1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You're both missing more obvious solutions:

1. Don't attack at Hogwarts. Strike somewhere unexpected where the Potters will never see it coming.
    2. Use a proxy to carry out any necessaries within the bounds of Hogwarts - much like Voldemort used Crouch Jr. In fact, Peter may have simply been alluding to the map's inability to distinguish between the two Bartemius Crouches as in canon. Peter may also use a complicit Hogwarts/Durmstrang/Beauxbatons student, an Imperiused patsy, any of the TriWizard's facilitators and audience, something delivered by owl, etc. to strike at Nathan from beyond the bounds of the map.
    3. Peter's boast could simply be a piece of misdirection. Dumbledore, etc. are so focused on looking out for Peter that they miss the real threat. I wouldn't really expect such cunning from Pettigrew, but everyone has their moments of brilliance.

I'm just pointing out that there are more possibilities than the one which both of you have presented.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

No, iirc he is not advanced in spell creation either. So you would have to add that to the third year classes he picked up. Even if this weren't the case, it wouldn't matter. You don't graduate early from Durmstrang. When you finish a class early, you still take the class only instead of going to class it becomes an individual project. The school still lasts 7 years.

3. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

You're absolutely right, Yak. For my part, I pointed out the possibilities that could have small variation of the original plan in GoF.

Personally, I see the best opportunity to get to kidnap Nathan with an accomplice to impersonate him through the Polyjuice Potion taking advantage of one of the journeys by the Hogwarts Express, using one of the trips he made ​​to the bathrooms in the train. Nathan will think protected from any external threat but the train could be a perfect trap, and that way Voldemort perfectly prevent the problem of possession of the Marauder's Map by Dumbledore.

Durmstrang lasts 7 years. However, it is possible that Santi surprised us with another future Snape's help to Harry, that could help collateral the fact that Harry leap a school year in Spell Creation (I doubt very much that Kira will help more in that subject). However, if that happens, I see impossible that Voldemort, if he does finally integrate Harry as a Death Eater, sent him to Hogwarts to instruct the students.

This brings me to the fact that we have forgotten about Snape and his will to discover who really is the girl named Calypso, including the fact that he has suspicions about the spell chain that Harry showed him by letter in his first year at Durmstrang. I wondered if Snape can keep your poker face when he discovers that Calypso is the unknown sister of his former comrade Evan Rosier, especially when he discovers that Calypso Rosier is Harry's girlfriend.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  4. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I've found some things Santi might wish to correct.

I was reading the story on ff.net again when I noticed, he used Ennervate instead of the Rennervate that he had used previously. I thought he might wish to correct this. Unless, it has been corrected, and the ff.net version just hasn't been updated yet.

Also,
    This was part of a few paragraphs worth of talk about the Dark Arts. Specifically, it was about how Krum managed to cast such powerful spells. This combined with all of the previous talk about magical intent made me wonder why the next quote/scene took place in the story at all.

So, at this point, Harry has already come to the conclusion that using negative emotions towards his opponent makes curses more powerful. The first thing he learned from Quirrell was how important intent was in magic not to mention the various other times intent was mentioned by other professors.

Why is this scene is even necessary? Why did Calypso need to tell him something about the Dark Arts that he clearly had already figured out in his first year at Durmstrang? Perhaps, it was meant to symbolize that he had grown hesitant to use the Dark Arts over the summer, but it wasn't presented that way. It seemed like this was a completely new revelation to Harry. I just thought this was weird.

5. Equinox

Equinox Seventh Year

With the lack of sacrifice on Lily's part, if we only take into account canon, then the prophesy is what kept Nathan alive. Which, if The Santi is going to use Horcruxes, is why Nathan was the one who it latched on to, not Harry.

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's nothing in the prophecy that acts to keep Nathan or Voldemort alive from each other.

7. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

The Santi has explained it as a one-off incident and a mystery of magic. Honestly, I think that's all we're going to get on the subject, and I'm not upset about that fact.

Who gives a shit why Nathan survived? It's not as though JKR's explanation was particularly satisfying. The fact is that he did survive and now we have a story.

8. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It doesn't matter as long as the plot doesn't rely on the reason for his survival, like canon plot did.

9. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

Actually, no. He just assumed Sirius sent him because the Potters are still living under the Fidelius and Sirius is the Secret Keeper. Hence, the "did Sirius send you?" comment.

10. Equinox

Equinox Seventh Year

Quite, but I was alluding more to a bit of random magic linked to the prophecy (if it even happens to exist) than specific wording.

But I agree with Howdy. A much simpler and less troublesome explanation is better.

11. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be fair Santi's Pettigrew hasn't spent the last 12 years as a pampered rat but locked up in Azkaban. As a whole he seems a lot more vicious and competent then canon.

12. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

Then he should have a wand after almost a year skulking around Hogwarts and Hogsmeade with wizards who apparently do not know of wand holsters and keep their wands in pockets.

You do not have to be extra clever to wait 12 years in Animagus form in prison if you do not have your innocence to cling to and the alternative is to completely break.

13. 4arms

4arms Second Year

May be there was no sacrifice required in order to save Nathan/canon Harry. The fact that Voldemort couldn't touch him might be the side effect of the horcrux being so near to Voldemort...Maybe viewing canon Harry + horcrux(hidden) as the greatest enemyand taking their blood for the ritual would have tied their lives into a closer bond

But these are alot of maybes :p

14. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Except that's not a fact. Dumbledore saved the stone in here, so it seems unlikely that Nathan can choke a bitch like Harry did in canon.

15. Kalypso

Kalypso Second Year

Really great new chapter. I like how Harrys studies are coming along, esp. that he can't just do any spell on the first try, but has to practise it.

Also that Rosier included more spells in Harrys list than he gave his own daughter, no wonder she is a bit bitter.

It seems quite shifty that Rosier is away the whole summer, maybe he searches for Voldemort. But he made a comment earlier in the story that the Rosiers made some hasty choices in the past and should be more careful now. It sounded like he regretted his support of Voldemort and now urges Harry towards the dark arts, for whatever reason. His motivations aren't really clear, but everytime Harry progresses in the dark arts he smiles and is pleased.

It's not quite clear why Nathan survived the killing curse, but it sounded like some random fluke of magic. There was no sacrifice - the grandmother was under imperius and was then killed.
    It's likely that Voldemort would want Nathan for his resurrection and the map complicates this plan, but Barty Jr. could impersonate his father and enter Nathan easily.

16. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I'm pretty sure that's part of the whole dueling thing they're doing.

17. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

About dueling. How do you think Durmstrang's students compare in it to Hogwarts' students? Seeing as they're actively training it, they must be better for sure, but how much difference it makes?

If magic dueling was like - for example - sword fight then with the amount of training they receive average 4th year student at Durmstrang should be good enough to easily defeat average 7th student at Hogwarts, who at best trained a little on his own in all these years at school. But with magic it's not so easy to say, since apparently your skills in other fields can make you a much better duelist.

18. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Durmstrang students likely spend more time learning how to apply knowledge of other subjects to duelling, especially if they're in advanced classes for said subjects.

19. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Three episodes from Santi-canon shed light on this:

The first is Calypso's response after she returns from the Malfoys. She is contemptuous of Draco, who has received training (or at the very least is able to use and practice magic) outside of Hogwarts. She wonders about how Harry could have gotten so good.

The second is after she and Harry duel the first time, when she is surprised at his skills and composure. This is not something that even he should have been able to manage with a Hogwarts education; she calls him on his lie that he learned it from his folks outside school.

The third is the advanced knowledge of transfiguration in duels that Harry's transfiguration instructor mentions. Said instructor is surprised that Harry would have even been exposed to the general concept, much less evince knowledge about the specifics.

All three point to an acknowledged understanding that Durmstrang's curriculum is superior to Hogwarts's in manners of magical dueling.

20. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

The average Durmstrang student would die.

Dodging pranks, dodging students who fuck up during practical lessons, house rivalry fights, running around due to moving staircases and classrooms, dodging Peeves, dodging Filch, swimming with grindylows and giant squids, Hagrid's interesting creatures. All on a shitty English diet, and still managing to get passing grades in OWLs and NEWTs ?

The average Durmstrang student would die.

Not open for further replies.