1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pottermore Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Another Empty Frame, Jun 16, 2011.

1. brad

brad Third Year

Hmm. I've always wondered what they'd do if people hopped onto Pottermore and started (heavily) criticising the books and Rowling's writing. From what's been said here I gather the site is just automatically screening on naughty words.

With a 266 character limit on comments, though, Pottermore isn't the place for real 'discussions' that I thought it might be.

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Correction- comments have a 140 character limit. It's the complaint/suggestion form that has a 266 character limit. Yeah, it's barely facebook in beta mode with training wheels.

The mod engine is geared toward preventing any harsh language, revealing personal details (like city, state, address, age) and limiting discussion of unrelated topics (like politics... or even the word politics)

Also, it's a real bitch trying to talk about real world food, a topic almost as popular in the Hufflepuff common room as the Potter actors.

(If they ever reveal demographic analyses of the site, I guarantee that Hufflepuff will show up as 80% women, 95% women for Puffs with active accounts)

3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I've only logged on once since I finished the first book, and haven't used the other account at all. Every time I go there, it says there are too many users, or it's down for maintenance, or the tea hasn't finished steeping, or the Prime Minister has a rash, or Dame Edna hasn't approved of my presence, or there's a smashing rerun of Are You Being Served on and the server happens to be watching...

:mad:

4. brad

brad Third Year

You'd mentioned earlier that you can't even write *numbers*? What's the reason for their paranoia there, I wonder?

What, if you say "I think there are 300 students at Hogwarts", will your comment be detoured into the OMG DANGEROUS TO KIDDIES stack?

Crikey. That's ... whew. Why on earth would that word be so dangerous?

FOOD? What in blazes is wrong with talking about food?

Seriously, I don't get it, are there reasons stated for these (!?!???!?!!!) rules?

5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Of course there are. You'd know, if you had read the TOS, the FAQ or the page titled Rules. It's supposed to be for kids of all age. So really, what's more surprising than moderated comments is that there are still unmoderated comments.

That said, all comments I made were approved in the end. Even when I started spreading Pureblood propaganda in the Slytherin Common Room.

6. Goreshade

Goreshade Fourth Year

Didn't expect Ravenclaw really, was expecting Slytherin. The ravens were my second choice though.

Also have a badass wand: Maple and phoenix feather, thirteen and a half inches, slightly springy.

I'd like to explore those other damn shops in Diagon Alley, and especially would like to go to Knockturn Alley.

7. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  8. Whoop365

Whoop365 First Year

Is it just me....or does anyone think that pottermore is in trouble when opened to public...

they can't even get it working when its not open to the pucblic joining...what happens when the numbers triple...

Is JK being cheap? or is the another reason that the server can't keep up with everything....

9. wordhammer

News: Pottermore Beta has been extended (with no particular end date mentioned) and they plan to kick everyone out to do upgrades on Wednesday "for a few days". Evidently the deluge of surveys has shocked them out of their project plan.

We'll have to see what else they announce to gauge how embarrassing this may get. Meanwhile, they posted a couple short bits on how the House crests were designed.

10. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

So... still no Pottermore for us who didn't get in Beta?

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sony has a tendency to over-test their software. I doubt it will be open to the public until the major kinks have been worked out of the system. :sherlock:

12. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

Well, in that case, I'm happy to wait for a while longer. They are known to put out quality software.

13. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just realized... this is Sony... beloved targets of LulzSec.

Merlin help us all.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lulzsec doesn't do hacks anymore. They disbanded because pissed-off, career hackers were hunting down the real life identities of the members and handing them over to the police.

You don't mess with the Playstation network without suffering the vengeance of SrzBiniz nerds.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  15. Rah

Rah Death Eater

Totally forgot about my Pottermore account til i saw this thread.
    BloodProphecy59
    Apple wand with a Phoenix Feather core. 12 1/2 inches, Rigid.
    In Gryffindor (unfortunately, was hoping for Slytherin >_>).
    Anyway while this has been fun, back to lurking for me.

16. wordhammer

Following another week-long outage, Pottermore has come back online in a state very close to its intended result.

Duelling is working, potion times have been reduced, and now run even shorter with the more expensive cauldrons. Chapter access only causes issues if you have more than ~250 Friends. They also have found a way to prevent the use of Cheat Engine to accelerate brewing times, hopefully leveling the playing field a little.

They added a maximum of ten duels per half hour per account to throttle the server usage, so this is about as close to ready as I think they'll get. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to end the Beta in January and open things up to new registrations.

17. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And surprise surprise, the duelling system sucks...There seems to be only one spell to use, if you use anything else you get beaten.

18. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe there's a soul bond option that powers up your spells.

19. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or perhaps we can find someway to enlarge our magical core :p

20. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Maybe if we steal some of that Harry Potter kid's. We'd need to have him obliviated after, naturally, with him only recovering the memories after undergoing magical puberty.