1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Please, can we go back to discussing the thread? Santi already said that Rosier's motives are simple.

2. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

I thought it was pretty simple ;)

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

No, you wrote a TL;DR-Godwin.

4. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

It's somewhat sad that I actually know what that means. I've been lurking way to long.

---------- Post automerged at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

I actually don't think Godwin's law is applicable in this case as it was a fair comparison. J.K. herself stated that Death Eaters were modeled directly off of NAZIs and their ideology is nearly identical. It's somewhat of an abuse of Godwin's law in this case.

5. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

And yet, despite teaching at said school for more then a year, no one seems to have figured it out. Personally, I think that it's the Clark Kent clause in effect: the disguise is just so goddamn bad that no one thinks that it's actually him. It doesn't cross anyone's mind, because there is no fucking way that he would hide in a school filled with hundreds of students from different countries.

Alternatively, Dumbledore, who would certainly know if it were anything like as obvious and open a secret as you make it out to be, simply doesn't give enough of a shit to say anything to anyone. Or maybe he just knows better then to speak up.

6. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Reading the descriptions you provided, I eventually came to this:

[​IMG]

. . . though, with a smaller chest on account of being 13.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did you draw that yourself?

8. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

What does that say about the content of news programming in a channel whose commentators regularly indulge in hyperbolic comparisons to Hitler and the Nazis? :cool:

9. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

The problem with this analogy is that the Soviet Union was far worse than Nazi Germany. Stalin killed significantly more civilians than Hitler ever did.

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Yep - gulags, 'relocations', etc.

11. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

I only wish I could have. No. I just plugged the descriptions into gelbooru.

12. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

It's nearly meaningless to cite civilian casualties when you have a drafted military.

13. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

There is no problem with the analogy. It isn't about who killed more people, it is about why they killed. A main tenant of communism is that all men are equal(later their was something about some being more equal than others). They killed and imprisoned those that they believed had different ideologies and where a threat to the system that they were trying to establish. They still believed that the people where people, just with a incorrect ideology. Hitler believed that those he was killing were inferior.

The main difference can be shown with the Nazi acceptance of evolution and eugenics, while the USSR flat out rejected both evolution and Genetics. The Nazis killed people that they believe were inferior creatures that were undermining the future of the human race. Stalin just killed people that disagreed with him or worked them to death for convenience in terms of slave labor.

The Death Eaters are the magical worlds version of the Nazis, even if it wasn't confirmed by J.K. already, it was still rather obvious. To my knowledge their hasn't been a group mentioned in the magical world that would match up with the USSR.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  14. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

You are splitting hairs, one man with a vision and an ideology force their vision onto those who do not want to be a part of that vision.

What's the difference between Stalin and Hitler??

Your reply's lack depth and substance, your analysis is lacking.

15. diesIovis

diesIovis Seventh Year

Isn't that from Amagami, 棚町 薫. Bah, my past Japan obsession has once again caught up to me...~

16. ViolentRed

ViolentRed Professor

Just because the Death Eathers are loosely based on Nazis, doesn't mean the war against Voldemort was based on WWII. Any theory based on that premiss fails from the start.

17. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

The fact that you believe that there was no real difference between them shows your lack of depth and utter lack of critical thinking skills. Yes they were both powerful men with a vision, but there motivations and idelogy where completely different and in fact at odds with each other.

There is a great deal of history that you seem to be completely ignorant of. I would suggest reading into some history of the Nazis and Communism.

Hitler was a misguide man on a mission that lead to a lot of evil actions. Stalin was just an evil man. A lot of what Hitler did can be justified by some firmly held beliefs of the time. Stalin just killed and enslaved people for his own gain and amusement.

A good way of looking at it would be to think of Hitler as Ozymandias from Watchmen and Stalin as the Comedian. What Ozymandias did was morally reprehensible, but can in some ways be justified. The Comedian just killed for his own pleasure.

18. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes, it's Sex-Hair from Amagami.

19. Random Shinobi

Random Shinobi Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Clearly you are not very familiar with the Soviet Union. Totalitarian dictatorship =/= communism. You cannot even imagine how cheap a life was to the Soviet leadership...

You say this as if it was a good thing? Don't you know what kind of catastrophe the Soviet Union's agricultural pseudoscience was?

As far as I understand, the victims of Stalin's purges ended just as dead...

Which is exactly why your analogy sucked.

20. cenares

cenares Fourth Year

My premiss wasn't that the war on Voldemort was based on WWII.I was responding to this
    Rakkety Tam is under the impression that Rosier might be a death eater, but he really isn't all that bad. That he was just on the other side of the war and that he has given up a great deal of the ideology associate with that side. I'm saying you can't got that far and not taint your soul. Comparing Death Eaters to the Order of the Phoenix is like comparing the allies to the Axis or more specifically to the Nazis. Read more of my post and your will see why I don't think he can give up his ideology.

Not open for further replies.