1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Innomine, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Torric

Torric Third Year

I'm still playing just because my friends are; but for the most part 1.2 didn't add anything great. Massive waste of time if you ask me to be honest. New WZ and new Operation that's pretty decent but all the other content was trash.

Example for the legacy stuff you can get; neutral GTN on ship that nobody ever uses and those that did only used it to transfer stuff to alts on the opposite faction which you no longer need to do with the legacy system. Other on ship stuff like the target dummies can be found on the fleet. I suppose the ship mailbox could be considered mildly useful but only if you're a GTN player.

Rocket boots which sounded cool if they were like WoW but in reality are the biggest waste of time. Cannot be used in combat and can only be used in places where you can mount. It is essentially the poor man's mount.

Pay 3 mill to cut your Fleet Pass down from 18 hours to 15 hours. Woo hoo.

Spend 8 days worth of Daily Commendations on an Inheritance piece that doesn't level with your toon and you'd probably replace with 2 hours of gameplay. Example that free main hand you get; is lvl14 with static stats. It's essentially a lvl14 epic.

Only things worth talking about this patch is the new war zone and operation. Even then as far as I can tell, they're pretty lacklustre.

For all of Bioware's talk; 1.2 just really doesn't deliver.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. OneSimpleIdea

OneSimpleIdea Second Year

I pretty much came to the same conclusions as everyone else - story was pretty fun, but I had no incentive to play after I'd gotten two characters to level 50. I played a dark sided inquisitor, and a light sided trooper - and then I was finished. I didn't have the motivation to play through the planets all over again, just making different choices. I made a different characters for every class and played through the origin world, but I got bored after those worlds doing the same quests over and over and listening to the same plot lines.

Another issue is that story pacing got a lot slower. After coruscant/dromund kaas and the origin world - you have to complete entire planets just to advance your personal story a little bit. Since after you run through the games on each faction once, you already know the planet story, then there's little incentive to play other than the class story. And with such slow pacing of the class story after level 20, it gets harder and harder to take new classes forward.

Side quests also ended up having little consequence. They ended up sending you a small letter in the mailbox attached with a reward of few credits or an item of little consequence. It didn't matter after that.

Still there were things I definitely liked. I enjoyed the combat motions a lot, even in the beginning it was a lot more fluid than other MMO's and pleasing to watch.

I think their biggest issue was that it felt like a watered down single player game with a few MMO elements like group quests, flash-points, and imbalanced PVP.

Of course, vanilla WoW had a lot of issues and needed plenty of fixing. But I think it also held some sort of inexplicable appeal that kept people playing despite all of its issues. The sad thing about SWTOR is that it was more polished had some innovative storyline mechanics, but after you've finished, it doesn't have that inexplicable appeal to keep playing. And since it's a subscription based model, that means that it can't keep extracting a $15 dollar subscription fee per month to justify access to the game.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

:facepalm

And people thought I was crazy for saying this was a meh version of WoW during its release.

4. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I think people thought you were crazy because you said that with what appeared to be 0 knowledge of WoW.
    Also, I think this is way better than WoW on release. I quit because I didn't have the time to grind for pvp or raiding in the end game.

5. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Meh I honestly think Im done with this, I might come back at some point in the future but at this point I really have nothing left interesting me in this game. I've now finished my Scoundrel and Inquisitor so I know the story of all of the planets on the Empire and Republic sides and I've discovered that I have literally nothing at all left that interests me in this game. I tried a little of the end game and it was just boring. Say what you will about WoW at least the PvP and End Game were entertaining. By putting so much of their attention into the story of a subscription based game and not the actual game part of it Bioware screwed themselves royally.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's kind of sad to see this unanimous verdict, I haven't played the game yet, and I probably still will, just for the story lines, but yeah. I was hoping for at least one MMO to do even half was well as WoW did.

I guess that the biggest thing to look forward to now is Titan, the new Blizz MMO project. Guild Wars just doesn't interest me at all too be honest. :/

7. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

There's no enemy in this game. I think that's the real problem with the end game.

Each class has it's own enemy, and the individual story-lines are awesome, but once you hit 50 and kill/stop whomever the fuck your character needed to kill/stop, there's nothing really left.

In WoW, nearly every dungeon in end game had some connection to the final boss, or a lieutenant of a final boss. You felt like you were working your way up.

Who were the bosses in ToR? Just random bastards from such and such race/planet who decided to screw with the Republic/Empire.

8. Krogan

High Score:
    Another excellent point, I think this could have done fantastic as a single player game but by trying to throw their hat into the MMO ring they wrote themselves into a corner. Even if they continue the individual story lines in expansions there's literally nothing to keep people playing in between release dates and the stories will need to have an end at one point or another. On my Inquisitor I am already Darth Nox of the Dark Council and Lord of the Dead, I'm only going to go up from where I am. Its possible they could write something interesting but its going to get hackneyed and start to reek of an asspull extremely quickly.

9. Gabrinth

Gabrinth Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Can you imagine being Darth Nox of the Sith, one of the few true leaders of the Empire... sent off with a bounty hunter and an Imperial agent to go fight some bloody Trandoshans on planet X? I can't, and that's really the problem. They spent TOO much time making your character feel epic during the story line. By the time you're done, you are the best of the best in the galaxy. That's hard to top with faceless bosses in featureless maps.

10. Krogan

High Score:
    Like I said in theory its possible with great writers but it would get old and stale extremely rapidly.

11. OneSimpleIdea

OneSimpleIdea Second Year

The issue is that the SWTOR universe by and large was well suited towards single-player games. That's why KOTOR 1 (and to a lesser extend KOTOR 2 - though I thought the story writing was much better in KOTOR 2) did so well. Bioware has a sustainability issue trying to transform a game whose main selling point was the story into a subscription based game. Blizzard created a game where you kept coming back because the end game actually felt relevant. That's why their subscription model worked. It doesn't matter how polished the game mechanics of SWTOR were upon release compared to WoW - this sustainability issue with end-game content after the story in SWOTR is a huge problem they need to fix now before the game becomes dead.

12. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A big necro, but the game is free to play now. I'm downloading it and giving it a shot. We'll see how long I can withstand the assault on my psyche as they systematically destroy the KotOR era before my eyes.

13. ketz3r

ketz3r Second Year

Without bank, sprint, revive, chat, respec, quick travel, mounts... good luck with that ;)

14. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm only playing for the story. I'm not much of an MMO player. As long as it's actually possible to play the story without paying real money for something, that's all I need.

15. ketz3r

ketz3r Second Year

I just can't imagine anyone enjoying the game without essential skills/abilities like sprint or quicktravel. You'll die of boredom.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  16. Torric

Torric Third Year

SWTOR is such a mess now. I wanted it to succeed. I really did, but now I'm stuck playing with pandas again.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...I was going to try this on free to play, but my god, I'm not even going to bother if they take out stuff like that.

Fuck 'em.

18. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I reinstalled it just long enough to realize that they gave away my character names, and then I immediately uninstalled it again. Fuck that shit.

19. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

They did this for all accounts? Even the ones that purchased the game?

Wut.

20. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Yup, they gave away all my character names and said I'd have to rename them if I wanted to play them again.

Considering I played early enough to get any names I wanted, like "Bob" or "Mike", and the rest of the characters I'd chosen a name based on their appearance, and without that name, they're fucking stupid. And one of those was my primary character's name.

But yeah, since my only attachment to the game was the characters I had fun with, and they fucked over every single one of my characters, I really didn't have any reason to actually play it again. Really, the name was the most important part, too. Pissed me off.