1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. SorrySight

SorrySight First Year

Blood of the bystander doesn't have the same ring to it.

There was no sacrifice to give blood protection; Nathan survived by a combination of incredible luck and the prophecy.

2. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

You don't necessarily need to attack someone directly to be their enemy. Voldemort didn't help Harry of the goodness of his heart, he wanted a good follower at best, and a wedge driven in Potters' family at worst.

3. SorrySight

SorrySight First Year

If Voldemort considered Harry a potential enemy he wouldn't have encouraged his leave to Durmstrang. Nathan is the only Potter twin that can be used as the enemy ingredient in the ritual at this time. Harry will only become eligible when/if he fights Voldemort at the final task.

4. Amoral Philosopher

Amoral Philosopher Seventh Year

Actually, I think Harry's blood could very well be used in the ritual as blood of the enemy. I say this because Lilly and James Potter are most definitely enemies of Voldemort considering the thrice defying him part in the prophecy. Since Harry and Nathan are both the sons of James and Lilly, the two boys would have their parents blood, hence making either eligible for the ritual for that fact alone. It could technically be said that the Potter family as a whole is the enemy of Voldemort.

5. SorrySight

SorrySight First Year

I think it's more that the enemy in the ritual needs to be considered as such by the one being revived. If you only needed to consider Voldemort to be an enemy then most of Hogwarts would be eligible, there'd be no reason to trick the goblet. Cedric Diggory would work.

I don't doubt it will be Nathan that is entered, he's the one marked as Voldemorts equal.

6. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Yes. And that's exactly the point, and the reason why speculating about whether or not Harry qualifies is a moot point.

Voldemort could have taken anyone's blood, from anyone he considered an enemy. But Voldemort being Voldemort (seven Horcruxes, 'cause seven is moar poweful) didn't want any old enemy's blood, he wanted blood from the one he considered his most dangerous enemy -- because he has a thing for symbolism, because it actually matters, makes the potion more potent: whatever, but it had to be Harry for him. He could have easily taken Bertha Jorkins(?)' blood way back when she stumbled over him in Albania.

And don't forget that Dumbledore himself gambled on that trait of Voldemort, because his entire plan wouldn't have worked if Voldemort hadn't taken Harry's blood in Canon.

So my point: If this Voldemort is anything like Canon!Voldemort, he'll want the BWL's blood, especially since back at Hogwarts, PS and CoS have played out exactly like we know it, with Nathan thwarting Voldemort twice to this point.

7. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Many of you forgot that Dumbledore has Marauder's map. I want to see how Santi plays this.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Oh Narureye, how I hate you.

9. cuco

cuco Squib

Great story!

What a wonderfully written story. I can't wait to see what happens next.

10. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I just realized this, and I'm not going to search through 238 pages to see when it last came up -- but how much discussion was there on the fact that no one really died for Nathan in the same sense that Lily died for Harry in canon?

I just re-read Chapter 1 and noticed that while Voldemort did kill both of the Evans Grandparents, the Grandfather seemed to be killed before he knew what hit him and the Grandmother was killed while under the Imperius.

If that's the case then the "protection" Nathan has is different from what Harry had in canon. I find myself curious as to how that might play out as we get further into the series.

11. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

It is mentioned every time Voldemort's resurrection is discussed.

Which is the last time it could matter I think. The first being the end of Nathan's first year, which as far as I can tell has had no effect on this story versus canon.

Even with the Resurrection it could have little effect, as someone has pointed out, Voldemort would love the symbolism of using Nathan for it.

Fifth year on Harry's status as a horcrux had more an effect on canon than Lily's sacrifice. And Nathan looks to be a horcrux in this story as well.

12. Wizardmon0073

Wizardmon0073 Second Year

Dumbledore dispatched Quirrellmort and Nathan did not use sacrificial protection like Harry did in canon.

13. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I worded that wrong, it has had no lasting effect on this story versus canon.

14. 4arms

4arms Second Year

What would happen if the hallows cloak is used to hide from the Maraudar's Map? From what I believe to should hide the owner from being discovered in the map.....

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Cloak should do a lot of things in theory that it didn't do in canon until book 7.

16. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Aren't the Hallows a retcon? Is there any evidence they existed before book 7 was written?

17. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Many would argue otherwise, but that's what I believe as well. Too many things can see through Harry's cloak prior to book 7 - Dumbledore, Moody, the Map, etc.

18. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

I'm not sure there was ever any attempt to say that the Peverell cloak could hide you from everything, even after the Hallows revelation of book 7. It's considered "perfect" because it's gone through the years without the usual fading or wear-and-tear, and it also seems immune to being damaged by spells passing through it. And it can't be summoned (possibly another aspect of the same attribute that keeps it safe from spell damage).

But it's never worked against every magical detection method, and it's never blocked spellfire from hitting a person wearing the cloak. Dumbledore himself said that he never saw a need for the cloak, because he could "conceal [himself] well enough" without it. If the cloak offered superior - let alone perfect - concealment or protection, he might have been more interested.

edit: Actually, looking back at the text, the legend of the Peverell cloak, as told by Lovegood, claims that it grants "constant and impenetrable concealment, no matter what spells are cast at it." Perhaps that's just an exaggeration, just as the Elder Wand is said to be unbeatable.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  19. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I definitely agree with the idea that the legend could easily become misconstrued and embellished, but I do think it was a bit strange for Rowling to throw that in when we know it isn't true.

However, Lovegood seems to know his shit when it comes to the Hallows, and he is pretty specific that the cloak cannot be detected. With the Elder Wand it's easy for "really strong" to turn into "unbeatable", but the idea that the invisibility cloak isn't detectable has to come from somewhere, right?

It just seems like another one of Rowling's half baked retcons, to be honest.

20. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Taure will probably have to weigh in and keep me honest on canon, but in the examples above at least, it seems feasible to remove inconsistency by assuming that only things enchanted by the Elder Wand can detect items hidden by the cloak Hallow. In other words, it takes a Hallow to beat a Hallow: Dumbledore would have used the wand to cast the spells to detect Harry under his cloak. He could have enchanted Moody's eye with the Elder Wand. (Said eye was apparently so special that Umbridge saw fit to mount it on her door in DH). He could have had a behind-the-scenes, not-directly-stated-in-canon role in helping create the Marauder's Map.

I like how in between chapters The Santi's story thread has become the DLP canon thread.

Not open for further replies.