1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect 3 General

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Iztiak, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

They were talking about this 9 months ago on EA's forums I found out while googling yesterday, don't let them bullshit you.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/7561336/1

They claimed it was a hoax, then they claimed it wasn't DLC, then they claimed it was an idea but got nixed, then they claimed... etc. This person nailed it 9 months ago

Which started an uproar, to which BioWare's Community Coordinator Chris Priestly replied

I don't know why I'd never heard of it before, I guess because it only went to one thread on Ea's forums and a small thread on gamefaqs.

Now the stance is:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/9403705

Don't care about the weapon, or the alternate appearance. Sounds like your typical DLC mission, which wouldn't be so horrible, if it wasn't a fucking PROTHEAN. So basically, they're throwing away someone that should be a game changer, on a bullshit sidequest. I just don't get it.

2. Midknight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixk9ORP-U28

What is this I don't even... it's African o_O? I mean I'm not sure what I'd expect it to sound like... but that accent doesn't fit the character any better then Tali's fits hers. Especially considering it's insectoid.

3. LittleBlackGoldfish

LittleBlackGoldfish Third Year

I'm not sure what you mean about the accents. It's all essentially arbitrary, considering they're aliens, that they resemble ANY specific accents. Whether it does or doesn't fit the chracter depends on what the character is, and all we have at the moment is 'prothean'.

I'll be honest, it wouldn't have been my first choice either, but like you said I'm not sure what I would have gone with so it doesn't really make much sense to me to be all that suprised by it.

4. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Sounds African/Carribean, to me.

Really reminds me of the drug gang members in Predator 2.

"You want some ganja, man? Hahahaha..."

5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually like the voice.

Don't really like how he refers to himself as a Prothean though. "Prothean" isn't likely to be what they called their species, since it's basically a synonym for "Ancients" or "Precursors." Unless he's just referring to himself as that purely for others' convenience.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think Jamaican is the word you are looking for. Definitely sounds like a Jamaican accent to me.

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Wow lol. LOOOL. When does it end?

8. LittleBlackGoldfish

There's an easy answer for that; it's just the stuff that does the translating finding the closest word. I think Virgil uses Prothean as well in ME1, so it has some precedence at least.

9. Midknight

I just expected something higher pitched with voice effects on it to make it sound buggy or something I dunno. Or even just make him sound like Vigil, that AI in ME1. Make him Vigil's creator or something and give him the same voice.

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I'm getting a baaad feeling about this game.

11. LittleBlackGoldfish

You can't tell it's been a long time since I played ME1 because I wrote Virgil.

I think that would have been too cute for my tastes; making him Vigil's creator.

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I personally wanted him to have the Collector General voice.

I AM ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

13. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Making him Vigil's creator wouldn't make an ounce of sense, considering Ksad Ishan was one of the Prothean scientists that died on the Citadel after blocking the signal going to the Keepers.

Vigil was also an AI, and his voice wasn't meant to be an indicator of the Prothean species as a whole. The voices of the Protheans in that distress call before you meet Vigil, however, were (video link for convenience). They don't sound African, but then again there's nothing saying that all the species in Mass Effect have to have a specific accent that they stick to religiously. There was a Turian mechanic on Noveria with a Brooklyn-ish accent after all.

I really don't see anything worth getting worked up over regarding this guy's voice. How he's integrated into the game, however, is another story.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  14. Midknight

Wasn't getting worked up about it, I was saying it just sounded so far out of what you'd expect coming out of that character model's mouth that it was just.. off.

On a sidenote, at least it's not Diablo 3, where the developers are telling people to lower their expectations, lol.

15. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm playing on xbox and have never played a previous Mass Effect, so this demo is pretty addicting to me. Picked it up last night and my squad played multiplayer for hours. I'm enjoying pistols-only on silver with a 200% power recharge rate, while playing as an Engineer.

I guess I can see why you all would dislike this, seeing as I don't have the expectations from earlier games to live up to. It's a blast, imo.

16. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Lol at the day 1 DLC rage. Glad I reserved my collectors edition last year. [/smug]

Personally, I think arguing over the accent is pointless, since it is all arbitrary as has been stated. Also, for those of you who forgot, the Quarians in ME2 had wildly varying accents, from the SoCal ditz you run into on Illium talking to that poor friend-zoned Turian, to Tali's Slavic accent, to Admiral Gerrel's mild South African/Australian (can't decide which it is). It's actually kind of funny to listen to all the bizarrely clashing accents when you wander around the Rayya During Tali's loyalty mission.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Prothean's accent is more African mainland than Jamaican. I work with a couple of Jamaican guys, and you literally can hardly understand a word that comes out of their mouths, the accent is so thick. It actually reminds me more of that dictator from Lord of War than any Jamaican I've heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go9kV4nxsfk (Skip to 1:40)

17. Iztiak

You really should play the previous games. They are spectacular.

And I find the demo addicting too, though my expectations are rather high.

But yes, they are worth it. Seriously.

18. LittleBlackGoldfish

Though you should be forewarned that the first game's gameplay is...unpolished to put it nicely.

19. Iztiak

... I loved the first game's gameplay, dunno what you're talking about. Guess it's personal preference.

Actually playing ME1 right now.

20. LittleBlackGoldfish

Powers are fine. Cover system is shit. Guns start out with zero accuracy. I love the game too, but it has flaws that it really ought to have had. Mind you most of this only matters the first time play a new character because it's the only time you start at level 1. After about level 20 or so the amount of points you have means you don't really need to go into cover all that much and your guns fire fine.