1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) III

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 14, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've seen similar stuff before, with Harry deciding his magic is something else (usually the Force, a superpower, or he's a planeswalker), and they all tend to have a common point at which they become steaming piles of crap.

When he gets his Hogwarts letter.

At this point, whatever he has learnt either becomes useless, because wizard magic is better/more refined; a background feature, because the writer is terrible; or awesome, because everyone knows magic and has no counter to his abilities.

I'd be willing to read it, but you'd have so many potential pitfalls you need to avoid.

2. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

This is a plot bunny I found from one of my readers' profiles:

That thing is just badass.

3. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Quoted for truth.

There are so many problems with this idea. Firstly, the whole Harry accidentally discovers magic is both bad and overused. Secondly, Why Star Wars? There are so many things he could see and decide to start using magic, why doesn't he decide he wants to be a Power Ranger. Star Wars is possibly the least likely, this is the early 90's it was between the old movies and the new ones, and you have him pre Hogwarts age, not the age group that really watches Star Wars. And this is all before you get him to Hogwarts.

You say that he won't be overpowered because others will have the same abilities, then what the fuck is the point in the story. If you just power everyone up equally then it defeats the purpose, you're right back where you started and it's just a canon rehash. If you want to give Harry cool new powers then go ahead, but you need to make him weaker in other areas. Maybe make it so that he can only use this type of power, he can't use normal magic. Then at least you add some sort of conflict into the story.

4. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's a very original setup. Interesting thing are differences between Harrys. On the one hand they're the same person at the beginning of the split. They spent the same amount of time in two universes, so they aren't influenced more by either of them. They live through the same consequences in the long run.

And yet, any short term situations affect only one of them, so over time there will be more and more differences between them. That gives a lot potential for conflicts in this story.

5. h2o

h2o Professor

This sounds very much like Awake. Kinda funny as Malfoy Sr. is in it :p

I'd love to read this, or an Awake!Harry.

6. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I had a glimpse at a Plot Bunny or perhaps a question that could lead to one of you guys referring me to another story... in my spare time I've been scanning a fic called 'Stealing Time' (Don't bother looking if you are adverse to Harry/Hermione fluff, though its not absolutely terrible... its an almost rec at best) and in it...

Well, Harry uses the mirror to contact Sirius and they don't go to the Department of Mysteries at all. Dumbledore goes into hiding and has little contact with anyone, even the Order. During the summer Harry stays with Sirius and is allowed to sit in on a meeting where Snape informs them that Voldemort has assumed Harry has learned Occlumency, and may even be reading Voldemort's thoughts... thus, he becomes paranoid and starts moving his horcruxes around (though they have no idea that they are horcruxes at this point...)

Anyway, the only thing that stuck in my mind was the fact that Dumbledore isn't involved except for being exceedingly mysterious and Fawkes popping in at the right place, right time. In fact, Umbridge is still at Hogwarts come the following summer.

Are there any other GOOD stories where Dumbledore leaves Hogwarts early?

And as far as my plot bunny goes...

Dumbledore leaves during Order of the Phoenix and allows Umbridge free reign at the school. Harry uses the mirror early on and realizes that Sirius is not in danger and thus avoids the Department of Mysteries. Harry returns to Grimmauld and is under the watchful eye of not only Sirius but the entire household (to his annoyance). The prophecy is not recovered, Voldemort has not been seen by the masses and Dumbledore is at large...

7. Bill Door

While it's an interesting idea, I don't see what your story is. What's going to happen next? What is Dumbledore doing? You need to come up with an entirely different timeline. Essentially you need to write two more whole books, changing every event from the middle of OOTP onwards. While it could be good it's probably a bit overambitious.

8. thebrute7

thebrute7 High Inquisitor

It's more like one and a half books since 6 and 7 were mostly filler anyway... but yeah, it's a big undertaking. Could be interesting though, depending on what the major events that occur instead are.

9. Portus

Portus Heir

It's not so large; after all, every canon divergence has to, y'know, diverge somewhere, and then deal with the changes consequent to it.

Oh, and Averis:
    It's "averse." "Adverse" is an adjective, seen most often as "adverse reaction." "Averse" is also an adjective, but is almost always seen as "averse to."

EDIT: Link

Not trying to be a dick or grammar Nazi, but those kinds of things matter.

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

See, this is the sort of shit that people (especially myself) should know. :)

11. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Wizarding America really never got off the ground like their muggle counterparts did. They never switched off from the articles of confederation and because of that states gained large amounts of power and land, constantly competing with each other to be the one with the most say.

Eventually when the civil war broke out with the muggles the wizards did the same thing only splitting in a completely different way.
    -Oregon broke off taking all of what is now Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming. Most of Nevada, Northern California, and Utah.
    -Arizona took the rest of California, Nevada, and Utah along with half of Colorado.
    -Texas broke apart with what would become New Mexico, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, and the other half of Colorado.
    -Virginia took North and South Carolina by force, Kentucky and Tennessee through a treaty and Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi all just fell along with them.
    - The Federal Gov barely managed to hold on to New England, Maryland, Delaware, Ohio, New York and Pennsylvania.

Each faction has a radically different government than the others. From the surprisingly accepting Virginia Alliance, to the facist-like Federal government. The rest of the territories are lawless lands left to a combination or Fae, Vampires, and werewolves. Essentially I was just looking for a believable reason on why Harry would be fighting for one of the sides. My top ideas was one faction supporting Voldemort, or a mercenary Harry going over to fight for one of the factions under a false story that it's a few Dark Lords from the Federal Gov.

12. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've always loved Wizards in America plots but they're a guilty pleasure. In the sprawling world I'm constructing for my series Nine Men, Nine Steps, Nine Wands, America never got a wizarding population per se. Instead criminals sometimes hide there, only to be chased out by the small detachment of the Catholic Church's enforcers that have been maintained in Mexico for several centuries to keep the Americas free of witches, Wizards, and all non-native magical creatures.

But the Confederations idea is pretty good, and I'd love to see a story off of it.

13. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Before They Burn has something to that regard too... >_> <_<

14. lilandriss

lilandriss Second Year

Oh, I like both of those! Hm. Would be a fun RP to explore.

15. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Been working on something new in the 500 club, but I don't know if it has much merit.

The working premise is that Voldemort did something to the nature of magic, be it removing some hitherto hidden barrier or just inviting magic from outside the natural realm in, but before he was killed at last in 1997 he most definitely altered the structure and knowledge.

As a result, Words(be they spells, curses, or charms) for the various fields and particular elements suddenly began to emerge as if they were always there, releasing spells equivalent to Fiendfyre(the most potent flame) for all of the other branches.

To elaborate, if a Wizard or Witch has the knowledge of a Word or set of them, they can more or less command magic that is vastly powerful with little restriction besides their own stamina and control over it, and with time and training that can be developed into a second-hand, instinctual matter.

Over the next several years untold Elemental Lords, who have sole command over one of the named elements from the lowest tier up to the highest, Enchanters, who do the same but for only the lower tier or a secondary branch such as Transfiguration, and lastly Mages, who aren't restricted to a single element or tier of Words but can use any and all of them, emerge throughout the world and begin vying for the position of undisputed ruler of the planet and the destruction of anyone opposing them.

Harry, having united the Hallows, suddenly finds himself knowing Words of death, but unlike the opposition he does not actively pursue the progression of them or his usage of them and just tries to live a normal life before it all hits the fan during those several years, and the world more or less enters an apocalyptic state from all of the raw, primal energy being thrown around like its nothing.

Here's all I've put together for it so far;
    Good, workable, bad, or scrap it and try anew?

16. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dragon Shouts?

Also, is Harry a mage in this?

But yeah, I'd read it.

17. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm averse to grammar Nazis. Also, I, Averis, am now an adversary of Portus.

As far as my mini-Dumbledore bunny, more than anything I was looking for a solid fic where Dumbledore plays little to no part and yet still is this most important person (besides Harry) in the fic. Of course, this would require him to still be alive during the story. For example, Dumbledore sends Fawkes to help Harry at the opportune moment, or comes flying into the battle between Voldemort and Harry in a blaze of glory, on the wings of a albatross named Orville...

18. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh my god, can I use this? I'll do Absentee!Dumbledore in my series (currently being renamed) just to have Orville and all the amazing Romanticist things I can do with it, and that's ignoring the Ryme of the Ancient Mariner (and I won't be ignoring it).

19. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

A plot bunny attacked to me last night.

Idea is a HP/Doctor Who crossover.

Basically Harry and Ginny about to marry but the night before Ginny met a man who calls himself The Doctor. Cue some dramatic bad guy coming, Ginny agrees to help to Doctor and later going to Tardis with him -Since it is a time machine Ginny agrees only if doctor returns her the day they left.-

Next day Harry in altar but Ginny doesn't show. He starts to search for this Doctor, DoM intercepts him and shows him what they know. Apparently they have been tracking him for years for some reason. They tell him what they know Using that Harry decides he will follow her and starts to build his own Tardis. (using elder wand and Resurrection stone to help) DoM gives him resources to do so. Eventually Harry finishes his job by mixing the muggle technology and Magic. DoM sends one of their agents with him (who will be main romance ) It could be any one from Daphne Greengrass to Hannah About or Susan Bones

Cue Harry going to a adventure across time where he gets into all kins of trouble with all the bad guys of Doctor. Having second thoughts about his relationship with Ginny, Falling in love with his partner, helping those who needs it all the while chasing the Doctor

It would be interesting to watch as Harry builds than uses a ship like Tardis and we know It is possible with HP magic. Like A huge time turner on the middle of the ship, inside is bigger than outside, capable of space flight or faster than light (portkeys anyone) using technology to where magic failed (Like Radios or automated systems)

What do DLP thinks of this?

Edit to below:I wasn't planningto call Harrys ship Tardis.

Also bad guys; Daleks, Master, Syberman, Angels... All of them can kick Harrys ass 7 ways to sunday not to mention original magical enemies wich you could throw around.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  20. Bill Door

While I like the idea I see a couple of problems.

Firstly, the swapping of Amy for Ginny, I think that you should come up with a different method of getting Ginny to go with the doctor, rather than just changing the names.

Secondly, the idea of Harry building his own TARDIS. If he's never seen a TARDIS, the the end result of him making his own time machine will probably be very different. I don't mind him making a time machine, just don't call it a TARDIS.

Finally, and most importantly, I think that it will be very difficult to properly merge the two worlds without Harry being able to use magic to just kick every things ass.

Not open for further replies.