1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Not really, no. Still, if it happened somewhere, it would be this thread. Welcome to DLP.

'Surrounded frosts Gabijos street beaver with a sword and a helmet fell into the container with the blinds, where he was met by carrying a bucket of death.'

....What? :|

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

Same here, though still haven't read Codex. I have seen that a lot - wonder how many people Shezza got into Dresden with his fics?

I'm thinking it's at least 100...

3. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:

I'm sure that he (lol) got at least that many.

4. mrstranger

mrstranger Squib

Great update.... just thought u should have included the actual award ceramoney scene.... anyways I had been reading this story on ff.net but didn't know you were updating here till today so I signed up here to continue reading my favorite fanfiction story.... Well I guess I have a lot of catching up to do :)

5. Styx0444

And so it draws in another one.

Indeed, as well as more then a few grammar lessons. 'U' is a letter, not a word. The first letter of every sentence should be capitalized. There are other ways to end a sentence then an ellipsis (...), and as that indicates an unfinished thought, or tailing into silence (which you clearly didn't do), I recommend you learn some others. ;)

Welcome to DLP.

6. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

An average newbie joins and everyone's shitting themselves. At least the guy posted something relevant to the story, the least y'all could do is talk about that instead of "omg you should read this".

Anyways, on topic: Santi Y U NO UPDATE?
    Seriously though, at this point, I think we've exhausted discussion about Harry's entry into the tournament. Looking further into the future, I'd like it if Santi threw a curveball at us and completely messed up our predictions! Although I think with how mainstream this story has become, Santi would know that he'd attract criticism if he did anything drastic like I dunno, have Calypso die at the hands of the Order (an order raid at Rosier's house?). And then that completes Harry's change to the Dark. That would be awesome and potential for so much juicy conflict between Harry and his family.

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Santi already explained how busy he'd be:

That was on the 5th of August. Despite his prediction he's still managed to pump out another 3 updates since then. Don't expect anything more until December. If another update drops early, it's an unexpected gift.

Why would Santi care about that, or let it stop him from writing what he wants?

8. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Yes, I do know Santi's reasons. I know how demanding law school is. That bit wasn't meant seriously.

And I'd assume it's always at the back of a writer's mind how the readers will react to drastic changes. Unless you're GRRM :p and he does it because he wants people to react that way.

9. Zennith

High Score:
    Or you do it because that's how you want to write the damn story.

The second a writer starts worrying specifically about audience reaction more than the story he wants to tell, he's fucked.

10. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I don't usually have any problems against small errors like these but considering this was a post aimed at improving English...

(See what I did there?)

BTW Welcome to DLP mrstranger.

11. Expelliarmus

Expelliarmus Third Year

We all know that Santi is very busy with his studies at law school. However, I would not be very surprised if Santi surprises us with a new update (perhaps, the rest of chapter 16) to be published around Halloween (he said in his announcement, when he said about he could not update this fic until December). It would be the most appropriate time so that Santi published it, since the content of chapter 16 is developed at the feast of Halloween.

BTW Welcome to DLP mrstranger.

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did the rarity of Occlumency books in the series also help you reach this conclusion?

13. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Maybe, but authors do tend to think on these things. Whether or not they let the audience reaction influence him or not is another thing entirely, and something to be analyzed in a different manner for every case.

After all, I bet George R. R. Martin laughed like a maniac every time he killed a Stark, thinking of his readers.

14. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

Why did you have to get my hopes up mrstranger? I clicked on this to see what was new and saw
    and I immediately hit the back button and went to WbA to find his new update.

Welcome to DLP, guaranteed to destroy any and all nieve hopes and dreams and leaving you as an empty shell for no less then two hours within four weeks if you try and read every topic.

15. Zennith

High Score:

Of course he probably chuckled, but I'm also willing to bet that that isn't why he did it. Of course everything you write is in some way related to the audience, but the second you compromise your style in order to go for a very specific reaction, you're sacrificing your creativity and are forgetting that every single person will interpret and react to a written event differently, and that the experience of reading a story is inherently individual. This is how it should be. And so, while they are obviously aware of potential audience reaction, the best writers don't try to engender a specific, very focused response. Instead, they focus on the best way to create the story that they're trying to tell.

16. Tareth

Tareth Squib

Santi's in law school? Never knew that. Huh.

Anyway one question. Where is Mad-Eyed Moody in the story? Is he just not here?

17. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

It's the beginning of 4th year, and Harry hasn't been to Hogwarts yet, why would Moody be in the story?

18. Styx0444

You miss an update? Harry is at Hogwarts in the latest chapter. That said, still not much of a reason for Moody to be around.

19. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

You know, I read that update and even commented on it in this thread, but for some reason I had it in my head that leaving Durmstrang was the last update. No idea why. Apologies for that heh.

Even still though, just because Moody didn't do anything yet doesn't mean he isn't there. He has no reason to approach anyone in Durmstrang except perhaps Karkaroff.

20. Elelith

Elelith Squib

Santi updated before Halloween which was supposed to be the possible update date...does that mean there's no chance he does update around now?

Not open for further replies.