1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your pet peeves in fanfiction

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Mock Moniker, Jan 31, 2011.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Countess Whitewing

Countess Whitewing First Year

Pet Peeve: When a fanfic author does this when they mention Sirius... "..killed thirteen Muggles.." *eye twitches* I could have sworn it was twelve muggles plus supposedly Pettigrew! :fire

Am I wrong and going on a rage every time I see this for no reason? 'Cause usually I'm like *buzzer sound* "Sorry Hans, wrong guess! Would you like to go for double jeopardy where the scores can really change?" :sherlock:

2. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

You are correct, but may I ask why you doubted it? Just take out PoA and check it!

3. Countess Whitewing

Countess Whitewing First Year

Hmmm... Oh right, Stan says that in The Knight Bus chapter. For some strange reason whenever I go to check I always stare at that discussion between Fudge, McGonagall, Flitwick, Hagrid and Madame Rosmerta in The Marauder's Map chapter. Blonde moment! Lol. :awesome

Edit: And thank you for pointing out where that actually was for me. :D

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  4. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

Never really thought about it that way, but I could see that.

Of course, I am partial to blaming the Dursleys for Harry's laziness, not Ron. Actually the combination of all three is probably what did it.

General apathy from time with Dursleys + Lazy Best Mate + Overly Studious Best Friend = Canon Harry?

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems the best all round explanation I've seen.

6. El Duderino

El Duderino Groundskeeper

Harry having some sort of fetish for treacle tart.

That is all.

7. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Hahaha, so much this. It's mentioned that he eats it, like, a handful of times, and always at feasts, but the fandom's extrapolated Harry's psychological dependency on treacle tart from that. :facepalm

8. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

I don't think Ron corrupts Harry my problem is that Ron is just a bad friend (more towards hermione than Harry) he doesn't listen and always assumes, most people would just stop being Ron's friend based on that. I know I would

9. Portus

Portus Heir

You'd better be glad your friends aren't so shallow about grammar and run-on sentences.

10. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Seriously, you'd stop being his friend because of three or four examples over seven years. You would throw away the first friendship you ever had, a friend you've shared near death experiences, who's risked his life for you. He's a bit of an ass at times, he makes some bad decisions in high pressure situations or when he feels strongly about something. But he is still there when it counts.

Nah, no you wouldn't.

11. thejabber27

New pet peeve, Harry dating a vampire. :facepalm

12. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Actually, I believe the fandom's fixation on treacle tart has nothing to do with Harry eating it, and everything to do with it being one of the things Amortentia Potion smells like, to him.

I guess the thinking is that, to Harry, treacle tart = love, and the fandom are the ones actually eating it up.

13. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Correction: Harry dating poorly written, poorly characterized vampires.

Or just reading shit fics.

14. thejabber27

When are vampires ever well written in Harry Potter fanfic?

15. Smore

Smore Third Year DLP Supporter

Eh, doesn't mean they can't be.

Teenage pregnancy. I understand it happens, but I really don't want to read fanfic about it. Unfortunately it's not the kind of thing that generally gets a warning.

16. thejabber27

Fair enough.

17. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

Harry Potter and the Litany of Blood had some alright vampires - pity it was never finished.

18. LittleBlackGoldfish

LittleBlackGoldfish Third Year

The tendency of authors in Independent!Harry fanfics to have him suddenly stop trusting everyone, then pick one or two names out of a hat and assign them as Harry's go to people. I understand the desire, but frankly everyone in his life has always trusted Dumbledore implicitly, so to have any of the people in his life being 100% loyal to him and start dsitrusting Dumbledore at a moments notice almost always gaurantees that I'll drop a fic unless it is astoundingly well written and otherwise very interesting. The only people I can think of who would trust Harry that much might be Ron and Hermione, but there are all sorts of other arguments to be made for why they might not side with him immediately over Dumbledore, plenty of people don't trust Dumbledore though, like the Malfoys, or Fudge but none of them are people a person resembling canon Harry is going to go ot. I can never get past the feeling that a Harry who suddenly distrusts Dumbeldore is going to quickly find himself without trustworthy people he can count on.

Of course, Dobby would do anything for Harry Potter and has no reason to trust Dumbeldore especially. Or more accurately has no reason to trust any wizard except for Harry.

19. GrayFox

GrayFox Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

"That's okay, Sod the lot of them! I don't need anyone else as long as I've got you" stated Harry with a strange look in his eyes.

"Of course Dobby be staying with Greatest Wizard Harry Potter Sir. Dobby be doing anything for Greatest Wizard Harry Potter Sir" was the enthusiastic, if creepy, response.

20. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Unless that's a Harry who has been brainwashed by his love-stalker (not Ginny), or drugged by an obsessed secondary character (such as Tonks, Fleur), fuck no.

Not open for further replies.