1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect 3 General

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Iztiak, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

It is unbelievable, but it's their own goddamn fault.

2. draconian139

draconian139 DA Member

Weird, my memory must be faulty about the war assets then. In terms of the points system most of the people in that thread seemed to confirm what the guy said. I'm an xbox user so can't exactly check data files myself and I'd have to replay ME2 to get the 5 from there since none of my playthroughs have them all.

In terms of the extended ending, its what I was afraid of. I'm personally going to avoid it like the plague in favor of my headcanon unless I'm told its REALLY good.

3. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

http://svn.gib.me/builds/masseffect3/

If I had a Rannoch save, I'd try it out but I really cbf to go through the first half of the game just to confirm, tbh.

4. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Got to give Bioware credit where it's due; it took a lot of work on their part to turn their entire fanbase against them so quickly.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

I think EA provided a lot of assistance there.

6. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    EA's business practices certainly incline me to think they're part of the problem, but I think that if it was as simple as EA forcing Bioware to put out crap, there would be some indication of internal conflict between EA and Bioware. Heck, KotOR was one of their most beloved games ever, and Bioware had no issue making it very clear there'd been a huge bitch-fest with Lucasarts over the game.

You'd think that now that their fanbase is starting to turn on them, they'd find a way to subtly shift the blame to EA if that were the case. Most of the Bioware fans would eat up a message of "We still love our fans and want to make good games, but EA won't let us, and is forcing dickish policies on us."

7. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Isn't one of the Bioware founders an executive or VP in EA now? It doesn't seem like there's much separation between the two anymore.

8. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Possibly not; it does seem like all the official statments we've seen on the issue are making a point of calling it "EA's Bioware label," which definitely sends a message about the nature of the relationship between Bioware and EA.

9. draconian139

draconian139 DA Member

10. Jericho

Jericho Sixth Year

I would be surprised if it was initially going to be free.
    The hatred of the day one dlc and the endings should have shown them the increasing discontent with the direction of the company and it being free is hopefully a reaction to that.

Still, with a free multiplayer pack and ending expansion it shows someone is listening to fans - at least to some degree.

11. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Yeah, the folks at EA's Bioware label have to have noticed all the customer goodwill they've been hemorrhaging lately. Giving your customers free stuff is a well-established tactic to make them stop hating you quite so much.

12. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

But... isn't the multiplayer supported by microtransactions? I was under the impression that you could either slowly earn random weapons, or buy them for real cash money. Doesn't affect me either way. I haven't got a legit copy and I almost certainly won't buy one.

13. Chengar Qordath

High Score:
    Yup. To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked if EA's Bioware label tried something like giving the new characters/maps DLC for "free" but then saying all the content had to be unlocked through normal means (either pay them money, or play a lot of multiplayer to get enough points to shoot for the tiny random chance of getting for free). Seems like the kind of boneheaded transparent PR ploy that will inevitably backfire that I've come to expect from EA's Bioware label.

14. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Sort of - you can buy packs with Bioware points, but you earn enough credits in every round that it's not difficult to buy the packs that way. Bronze levels give ~15000 credits, and silver and gold give significantly more. There are three levels of item packs, recruit, veteran, and spectre (the higher end packs give better stuff most of the time), and they cost 5k, 20k, and 60k credits respectively. So there's not much point paying real money for them unless you're really impatient.

Pretty sure that's how they're going to run it, except for the maps. And I don't mind - as I said, it's not terribly difficult to get enough credits via gameplay to unlock the packs..

15. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I actually don't mind either. I'm a pretty big fan of the multiplayer, surprisingly. Guess I'm a sucker for horde mode.

16. LittleBlackGoldfish

LittleBlackGoldfish Third Year

I do hope they eventually add some new game types, though I'm not sure how they could be implemented it would be nice to have some more variety.

17. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Off topic, but I honestly haven't seen you guys actually discuss the game apart from complaining about the ending.(I haven't read the whole thread as I am avoiding spoilers since am not done playing due to my shitty Graphics card frying)

So I am curious as to what you guys think about some of the storylines in the game.
    First and foremost the Genophage, what do you guys think about it, were the salarians and Turians right in doing so, true as Mordin said it would have been easy to simply wipe out the Krogans by completely shutting down reproduction, but is it better to watch thousands of still births?

I don't remember who said this in the game but I remember someone saying that the Krogans who do stay alive tend to develop a superiority complex because they survived birth while in truth they actually just lucky, do you guys agree?

Then theres the Geth and the Quarians, personally I don't know what to think about that, but I am interested to know what you guys think, were the Geths right in rising against and expelling their creators from their homeworld?

18. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Here are my previous posts on the game in this thread, in which I talk about different aspects of the story.
    The ending is discussed in the spoilers, among other things.

Post 1
    Post 2

19. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

We've discussed the game a lot. It's shit. The story has a few shining moments here and there, but for the most part it's forgettable, and the combat moved to chest high wall world.

Genophage. Yes it was right, no, they should've just altered fertility, the stillborn shit... man that's beyond fucked up. If I was the Krogan I'd have piled everyone remaining alive and suicide missoned into the Salarian worlds. There's still over a billion females on their homeworld, and the females are a small amount of the population, even smaller are the ones fertile. That means they have a huge number of males to use as cannon fodder. Low fertility is one thing, carry the kid to term then having it dead when it's pushed out... that's mind fuckery on a flat out wrong level.

The way they resolve this in ME3 is total bullshit as well. I've gotten to the point in the story where I can choose to cure it, or not cure it, and the options in the outcome are bullshit, and nothing even remotely like anything Shepard would pick.
    I havent had to choose yet, but I read I either kill Wrex or Mordin by shooting him in the back

Geth, no they weren't right to expel their creators, but it's the Quarian's own fault.

I also see a lot of humor where it's not needed. The prothean teammate for example. Once you get him, you may as well take him everywhere. He becomes essential because he adds so many extra conversations and backstory info lore wise that you'd miss out on a ton if you didn't. But even then comments about the Salarians like, the frog people who used to lick their eyeballs, and we used to eat their livers as food, is just out of place in what's supposed to be a tense environment.

20. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

You can keep Mordin alive if and only if Wrex is dead in ME1 and Maelon's data is not saved in ME2