1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He'll update when he updates.

He said he'll be swamped until January so anything he puts out before then is a nice treat. That's it.

2. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Every update Santi updates is updated as the time for a update is updated in his schedule. So really, updating the thread wondering if anyone has any update on an impending update will just bring those angry updating-seeking-hounds in here, which will(after realizing their previously mistaken update is not an update send them into a fake!update rage like situation, in which they will update the DLP community on their thoughts about update seeking newcomers.

So really, say something usefull like I did or just wait for an update.

3. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Amen. In the meantime, does anyone have similar stories to recommend? I just recently found this fic and it's succeeded spectacularly in whetting my appetite for good, AU stories about Harry's school years.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  4. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Good AU stories which rehash Harry's school years are hard to come by. I honestly can't think of anywhere near rivaling Santi's fic except for the Denarian series, but that is more about Harry not being in school.

5. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    :facepalm

tbh, I lol'd.

6. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Wit of the Raven is one of the best extreme AU stories, IMO. As for good twin-who-lived fics? Pretty much SOL.

7. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I looked up Wit of the Raven and it looks like it hasn't been updated in ~18 months, is there another place for it besides FFN?

8. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

I've read Wit of the Raven, but what's SOL?

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Shit out of luck.

10. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Not that I know of, but it still gets updated periodically. It's like Reload: Maybe it's dead, maybe it's not. Just when you're wondering 'Hey, where the fuck did that guy go, anyway?' it pops up again.

11. The Santi

The Santi Professor

12. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Denarii Host

I'll be brutally honest. I didn't like it. The Harry in this part of the chapter felt very different from the Harry from the rest of the story. This Harry felt very rough, and while that could be a very human thing, it just felt very OOC for this fic.

This was not your best work Santi.

13. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

Santi, I love you.

Don't take that the wrong way.

Though I love updates, It seemed to.... foretold. No shock at all. I think quite a number of people previously mentioned the same exact idea. I didn't hate it, but someone of my favorite stories are a surprise at every turn.

14. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

think

/10 char

15. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'd like to see Dumbledore watching the amount of pain Harry puts himself through amazement and then letting him know that there was a much easier way (maybe something that'd require more warding skills?)

16. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Why every time Santi updates my whole beeing is filled with joy, only to have it crushed as I reach the damn cliffhangers?

One thing that came to mind however is while Harry is willing to sacrifice his integrity by letting Calypso "change his mind", wouldn't that solution actually help her getting into the tournament? She is the one with the idea, and the one to use her jedi mind tricks on Harry.

Nice work Santi, looking foward to next chapter already.

17. syed

syed Supermod

So Harry, refusing to use a sure thing, attempts a painful and dangerous act to prove his quality as a champion. From Dumbledore's little speech, it seems like Harry's idea is a guarantee success. So big attempt will be when everyone is at dinner, but wont the goblet have been moved by then, so at most a very narrow window of opportunity.

Unfortunately, if Natthan is also forced to compete, then every one will believe Harry aided him, most likly with black magic. I wonder, in some fanfiction, champions are give some kind of immunity or a set of special privlages. I would love to see Harry reacting to the school turning its back to Nathan, a lot of badges will mysteriously combust is my guess.

So this book of mind magics will be eagerly studied. Harry wont stand for his mind messed with, so he will learn to use the skills both defensively, offensively, passive and active. If Calypso's book never mention the memory planting technique, this book must be something new in Harry's view.

I wonder if Albus will be proud or simply surprised, that Harry got in. Best of all, he can tell his parents that without the headmasters advice he would never have got through.

With Albus keeping the map, Rita will have alot of explaining to do if she attempts to sneak in using her bugging form.

I wonder if Harry and Co. would ask Minerva to help them finish their animagus training?

18. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Wow, syed's post was almost readable, and raised an interesting point: if both Harry and Nathan are champions, what'd Harry say about him having helped Nathan? "Nope, I don't believe he has the necessary skills"?

@Kthr: He mentions an Unbreakable Vow, that's definitely enough for him to feel safe about it. In fact, I don't see why he would need additional motivation to do that.

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The beginning seems quite one dimensional, both Kira and the whole 'argument' with Harry and Calypso. I use the word argument loosely, because while in the chapter you say it's an argument, I'm reading, and I'm not seeing much of one, other than Harry yelling for no reason. Not to mention, I still don't buy the whole reasoning on why Harry is going about what he is doing to enter. It's seems very flimsy and not really up to the par of some of your previous ideas from chapters past.

It's all a bit iffy I think, but I did like the idea of cancelling out the ward with one of his own, at least on the surface. But then I realize that that has far more repercussions than just getting his name in the cup, it shows that Harry is just as powerful as Dumbledore. First, it was Grindelwald's achievements, now he's going after part of Dumbledore. There's only so much higher he can go. That whole conversation, while it got the job done, wasn't very imaginative.

I didn't much fancy Hermione's lines in the Hall either, with Calypso, Harry, Ron and Nathan. The rest seemed alright, but hers seemed very off. Well, not off, but over the top. You took one canon characteristic and amplified it tenfold and shoved it in our face.

After that is one of the pet peeves I had from the earlier chapters, and that is everyone being utterly surprised at everything Harry does, and now Calypso as well. “What?” Fred Weasley asked, utterly astonished. “You've gotta be joking, right? You know how to get past the age line, but you're not going to use it?” It just comes off super whimsical and crackish, and reminds me of the scene early on where Molly was adamantly denying that there was no possible way that someone as young as Harry could have made a receptical. I liked the banter between Nathan and Harry and friends though.

I'm not really surprised that the detention scene was brought up at this point. It seems a convenient enough time as any, as when I read that scene and the ones after it, it was one of the most confusing scenes in the story, with no real conclusion to it, and I never really thought we had a real answer to it. It was long enough ago where I had sort of forgotten about it, but I know that you pretty much tie up every single scene in the story.

But, really, I don't think it's that much better of a solution than any of the others. Ultimately, he's still cheating the cup. It doesn't matter what Harry thinks, or any technicalities involved, the fact of the matter is that he's still not seventeen, and no amount of trickery, compulsions, occlumency, deceived perceptions, or aging potions will change the fact that he cheated the cup into thinking he's old enough. It's like having sex with an ugly fat woman. It doesn't matter if you put a brown bag over her face, or put the bag on yours, you still did it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  20. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You read syed's posts? o_O

Not open for further replies.