1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Hero's Path by TheJackOfDiamonds - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Gatemaster

Gatemaster Guest

What Evil Shnitzel said. But no opinion on pairings.

2. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Did you people miss this part? Hello? Anybody home? McFly?

On the question of the pairing, I'll happily vote LEAVE ALL ROMANCE OUT OF THE FIC.
    Or better known as Harry/hand.

3. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Seconded. Especially with a fic like this where the romance doesn't really fit and would only look forced. And you'll get more readers with Harry/hand :p

4. TheJackOFDiamonds

TheJackOFDiamonds Third Year

On the whole romance thing, as of right now I'm not writing with any specific pairing in mind. I have a couple that I think might work, but really what I'm trying to do right now it to develop characters so that if they do get together later, it makes sense.

The question you have to ask is: what type of girl would Harry go for? More importantly, what would have to happen for him and that girl to get together? Can anyone honestly see Harry walking up to Hermione like:

"H-Hey, Hermione, I was just wondering if, uh, well, that is, willyougotoHogsmedewithme?"

I'd have to slap myself for writing something like that :rrou:, and if anybody honestly thinks that the Harry from my story would do that, then I already fucked up.

If I do end up putting some romance in the story, I want it to be between characters that have defined personalities, not "hey, you're Ron's sister, I love you!" :puke:

-the Jack

5. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Romance? if you even consider a pairing, it would be Daphne. Otherwise, leave it out.

6. TheJackOFDiamonds

Ok, chapter 15 is up.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2869936/15/

I didn't really change that much from the rough draft. I took out the scene with Lucius Malfoy and changed the conversation with Tracey around a little. I also put in a little more justification for why Harry was went into a coma. Other than that, all the changes were pretty minor, so it's basically the same chapter.

Thanks again to everyone who commented.

-the Jack

7. cmuylistoooo

cmuylistoooo Fourth Year

well it seems like in the romance part your trying to define tracey more....daphne seems like bitch with attitude.....

man that boggart scene was pretty intense, he needs to get his riddikulus spell up....

8. CGB

CGB Auror

I liked the new chapter, but I think Harry shouldn't have forgiven the twins so easily. If he put Malfoy in the hospital wing for a few days he should at least get some minor revenge against the Gryffindors.

9. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

I know the drummer from McFly

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  10. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

That was pretty random.

11. Element

Element Seventh Year

Not particularly subtle name-dropping. ;)
    Right, on topic. Yes. Erm. Screw it. Leave romance out unless you're sure you'll be able to write it well, and not romance for romance's sake. If the girl has something to do with the plot, then sure, knock yourself out. Very good chapter, by the way. Looking forward to more. And now I'll just go away, pretending I didn't write that just so I can say that I vaguely contributed to the topic.

12. SLASH SUCKS

SLASH SUCKS Backtraced

I say the confrontation between Harry and Lucious should consist of Harry pissing him off somehow, like in COS, and Lucious decides to pull out his wand, while Harry pwns him with a pinky finger. Once Draco witnesses the pwn he loses respect for his daddy, and their enemity for eachother disappears, or worsens. I think the house politics idea is getting a little out of hand, for example, Harry just wants to learn how to produce a potronus and now all Harry seems to do is protect every house, but his own. He seems to have lost sight of the need to learn that particular spell, when only a few chapters ago thats all he was thinking about.

I was a little confused why the Puffs and Sprout were giving Harry the cold shoulder saying he's really not worth are time, he's a lost cause and that kind of thing is it because they believed the lies in the profit? I thought they were known to be loyal or is that loyalty only to housemates and people that have earned it?

Overall I think this chapter was good, but i think house rivalries are overshadowing the plot. The only houses that fight are Slytherins and Gryffs, but it seems everyone is against Harry.

13. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon DA Member

It’s worth reading but I thought it was kind of wordy and hard to fallow.

14. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

uh... you want draco to be harry's friend? ouch.
    i don't find the style too wordy, but that may be becasue i do even worse. ah well...

I would be pleasantly surprised if draco or lucius dies.

15. SLASH SUCKS

SLASH SUCKS Backtraced

No I don't think there are friends in slytherin just leaders and followers. At the very least Draco won't try to attack Harry after he has seen how badass Harry is, unless his father is stupid enough to send Draco on a suicide mission when he's older.

16. Assassinator_of_Dumbledor

Assassinator_of_Dumbledor Raptured to Hell

I would be happy to see one of the twins die for what happened to Harry. But, from what you wrote so far there would more likely be a harry/snape parring than that. I have enjoyed reading it so far and hope that you keep up the great work

17. TheJackOFDiamonds

The rough draft of chapter 16 is up in the work by author section.

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=2376

I listed most of my concerns in that thread, and I'm anxious to see what people think. There isn't really anything exciting in this chapter, but I need it to set up chapter 17, which should be pretty cool.

As always, I appreciate any comments you guys have, and please put all comments on the draft in THAT thread, and save this thread for comments about the final chapters in the story, so nobody (read: me) gets confused.

-the Jack

18. TheJackOFDiamonds

Ok, chapter 16 is up.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2869936/16/

It's pretty long and a lot of it is plot development and set up, but I need it for the next chapter, which should be cool.

As always, comments welcome.

-the Jack

19. Devin Cybrus

Devin Cybrus First Year

Wah, after reading that chapter I just wanna say that I really like your Dumbledore. He's a lot like the Dumbledore from the books, at least in my imagination - a little manipulative and sneaky, but only towards what he sees as the "greater good", sometimes even disregarding what individuals may want.

Reading a Evil!Manipulative!Corrupt!Bastard Dumbledore can be fun sometimes, but I like it better when his characterization comes more in line with the canon.

That's all. Good chapter, I like 'em nice and long.

20. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

ch16

I am going to say the opposite. I think Canon!Dumbledore sees the "greater good for the individual". I really didn't like how enthusiastic AD was when he realised he could help Harry along in his plan...I know it fits him, it's just...

Well, hard to find a reason. I am going to go and read this revised version now.

EDIT: Ah, btw, i like long chapters, so don't apologise for that... Drool at the sight of good old 20k long chapters.

Re-Edit: Though i can understand why some people like brevity, and how you don't want to put in subplot after subplot. am a bit sad you didn't, though this fic may not be meant as an epic.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006