatever suits the story best.

It would not be a far stretch to say that Nathan will be entered as a champion as the Hogwarts parts does follow canon closely, but having two competitors from another school, Krum or Harry e.g. would be wrong and weird, unless Santi changes a lot.

I am very eager to see how he will pull it off and whether he will do as Jbern, inviting an entire new set of task, or keep to the original three tasks. Either way could work out fine.

19. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's pretty simple to get Harry into the Triwizard Tournament. Have him displace Cedric as the Hogwarts champion. Harry began his magical education in Scotland, not Norway. Who knows how the Goblet of Fire determines which school you're from?

If the plot goes in that direction, then Harry would be isolated again, much as in canon. Hogwarts students would be resentful of Harry as their champion, and Durmstrang students would be angry that Harry was competing against their school and celebrated hero, Krum.

Yet another wild ass guess itt.

20. Catman

Catman DA Member

That would actually be very interesting. Especially since Kakaroff said ,
    Assuming the considering themselves Durmstrang students isn't an administrative requierment but a magical judgment made by the Goblet, then it would mean Harry for some reason still holds Hogwarts close. This could be for any reason, and even though it is very unlikely, it could go to making a point that Harry doesn't care for Durmstrang itself, causing him to be a pariah at Durmtrang.

Not open for further replies.