1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ulkser, Sep 11, 2009.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

Upon reading your post, the only thing I really focus on is the overuse of emoticons, and the first thing that came to mind was thank god it wasn't those damned dancing bananas.

2. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I don't know, I feel there is better ways it could have been done. Having Harry get through the age line, then be stopped from entering his name by someone would have been more believable and set up a strong point of conflict for the rest of the year. It could have been anyone, like Karkaroff because he wanted Viktor to compete, or a jealous student (Ron?), or any random proffessor. Imagine Harry's reaction to something like that happening.

Point is, there are other options that allow for Harry to bypass the age line and still be barred from the tournament, and it is dissapointing that the Santi used such a contrived way to do so.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Santi has given us a great story so far. Not a good story, a great one. anyone bitching about Harry not being in the TWT needs to take a step back and have a bit of faith in the author. He's promised us that this is the year where shit starts going down and I believe him, if only for the Godric's Hollow scene with the Aqua Eructo spell. That felt like all kinds of epic.

This thread is over 5k posts long for a reason. The first three years could have been dull as fuck but they haven't been. Harry's succeeded at pretty much everything he's set his mind to and I, for one, am curious as fuck as to what heights this failure will drive him to.

TL;DR: Calm the fuck down and wait for the next update before judging.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, you pretty much just wrote exactly what I was thinking but unable to express.

So much this.

5. bastur2

bastur2 DA Member

You know, I really don't understand the beaching about how Harry failed to enter his name.

And I'm saying this, because, in my view, it was in completely in character for Harry to wait for the last minute to try to put his name in the goblet.

You see, not only his ego demanded that he made it with plenty of witness to prove his superiority over the rest of the student body, but by waiting, he would guaranty that his name would enter in the most daring and risked way, increasing his odds of being chosen. In resume, he gambled and lost.

Now, what I really want to see is harry's and nathan's training. Would he use the same methods that Quirel used with him? Can you see it not ending in tears and blood?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. Rakkety Tam

The only problem I have with this is that I feel as if most people aren't upset over Harry not getting in the TWT. They are upset over how the Santi kept him out of the tournament.

7. Seratin

High Score:
    I don't see why. You can point out as many holes as you like but the way it was done was still a damned sight more fun to read than if Harry crept in with no witnesses. This is a fic about Harry being an epic badass. The legend of Harry Potter and how he became what he is.

Yeah, the teachers could have stopped him, though I have no idea why you think they would have. Yeah he could have done it earlier, though what if he wasn't completely ready? My point is, it fits completely with this story that harry would storm in, walk up the aisle like a badass and try to outsmart one of the greatest wizards ever in front of the entirety of Hogwarts and all it's visitors.

8. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    No it's not.

The only excuse that I am willing to accept is that they had just finished with the preparations and got there as soon as possible. Wasting time just so he can show up at the last minute for dramatic effect is completely out of character.

I'd like to believe that they were so pressed for time that they literally only just finished at the last minute.

9. Seratin

High Score:
    lolwut? You're not his fucking boss holding a deadline over him you cunt. It's like people feel that they're owed something by Santi instead of being grateful that he's writing a full length awesome fic and hasn't abandoned it.

You're free to stop reading at any time, Republic but in the meantime, try to be less of a cunt with an entitled attitude.

10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Why should The Santi care whether I accept something or not? That is, he doesn't, and I know that.
    Perhaps my phrasing was wrong. But whichever the case, try to be less of a cunt to people stating opinions opposite to yours.

11. Rakkety Tam

I was under the impression that we were supposed to point out what we thought was wrong with the chapter, and the Santi can decide what he agrees or disagrees with.

Also, I thought this story was about Harry being competent and hard working not about him being a badass.

12. Seratin

High Score:
    Sorry, you were misinformed.

13. Rakkety Tam

Well, in that case, I'm going to have to downgrade this story to a 3/5. Nathan got passed all of the tasks, faced Voldemort for the stone, fought a Basilisk, and is now in the TWT.

Harry has published a paper, broke a school record, and learned a few impressive spells. Watch out, we got ourselves a real badass here.

14. Seratin

High Score:
    Stating Harry Potter's (In this case Nathan's) achievements as badassery is flawed in the extreme but I'm stepping out of this mire before we get hit by the massively derailing trainwreck coming around the corner.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  15. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

Honestly it is only a problem because there has been such a long wait before Harry has actually had an adventure. It has literally been 4 years worth of prologue. Interesting, brilliantly written prologue but still, a bit much.
    Had Harry been involved in epic events in his durmstrang years I suspect this plot twist wouldn't have caused so much as a hiccup in the fandom. Personally I am happy to simply wait and see but part of me thinks this might have been a slight mis-step.

Part of me had always dreamed of Harry losing to Nathan in the TWT being a turning point in the story.

16. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

Uh so in Seratins world we have to accept and not criticize anything Santi does because his earlier chapters ranged from quite good to excellent and you think his Harry is a badass? Lol what DLP do you belong to?

Go on thinking whatever you want of the story. Meanwhile the rest of us are gonna keep on doing the same, pointing things we think are flawed and laughing at you acting like a butthurt cunt over people not bowing down to your opinion of a story. Y'know just how DLP does in every other review thread.

It's also quite funny how you've trotted out the litany of excuses proffered by the denizens of FFN against criticism of any popular story. "It's got over 5k replies, it must be good." "It doesn't matter if it has plot holes, it's fun." "Who cares if that doesn't make sense it was cool." "How dare you criticize, you should be grateful its being written."

Every single one of those is bullshit when used to defend criticism of a bad story and they're equally bullshit when used to respond to criticism of perceived flaws in a good story.

17. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

I swear I feel my IQ dropping every time I visit this thread and that's something I really can't afford. I just can't look away though.

18. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Okay, just what the fuck happened in this thread?

19. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I suggest reading it to find out.l

20. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Anger. Anger and aching posteriors.

Not open for further replies.