1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Thread V2

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Antivash, Apr 20, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Calz

Calz Oh, I Got the Mic Now!

This is bad and you should feel bad.

...I suppose I should go further than just saying that, though I think the above sentence works.

The whole idea is made for... what? The plot goes the same way, effectively, so you're just getting a retardedly-named rapebaby Harry-knock-off with Snape for a father. Its unnecessary emotional bullshit drama added to something that's existed without needing to erase Harry from existence (Severitus) for many years, for... what end result?

A lot of fuckery, that's what.

Its rape as a plot device, which is pretty much never a good thing to build off of in a fic. From there, you have Lily being alive solely to be a miserable, trapped woman looking for a way out who eventually just dies any-fucking-way. Which brings up a huge problem. It wouldn't work, with the 'love sacrifice' shit. She's been held captive, forced to stay to protect her child. By all rights, the oath should force her to stand there to protect her child. So she doesn't die from love. She just dies. And so does 'Nicolai' - which is a fucking retarded name. Snape isn't fucking Rasputin. He's English, why the shit would he name his child something Russian?

I'm sure this seemed like a good idea to you.

It isn't.

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Hmm... let's start with the purpose of my post:

"This sound so much like a bunny I had several months ago, that I feel it's worth sharing for comparison."

i.e.: I wasn't touting this as a grand dream of mine, but more the strange effect of ice cream upon my psyche. Your mileage may vary.

" He's English, why the shit would he name his child something Russian?"

Same reason my Dad named me Alex despite being a German Jew- he thought it was cool. With Lily not naming the child after the Potters in any way, shape or form, I snatched something off-putting from the ether. Snape's influence would be arguably quite small.

As to the rest, my notion arose from the simple question of 'what if Voldemort acted like a capable villain and used a much simpler method to eliminate his problem over Lily Evans?'- he has to kill Harry, Snape asked him to spare the hot redhead, whatever should he do? Use a different Unforgivable. Pretty straight-forward.

Now comes the expansion. Well, if Lily lived and Snape got his way, then what next? Obvious next step follows.

Well, if this is going to be a hero thing, we'd better find a way to save someone. What if the irony of Snape actually being the father of the Boy-Who-Lived were to be arranged? Hey that's cool. And we can turn the trope on its head as far as the Snape-Lily worship- they end up together but only as reluctant partners, fucked over by prophecy and stuck together in the inverse of a buddy-movie; they never find the good in each other.

Key the return of the prophecy to screw with people's lives and Nick survives, but his history is a whole lot richer and less admirable than canon.
    Simmer over angst and serve with a side of dark humour.

I'd like to thank you. I originally tossed this out here as an aid for Damask who was having plot-bunny issues. Now I feel motivated to write the whole damned thing.

3. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Personally I think it sounds a bit on the boring side. Its basically taking canon, moving the main character a couple of years along the line and and changing very little else. Ok the main character will be a bit different, but nothing else really changes in any way that will make an interesting read.

4. Calz

This is totally a justifiable reason to randomly pull a retarded Mary Sue name out of thin air. Saying 'she didn't want to name him like a Potter' in this instance is saying 'she didn't want to name him like an Englishman.' Guess what? He's the child of a escaped rape victim and a runaway Death Eater. Having a fucking sparkly name isn't exactly fucking helpful.

By the way, the name Alexander is a name that shows up in some form in pretty much every major language on the planet. Its one of those things that transcends its origin language, and has basically just become a staple as far as global naming conventions go in any place that isn't... Africa.

The name Nicolai does not. It is a Russian equivalent of Nicholas. Or, if you're feeling fucking saucy, Nicolas. Stop clinging to a retarded name. Its retarded. If you're going to call him 'Nick' through the whole fucking thing, name him Nicholas. You sound like someone who decided that they needed Harry's real name to be Hadrian.

You contradict yourself quite badly. Either he's going to act like a capable villain, or he's going to 'spare the hot redhead because his follower asked him to'. And FYI, if he was being 'capable', there's an easy way to solve the problem of the Potters. Seal the fucking doors and windows, light the house on fire. Oh look. Victory.

Then he kills her. You're not going to be stuck with a bitch you don't like when you have a wand. This is not some sitcom marriage. He's a death eater and she's the woman he rapes for lulz.

Seems a lot more like 'angst with a side of angst, and some rape just because I can't think of any other device to make Snape dastardly enough'. I see no humor. None.

Also: Again, I'd like to state this. There would be no prophecy in this situation. One, because you seem to be skipping over the 'thrice defied' situation. Two, because under your rationale, unless Lily's basically been a slave for months on end, Harry isn't born in July. And three, because Voldemort couldn't 'mark him as his equal' because 'Nick' would be fucking dead. The sacrifice wouldn't work when someone is magically obligated to give their life to defend their child, as you said in your own idea.

Also: You're giving Voldemort 2 years to deal with this shit. There's no way he ends up worried about Lily fucking Potter and her potential to create another spawn that will line up with this supposed prophecy. In 2 years, he should have taken everything the fuck over, and should have no idea about her having any kids. She's a loose end that there is no plausible way to write him deciding he needs to tie up personally. You're pulling things out of your ass to keep the story the same as in canon, but change it to give your sparkly little Nicolai Snape, and again: needlessly.

If you're so attached to the character, just change the origin of Harry Potter. Don't fucking write him and kill him off just so you can replace him with what will most assuredly be an even more angsty, whiny bitch of a version of him, who gets to skirt having the asshole potions teacher who hates him because of his father, in exchange for having the wonderful weepy-eyed adventure of seeing his mother die, his father run off, and having a madman who realistically RUNS THE FUCKING WORLD AT THIS POINT chasing after him for a prophecy he doesn't fit.

Further proving your inability to think anything through. But whatever. All things considered, I have to assume your ideas can't theoretically get much worse. As long as you don't have 'Nicolai Snape' moonlighting as 'Nikki 'Ginger' Snaps' at some magical strip-club on the weekends to get the money to fight the evil Dark Lord that is inexplicably chasing him.

I will restate this. This is bad and you should feel bad. You, personally, should feel terrible.

Write it if you want, we aren't for telling people not to write things, but if you present your idea here, and its terrible, its DLP. Don't expect punches pulled. The planned idea makes no sense whatsoever, and trying to shoehorn a needlessly Russian-named, younger, bootleg Harry into a story by killing off the actual Harry Potter isn't going to be met well.

And its just a stupid fucking idea.

5. Mordecai

High Score:
    When you phrase it like that, it sounds like it will be a mary-sue self-insert of some sort ;) Not that we would ever accuse a DLP member of writing such a travesty...

6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rage much, Calz? Not that your dismembering of wordhammer's idea is particularly inaccurate, it just seems... excessive.

7. Calz

You're (relatively) new here. This is how we used to be. Before bitches got soft and started rocking the kid-gloves.

Its a shitty Neo-Severitus fic, without even the decency to involve Harry Potter. It deserves what it gets. DLP shouldn't be doing that 'giving trophies to kids just for trying' malarkey. He took a shot. It was a horrible shot and went wide right, and now he's sitting on the field. Someone sitting in the stands needs to inform him that it sucked and its time to either get up and take a better shot next time, or get off the field, pick another sport and stop getting in the way of the kids actually playing the game.

(For the record: not in a bad mood, per se, but it rubbed me the wrong way, and his attempt to rebut has served to inform me that he wants it to be [to use an old adage] on like Donkey Kong. So play, I shall.)

8. Mordecai

High Score:
    There is no such thing as excessive dismembering, especially not of bad ideas on DLP!

9. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

I agree with calz. That is a completely stupid plot. Let's forget it and post others.

Has anyone ever written a complete evil!Harry raised by Voldemort as his son. Harry is not going to see ginny and start redeeming. Maybe the conflict will start when Harry becomes more ambitious and tries to overthrow voldemort.

Don't write this if you don't understand the concept of evil. Harry here should murder, torture and rape people.

This bunny is just an attempt to get back the derailed thread.

10. Little Knee

Little Knee Seventh Year

...write it.

11. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Lol. That came out wrong :D

12. Mordecai

High Score:
    I remember there used to be a few floating around, not seen any in a couple of years. Though it was never my cup of tea, so I might have missed one.

The only one I remember that was of any length, can't remember if it was complete, involved Harry having been kidnapped quite young from the Dursley's by death eaters who brought back the Dark Lord. Voldemort raised Harry as his own heir, but when he was 14 or so he got captured/rescued by the Order. Got put straight into Hogwarts 'to help him re-adjust to normal society' and then it the author decided that people didn't hate Voldemort enough /pity Harry enough and had it come out that the Dark Lord had been using Harry for sexual relief for a number of years. At that point I stopped reading, cause it was just getting worse and worse.

13. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

The sheer amount of fail within this thread makes me want to gag. :facepalm

14. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

That's a shame.

Sorry, wordhammer, but I pretty much found myself nodding along to everything Calz had to say.

It's a canon retread, only with more angst, a protagonist I couldn't possibly give even half a shit about, plotholes the size of an extinction level meteor crater, mountains of angst, and RAEP RAEP RAEP...

Goddamn, who let Pyramid Head in here?

Write this bunny, and you'll have two 'full-size' stories to your name, both of which pretty much revolve around, revel, and wallow in repeated rape.

There are a lot of hack writers who use rape as a method to increase the drama, or show how evil someone is, without having to actually think and create; which means that anyone with an ounce of talent should really be careful if they're planning on using it as an element of their story, since the vast amount of misuse automatically prejudices people against that plot element (just like poorly implemented tropes get ragged on mercilessly).

However, when an author Just Keeps Slinging it in your face, one starts to get the impression that it is meant as an attempt to titillate the reader, rather than a ham-fisted attempt at melodrama.

:puke:Which really belongs in purely masturbatory PWP fics, the likes of which are routinely posted to sites like AFF.

Frankly, the thought of a summary that reads, "James and Harry die, Snape rapes Lily, obliviates her in an attempt to modify her behavior, habitually rapes her during the course of her short, miserable life, impregnates her, more or less enslaves her, and the rape baby becomes the next child of prophecy." threatens to fill me with a special kind of rage that usually ends up requiring a couple aspirin.

Ignoring the rape aspect, it's still a shit idea (in my opinion, of course), and strikes me as being boring as hell, besides.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  15. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

No worries. I was only torqued enough to even consider it for a few moments.

[​IMG]

Thank you for your attention, please avoid stepping in the fuck-up.

16. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Ah, all this talk of rape's, Snape's and russian names gave me the most wonderfull idea.

A Harry modeled after Rasputin.

Well what do you gentlemen and women's think of that?

17. Rym

Rym Auror

Throw-away plot bunny.

Was bored the other day and saw the Jet Li movie, The One, on tv. Even though the movie is pretty piss poor, I always thought the premise was pretty neat and something that could be easily carried over into a HP fic.

Multi-dimension universe (say 7 dimensions) each with a different version of Harry Potter in them. One of the Harry Potters goes dark, somehow learns how to dimension hop, and starts picking off the other versions of himself (after he learns that with each version of himself that dies, he grows stronger). Cue story, where the evil HP only has one more version of himself to kill off - canon Harry. Or however you feel like doing it.

18. Little Knee

Little Knee Seventh Year

[​IMG] ..........[​IMG]

.....that's terrifying.

19. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the plus side, Rasputin was hung like a fucking horse.

20. h2o

h2o Professor

I always liked the premise of The One as well. However, if one did this and in the end, obviously good!Harry defeats the evil one... what does he then do about Voldemort? Knowing that killing him in his own dimension would only make another Voldemort stronger with possibly no Harry to face him as the Evil!Harry might have killed that version already?

Not open for further replies.