1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your pet peeves in fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Mock Moniker, Jan 31, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Shhh, don't say anything like this around Portus; he'd say 'Suspension of Disbelief'. :awesome

2. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I can't stand those stupid "these people read the Harry Potter books". It's the most stupid fucking idea. Or those dumbass useless stories of "Ask the character questions!" horseshit. Get these stories the fuck off of ffnet!

3. lilandriss

lilandriss Second Year

What's with fics written in Spanish or some other language being posted in the English section of FFnet lately? The language option is there for a reason people! Stop posting languages I can't read in the English section!

4. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

Nicolas Flamel having Dumbledore levels of power instead of being a wizard of average power with a wicked talent for alchemy. The fact that he relied on Gringotts and Dumbledore to protect the stone, despite being 600+ years old, seems to suggest that he's a pretty average wizard who's good at alchemy.

5. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

It's just as likely as not.

I prefer seeing the Flamel's portrayed as cunning rather than powerful myself. Also, the "Philosopher's Stone" seems more like bait than the real deal. It's supposedly capable of being destroyed, why not do just that if it isn't anything other than bait to lure in Voldemort. Nicholas made one, I'm sure he could make another, so there's no reason to keep it hidden in a school.

6. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

It could've been a fluke of magic.

I recall reading a short story once, in which Dumbledore visits Flamel. Turns out that despite his accomplishment Flamel is, in fact, a muggle alchemist. It's a nice twist.

7. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

In VotN's Sitra Ahra Flamel can't remember how to recreate the stone.

8. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Or simply a 600 years old alchemist just keeps it within his sight. I mean would you give something capable of producing endless amounts of gold to Goblins? Let alone to Dumbledore to be seen as nothing but a plaything. I always thought it was just a fake.

9. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I always thought of Flamel as someone borderline autistic, same as as wife. That way they can actually stand each other for six hundred plus years. A crazy obsession with his precious stone, but not really a people person. Or that good at spells, that's why he got into alchemy.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

So... like The Big Bang Theory, but set in France, with a series run of 600+ years?

11. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Authors really need to learn how to use quotation marks. I've seen a few stories where single quotation marks are used everywhere. It really breaks up the flow of the story.

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    THIS.

Lots of authors seem to use it. And I'm not sure why - initially I thought it could be something a certain country teaches, but it doesn't appear so. Even some otherwise good authors do this (although I can't name any off of the top of my head), and whilst it doesn't actually ruin the story, it can make it damned hard to read.

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

You mean, the single quotation marks as used in the Harry Potter books? :rolleyes:

14. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Actually, single quotation marks used to be the British convention, though I don't know if that's still the case.

If a writer uses them instead of double-quotation marks but uses them correctly and consistently, then it looks kind of old-fashioned, but it doesn't bother me much.

15. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

I'm referring to authors using quotation marks to set aside or emphasize words. I could not care less about authors using single quotations for speech.

e.g.:
    If Harry hadn't been already anticipating it, he might not have been ready for how quickly the Headmaster's hand came up to throw the 'Petrificus Totalus" hex at him. He was ready though, and Harry's response was much more vindictive. Shielding his thoughts against any chance that the Headmaster would try to use them to anticipate his attack, Harry thought to himself, "Laceo". The cutting curse was just on the edge of being a 'dark' curse and therefore banned by the Ministry for Magic.

Those quotation marks should be removed, although the double quotation mark is somewhat defensible.

16. Portus

Portus Heir

Well there's your problem: Stop - right now - reading stories in which Harry tries to fight Dumbledore, stories where Harry has any success at "shielding his thoughts" while Dumbledore is still alive, stories where Harry uses "a cutting curse just on edge of being 'dark'" or "banned by the Ministry."

Those stories are shit, almost without exception.

17. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Now that's just awful.

And everyone knows it's way more fun if you use cutting curses that crossed the edge-of-being-dark line a genocide ago. Way to pussy out there, author.

18. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

It was shit. That section was in the first chapter. It didn't take me long to discard the story.

19. Portus

Portus Heir

I always shake my head (and X out) when I come across a story I which Harry not only *tries* to take on Dumbledore, but it's especially absurd when the result is anything other than "and when the smoky haze cleared a bit, Dumbldore looked with great sadness upon the greasy spot on the floor of the Great Hall; a greasy spot in the shape of a lightning bolt, in the middle of which a pair of cracked spectacles was gently smoking.

The End"

20. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

So you never read nuhuh's Catharsis?

Not open for further replies.