1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Funny Pics Part 2

Discussion in 'The Humor Mill' started by Antivash, Jun 2, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  2. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

Apparently, a man ate the box and sued the company. Go figure.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I still don't understand why these kind of lawsuits are successful or even taken seriously at court. I get that it is due to some technical shit but still.

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    One theory I've heard is that sometimes you get judges/juries that don't like the big corporations all that much, will jump at an opportunity to screw over the big faceless corporation in favor of the "little guy."

5. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Either that or the judges/juries are stupid.

6. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

When have these frivoulous lawsuits against corporations gone anywhere? And I'd like to see the source of the guy suing the company over eating the box as I doubt he actually succeeded.

On topic:
    [​IMG]

7. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

Wouldn't the case get thrown out before it even reached any sort of jury ? It's probably more a matter of the company just being careful is all.

8. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As I understand it, 99.99% of the time, it doesn't work.

Also, on the few occasions where a "frivolous" lawsuit does work, it's usually because the media left out or changed a couple inconvenient facts in order to have a better story. Link.

Yeah, almost every time someone gets money off a genuinely frivolous lawsuit, it's because the company decides it's cheaper/less trouble to settle out of court than to actually take the case to trial.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, that McDonalds coffee thing came up on some reddit thread. The burns the woman got were pretty fucking horrific.

10. BloodRedSword

:facepalm

That is one retarded bitch... First, she order for hot coffee which would mean the coffee is hot. Second, she is stupid enough to place is between her legs. There are cup holder in the car design to people to put cups in. It is seriously shocking to find out that she actually won the law suit.

Anyway, :awesome:awesome
    [​IMG]

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Not really. McDonalds shouldn't have been serving coffee hot enough to cause third degree burns in a fucking drive-thru.

12. BloodRedSword

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Un-fucking-believable...

Scalding time in ratio to temperature

If you suggest coffee be served by all shop be 51°C and below, you are seriously delusional. I am more than willing to bet that stupid woman makes her own coffee and they are as hot as McDonald's.

There is no excuse for stupidity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

McDonalds served their coffee at 180-190°F, or 82.2-87.8°C.

That is a hell of a lot hotter than 51°C.

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  15. BloodRedSword

:facepalm:facepalm

Apparently you missed the last line. It takes 5 second to cause a 3rd degree burn for a 60°C. And coffee at 50°C? You want to add some ice while you are at it?

My point being if you order hot coffee, you jolly well don't do stupid like like placing the cup between your goddamn legs. Use some common sense!

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'd like to safely assume when purchasing a hot drink that if it somehow manages to spill (whether by someone running into my car, a child accidentally hitting it, or the waitress/server dumping it on me by accident) that I will have more than 2-5 seconds to GET IT OFF OMG before I have serious burns that require medical attention. Especially if you are presumably buckled in place at the time it spills, but hell, even if it isn't.

Drinks don't need to be served luke-warm by any means, but pick a temperature that will give people 10 seconds or so to jump around and get away from it if something happens. Third Degree burns are not just slightly more painful versions of regular burns you know. Just because the lady in this case was an idiot who stuck it between her legs in a car doesn't mean that it still wasn't too hot.

Edit: That said, she got paid a bit much. Granted perhaps less wouldn't have bothered McD all that much, but still. It seems to have encouraged people to try stuff like this on purpose in some cases.

Edit2: Also, if it's hot enough to cause third-degree burns then it's too damned hot to drink anyway.

17. BloodRedSword

What are you going to do in that 2-5 seconds? Take off your clothes in public?

:facepalm:facepalm

If someone runs into your car, I would think you might have a bigger problem that some hot coffee. If the waitress or server dumped it on you, go ahead and sue them. But if you are stupid enough to place the cup between your leg while driving, you deserve it. You have no right to sue the company based your stupidity. And for goodness sake, when we order hot coffee, we expect it to be, you know, hot?

[​IMG]

Edit: I know about burns well, I'm Paramedic.

18. NobelFiction

NobelFiction Seventh Year

19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

In this instance, they paid up because A) It was served well above what they tell employees to serve it at for safety and B) Because she had sweatpants on, the coffee seeped in and stayed and indeed gave her extreme third degree burns over most of her thigh which required reconstructive surgery and C) They had previously refused her original lawsuit for them to simply pay her medical bills, so she shot for more the second time.

20. Vincent

Vincent Death Eater

I think if I were being burned then I wouldn't think twice about throwing a few clothes off in public.

Not open for further replies.