1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Funny Pics Part 2

Discussion in 'The Humor Mill' started by Antivash, Jun 2, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

[​IMG]

Surprisingly enough... I sort of want a computer that looks like this, hahaha.

2. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah; as long as it's good for a laugh, I don't particularly care if the picture is faked.

5. Portus

Portus Heir

Yeah, not real. Well, the majority of it *is* real:
    [​IMG]

- but I knew this because that is almost exactly what the reactor control room looks like on SSN-688 Class fast attack subs.

-- The Electrical Operator sits over on the far right, controlling the connection of the two steam-powered electrical turbines to the boat's power grid through a series of breakers operated from that panel. There's an art to massaging the current before closing one of those breakers, because trying to close one out-of-phase will either fail with a 'pop' (the best scenario) or fail with a muffled explosion as "the magic smoke is let out of the breaker box," as some of the EM's liked to say. When the EO fucks up like that, air conditioning and all the fans are two of the first things to get shut down in an attempt to conserve battery power, and he is instantly hated by everyone on-board.

-- The Reactor Operator sits in the middle, in control of the actual reactor and the parameters of it. The gages shown there constituted the *entirety* of the digital equipment on the sub on which I served. (Well, I imagine there was some digital encryption and missile-targeting equipment around, but as far as 99% of the sub, everything was analog.) The gages give everything from pressurizer level and temp., to which coolant pumps are running and at what speed, to differential temp. across the core and (arguably most importantly) Startup Rate inside the reactor. The L-shaped handle you see towards the bottom of that center console is the shim switch for adjusting how far the Hafnium control rods are withdrawn or inserted into the core, which in turn controls Startup Rate and delta-T across the reactor.

In the event of a serious problem, the RO throws the SCRAM switch, which isn't shown in that picture. That switch disengages all of the motors for shimming the control rods, and heavy springs drive all of them to the bottom of their sleeves in about a tenth of a second, effectively shutting down the reactor. Of course, there's still a fucking *load* of heat in there, and even though the number of fissions is declining (subcritical), they are still happening. The term SCRAM comes from the good ol' days when rods were hoisted by ropes and pulleys, and the lone safety measure was a person stationed at those ropes with an axe, ready to chop the ropes and shut the reactor down in the event of an emergency. SCRAM stands for "Super-Critical Reactor Axe Man."

-- The Throttleman stands at the big silver wheels, and he's the one most directly connected to the Conn, where the captain and/or duty officer is in charge of navigation (up where the periscopes are and shit like that). There's a display there (and fuck if I can remember which one it is) that changes and goes 'ding' when the Conn dials up a new speed. The TM has to acknowledge by turning the knob on his display to the same thing, and then he opens or closes the throttles to make it happen. The larger wheel controls steam flow to the Ahead side of the two main engine turbines, and the smaller one opens and closes steam flow to the Back (reverse) side of those turbines. This dude isn't allowed to sit down, I assumed because of the ever-so-likely "Fuck! We're about to run into an undersea mountain! Emergency Stop!!"

Those three spots are always manned by enlisted guys, but all three (and in fact, everyone in the back half of the sub) went through the Navy's Nuke School and Prototype Training for two-plus years before stepping foot on a sub or carrier or frigate. There's always a nuclear-trained officer sitting behind them, and he is supposedly in charge, though I never met one dumb enough to go against a senior RO. After all, the guy in charge of pulling rods out of the reactor is generally more seasoned than last month's Annapolis grad.

Wow. TL;DR there. I stood a lot of six-hour watches in all three of those spots, though most of my time was spent trying to coax, finesse, seduce or just bully a temperamental evaporator into making the 10K gallons per day of fresh water it was rated for by the most optimistic, pie-in-the-sky designers who ever lived.

I'm glad I got all that experience and I wouldn't change any of it, but I wouldn't go back for any amount of money.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

That's the best collection of, uh, that style of humor images I've seen in a while.

What the hell do they call that meme, anyway? The whole bit with Troll Face, Forever Alone face, Disappoint dad, etc. I usually think of it as the "interchangeable faces" or "MS Paint faces" meme.

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

9. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Don't remember if this one has been posted yet:

[​IMG]

10. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

11. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Just read the pizza one, then Portus' made a whole lot more sense.

EDIT: Now listening to said song. /wrists.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  12. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

mmmm, Penelope Cruz. Yes, I can tell that from a 1" picture >_>

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Still don't get it. >_>

[​IMG]

14. Trafalgar

Trafalgar First Year

That's Miranda Kerr:facepalm

15. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

How about now?

You were what, eight when the single came out? I was around sixteen, so obviously fell in love with it. It really spoke to me. :p

16. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow. That song is terrible. Still, the wordplay is sort of amusing now that I know the reference.

17. Little Knee

Little Knee Seventh Year

[​IMG]

18. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]