1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I don't know what's the issue with the exploitation of the 3 tasks of GoF. It's seems to me that The Santi it's a pretty good fanfic writer. I don't remember reading a complain when Big D did the same; granted, he improved the second task with his own style, but respected the structure of the event all the same. Don't sell The Santi short, he has proved himself already.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I think I'd prefer the canon tasks, honestly. Innovative twists to the tournament work in stories where the tournament, or at least fourth year, is the focal point... but this story is about more than that, and to keep the pacing as it has been, I think the three task setup works well.

Or maybe I just really want to see this Harry staring down a goddamn dragon.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. cuco

cuco Squib

I think that calypso probably made a deal with her father, and is forced to enter nathan in the tournament. Random Thought.

4. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Yes, but they have magic! They have tricorders, sci-fi healing, replicators and transporters, but they don't have television. That is what is meant by "JKR being JKR". IMHO, of course.

5. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

Seems like she'd have a hard enough time entering herself. If she did somehow enter Nathan and Harry found out then it's an instant end to their relationship.

6. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Also her father has no reason to want to enter Nathan. Unless, of course, he's pulled a Quirrell and became Rosiermort.

7. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I'm actually wondering a bit about Hermione; I see so many possible routes with her character at the moment, I'm actually wondering what is going to happen to her and any relationships that involve her.

8. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I used to secretly hope that she would accuse Harry of something and then suddenly die in an accident.

9. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

That's a Gryffindor plan. "Hermione accuses the protagonist of something and then an enemy of the protagonist for whom it would be in character to rape and murder a mudblood who doesn't know her place finally has enough and does the deed but is caught by the authorities and gets life in Azkaban because he is careless with eliminating evidence" is much better.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Seems to me like The Santi chose to add some non-canonHarry aspects to Nathan by making him fancy Hermione.

Of all the things he could do ...

11. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Well, Nathan and Harry did grow up in a relatively normal family - Hermione wouldn't be seen as a 'sister' due to a lack of...well, 'normalcy'. Ginny most probably wouldn't be attractive because neither boy (apparently) has an Oedipus Complex.

Also, if you were Hermione, who would you rather choose as a partner: Nathan, someone who basically has everything going for him, or Ron - practically a prejudiced sack of shit, whose sole redeeming quality is that he contributes a surplus to the Earth's oxygen cycle?

Then again, there IS Victor - looks like he's having problems with his beau, so maybe he's going to put her with him? Could cause a bit of tension between Harry/Nathan/Hermione/Krum, then.

Or, because of his studious attitude, Hermione could develop a bit of a crush on Harry, especially with him at Hogwarts and all; might cause a bit of tension between the characters/act as a sub-plot.

Perhaps I'm overthinking things, though?

12. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

Any of that is possible. Depends on how closely Santi is going to stick to canon. I can always hope to see more Hermione since I unashamedly love her character despite her problems.

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I have female friends that I see as sisters, they're just that close to me. I grew up in a normal family as well, 2 parents and a sister. I don't believe that has any bearing on Harry seeing Hermione as a sister or not.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

But that may change once Santi decides to follow the best Dark!Harry stories. ;)

15. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

That's slightly wrong in the 2 cases you mention. Acknowledge that a girl is 'like a sister' to you doesn't follow simple rules, the context of your upbringing it's important, but your taste in women (if we're implying that all are straight) is what guides the mental construction of any girl.
    Oedipus Complex (OC) doesn't follow normalcy or lack of. The connection you share with your mother it's independent; again it's what your brain makes you believe. Your mother can be present in your day life or dead since you were 8 years old, time or the presence of your father doesn't weak that special connection. Literature has portrayed Oedipus Complex in a heterogeneity of cases; some follow the path of madness like Oedipus King, others are more common like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson. Some are good reading material others are a peace of crap. You can't simplify the OC like that, because it doesn't matter the quality of the book, fiction can't keep reality's pace. And I didn't begin to talk about the author. Objectivity doesn't exist in this plane. I know that, you too. But I'm rambling here so...

Returning to the book. If we want to follow the illusion that an OC exist. I bet all my gold on Nathan/Hermione Harry/Calypso. Nathan will be pulled to the "researcher" nature of Hr; Harry the strength of character that Calypso possess. Characteristics owned by The Santi's Lily Potter.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  16. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The issue I have with the Oedipus Complex idea, is that no where does it say that Ginny looks exactly like their mother. That's completely fanon.

Regardless, how their mother looked at 14 is bound to be completely different to how she looks now. So I'd take that as a non-factor.

17. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I'm shipping Hermione/Victor, if for no other reason than to see Kira slowly tear Hermione apart, limb by limb :D

18. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I'd rather someone finish off Kira, honestly. At least Hermione has some redeeming aspects.

19. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

I'm hoping they take each other out, with Ron in the crossfire.

20. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Harry and Calypso don't figure out a way past age line. Krum doesn't enter. Rest of delegation is lackluster, and Kira is selected.

Bitch becomes dragon food.

Profit.

Not open for further replies.