1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect 3 General

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Iztiak, Feb 15, 2012.

1. coleam

coleam Death Eater

That's...depressing. I was planning on replaying it a few times just to see the endings, but now it just seems pointless since they're all nearly identical.

Incidentally, ME3 was one of the shortest single-player games I've played, except for maybe Battlefield 3, but that one was intended as multiplayer from the start. I did nearly every single sidequest (I think I forgot to do one or two before I hit Cerberus) and still finished the entire campaign in under 30 hours (probably closer to 20 - Origin doesn't track playtime like Steam though, so I can't be sure). Compare that to Skyrim, where I'm nowhere near to completing either of the main questlines and I'm at 116 hours. Granted, I have several characters, but of those, 3 are less than level 15 and the fourth is around level 50.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I got about 30 hours out of it. Puts it at about even with the other two.

Comparing it to something like Skyrim seems like an apples/oranges situation.

3. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Almost?

*Eyes dent in drywall where I chucked my xbox controller when I realized all of the endings were all the same bullshit*

Seems pretty tangible to me.

I hope beyond hope that the indoctrination theory is correct, but my inner cynic can't find it within himself to truly believe.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  4. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

'Official Statement'

Not surprisingly it's PR bullshit through and through. My favorite is the links to the articles that haven't panned the ending trying to get their hit count up higher ...

5. LittleBlackGoldfish

LittleBlackGoldfish Third Year

While I understand why people are unhappy with the ending, i'm kind of baffled by the suprise. When you look, really look, at the writing for all three games none of it is exactly great storytelling from a narrative standpoint. For gods' sake the Reapers themselves are a tired cliche and nothing very interesting is done with them; really what possible motivation could they have that wouldn't end up as pure drivelling idiocy? No, I'm sorry but there's no where to go with that story that isn't dumb or that doesn't at least carry very strong possibilities of ending up stupidly.

Frankly, the entire series would have been better served if the big bad had been Saren, or the Shadow Broker, or something more mundane and ultimately your choice was over whether you topple and prop up the Citadel government. Hell you can keep the Reapers as part of the backstory, have the Protheans defeat them and die in the process, and you can keep idoctrination and even the Collectors as left over threats running on orders issued by their unfathomable masters just before they disappeared. After all even a dead reaper was dangerous to the Cereberus scientists living aboard it. Fuck, now I want to play that. I'm sick and tired of video games having ancient secret conspiracies and epic plots that rely on some unknown force. Good ol' politics makes the world plenty interesting already.

Ultimately most video games have this problem; the industry as a whoel hasn't figured out hwo to do narrative within the confines, they're still trying to write like it's a book, or a movie, or a television show, or a pen and paper RPG. How stories are told has to change with the medium, and very few video games have used the strengths of interactive media correctly; and most of those have been indie-ish games. Bastion springs to mind. Journey for the PS3 seems to have done well as well.

6. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

That is honestly the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever seen.

Spoilers ahead:

He doesn't address any of the legitimate concerns about massive plot holes. He says they wanted the ending to be a "resolution to all the countless storylines and decisions you've made", ignoring the fact that the ending is literally the exact same no matter what you've done throughout the games.

Instead of addressing concerns about the end, he just tries to downplay the fan reaction as if they're a minority by saying that a bunch of other people liked it. He must be completely out of touch with his fan base.

He also patronizes those who are annoyed by the ending by making it out as if we're just annoyed we didn't get our "super happy ending where Shepard marries his LI", etc. Most of the people I've seen aren't annoyed by the fact that Shepard dies, but by the massive plot holes, identical endings and the fact that every mass relay blows up, and we don't see any explanation for the massive galaxy changing events this will have.

And instead of promising answers, justification or even changing the ending (though I'm not too sure if that is the best idea) his consolation is that they'll be making DLC. You know, so you can give them more money.

Fuck you, Casey Hudson. No way I'm giving Bioware anymore of my money after this and Dragon Age 2.

7. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So did anybody else catch the King in Yellow reference? I thought It was a funny coincidence until I read the description.

8. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

Yup it's pretty typical PR nonsense. Promote yourself, point to your supporters and acknowledge your detractors while simultaneously marginalizing them.

9. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Well that's just, like, your opinion man.

:facepalm

Well... I think ME3 was a pretty solid game, except for the last fifteen minutes or so. Unlike DA2, which ranged from mediocre to shit throughout. I'd say that it's worth at least a good chunk of the money I paid for it (though I'll note that I only really paid $50 for it instead of $60 due to a promotional thing).

10. LittleBlackGoldfish

LittleBlackGoldfish Third Year

How dare you assert my opinion does not carry the full force of a physical law of the universe as an objective fact, verifiable by empirical observation!

11. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Fatalities description of the game, and the way Casey is (according to him) treating the customers, I'm glad I'm not buying it. I'd rather have an ending for different choices, not all the same. That's just lazy bullshit. How unimaginative can you get? Sheesh.

12. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I got about 25 hours out of my first playthrough, had maybe 6700 EMS. But then again I got 26 hours out of a full ME2 playthrough with every sidequest done, and all DLC but Overlord. I believe that my first 4 ME2 playthroughs were longer, at least by a little.

I think the primary difference is that ME3 is more streamlined, and the sidequests aren't as hard to find. Sure, it's a bit shorter, but not by much. The ending is where ME3 fails.

This amused me.
    (Spoilers)

13. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

The length is not really that much of problem... ME2 was not longer. The difference is that you could play it a few times and expect a different game( sure the differences were mostly minor but getting the perfect ending without help isn´t a thing you normally do in the the first playthrough)

And comparing Skyrim with Mass effect is really of much use.. Too many differences in the goal of the game and the art of telling the story.

14. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

Finished the game today. I loved the game until I reached the ending. Man, what a let down. Everything's been said about it so I won't bore you with a rant.

Something to meditate:
    Marauder shields is the true hero of ME games. he tries to save us from the horrible ending
    :awesome

15. Arbiter

Arbiter Groundskeeper

In honour of Bioware's official statement, I've changed my signature to something significantly more awesome.

The final Boss of ME3 was awesome, though.
    All hail Marauder Shields.

16. draconian139

draconian139 DA Member

The dreams are imteresting if you keep going the opposite way of the kid, particularly dream 2. It goes from a bawling brat to an increasingly angrier and demanding voice calling for you.

17. coleam

coleam Death Eater

That is interesting, and it seems to add support for the indoctrination theory, though it could just be the game trying to make sure you do The Right Thing (TM).

18. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Four years for an ending like that? Seriously disappointed in Bioware, it's basically them telling us: You were always fucked. No matter what.

19. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Is there a video to confirm? I don't have saves near any of the dream sequences.

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff