1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    So is Madam Pomfrey secretly a dark witch?

2. Deliste

Deliste First Year

Probably not but I believe the point was that the problem is an unusual one that couldn't be cured with conventional healing methods.

3. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I see a potential there for a story.

Anyway, I basically agree with Styx0444 on this. Healers probably know as much, if not more, about dark magic as dark wizards. The difference is a willingness to actually use it.

4. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

There isn't a single sport that wizards play which any rational person would consider safe. You could die playing quidditch as well. Quodpot essentially consists of trying to get balls into a pot before they blow up. Quidditch has guys on brooms trying to get you to fly into the ground at insane speeds or trying to hit you with an iron ball that when left to its own devices will also attempt to knock you off of your broom. They can't even have a normal broom race. The one that takes place in Sweden involves flying through a Swedish Short-Snout dragon preserve!

The only reason I've seen given for banning games in Quidditch Through the Ages and GoF is that there were too many deaths. The too many is the important part of that sentence.

For the most part, the Santi sticks to canon as far as Nathan and Hogwarts is concerned. That's why there is a lot of discussion that focuses on canon being relevant. I agree that knowledge of the dark arts is most likely essential for healers especially if they are doing research or trying to cure an injury caused by a new piece of dark magic that doesn't already have a cure. Didn't Dumbledore even ask for Snape's advice in dealing with his hand?

5. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Yeah, I agree with you on that. It's even stated that people sometimes die in quidditch matches, though I think it was implied to be fairly rare.

Also agreed. Usually someone died, so things were pretty toned down in canon, and some safety precautions were put in place. However, there's a fair bit of difference between Quidditch and the TWT. The third task had a sphinx and acromantulas, both of which are pretty damn dangerous magical creatures, and sending up red sparks didn't make people show up instantaneously. In Quidditch, their are medical staff on hand and everyone is always in full view. In the TWT's canon third task, their were dangerous creatures all over the place with at least a couple minutes to wait for help, assuming that whoever needs help was able to send up red sparks. Also, if I remember right, it's stated that Crouch partially cleared the way for Harry.

Maybe he usually does, but the TWT was heavily influenced by the decisions of Kakaroff and Dumbledore, both of whom's actions are being influenced by Harry and other non-canon events. We don't really have much to judge by on this one.

Yup, and he said that without Snape's assistance, he would have died far sooner.

6. Kalypso

Kalypso Second Year

Yes the TWT is very dangerous, but the students who wished to compete and put their name in the goblet know this. There are some security measures but it is still a competition and the champions are expected to fight these dangers on their own.

Harry certainly is aware of the dangers and prepares himself and when Nathan is entered into the TWT Harry will worry about him, because he knows Nathan isn´t good enough to face these tasks regardeless of security measures.

So I guess that Harry will try to help his brother, but he won´t hold his hand and he certainly won´t be happy to be forced to help Nathan.

Above all else Harry wants to win and be the best -he´s obsessed about it. I think he will give Nathan some tips and maybe try to force him to learn more spells, but he won´t present all he knows on a silver platter. And when Nathan doesn´t work hard enough -which will probably happen- he will be furious and refuse to drag Nathan through the TWT when it is to his own detriment.

As for Calypsos illness -she implied that she doesn´t want to tell Harry about it in the near future, so I guess it is pointless to speculate about his reaction at this time. When she tells him in a few months or years Harry will have changed even further and we can´t predict what he will do to help her.
    I don´t think his motivation to use more dark arts will come from a desire to heal her, but from his ambition to be the best.

7. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

I'm sure there are many unpleasant dark rituals for forced organ transplantation, something like what Jbern did in Lie, only without the willing donor.

That'd be pretty cool.

8. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Wizardmon0073 Calypso doesn't think muggles are inferior she knows they are. Voldemort avoided DEATH with dark magic, it is completely possible that Dark Magic can be used for healing.

9. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Speculation and conjecture. Avoiding death and healing are two completely different things, one does not mean the other.

I personally doubt that Dark Magic can be used for healing, as it seems to be inherently malicious in intent and effect.

10. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Is Santi setting up Calypso to die with her illness, sending Harry on a dark path to try and save and ultimately failing sealing his descent?

Who knows?

11. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I have to go back a few chapters and read this again. Since when is Calypso sick?

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's fan speculation that has pretty much turned into fanon fact.

13. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

It can still count as malicious in intent if, say, you are stealing other people's life forces, organs, etc., for your own sake.
    And it is always only a short-term solution, and you have to keep killing people/stealing life/whatever to keep up the effect (vampires come to mind).

14. Darth Mage

Darth Mage Second Year

I agree with Kalypso; Harry's motivation for becoming a dark wizard will in my mind most likely be to become the best, not help heal Calypso, though once he finds out I envision he'll have two reactions. A) want to help her B) pay back Burke.

I wonder if he plans on getting revenge on Ivan at any point and learn just how sweet punishing the evil really is...

I just had a thought. What if Harry's parents refuse to let him enter the tournament? Sure, Quidditch is dangerous, but the TWT, even one moderated by the Ministry, is still EXTREMELY dangerous... that would be a nice, realistic way for Harry to start to become separated from his family; he is determined to enter the TWT and they are determined NOT to let him.

Just a few ideas.

15. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

Regardless of whether or not Dark magic can be used to heal Calypso, is Harry really going to be the one to find it? Considering that the Rosiers are an very Dark family with many, many connections, and that fertility is an ongoing and important concern to pureblood families - I really have to wonder how he'd find something that the rest of Dark wizarding society is... in the dark about.

If something existed - they'd likely know about it. And even if it's just knowing that such a thing exists (without having the detail on casting), what resources would Harry have to try to discover it? Unless there's a line of Dark Potters out there with some artifacts/manuscripts collecting dust in the vaults... or Grindelwald offers it somehow (doubtful).

16. Thorn

Thorn Professor

Jesus christ. Soon enough this story is going to generate fan-fanfiction. It already has fan-fanon. Santi, you know you'll have made the best fanfiction period when someone writes Harry/Krum within your universe.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

You mean something like this? :)

18. Thorn

Thorn Professor

19. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Everyone's going on about it, so I just assumed I missed it somewhere.

20. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She's not "sick", she was injured when she took a miscast curse meant for Harry and it ruptured her internal organs.

Not open for further replies.