1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

General League of Legends

Discussion in 'League of Legends' started by Jon, Mar 18, 2010.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

You mean like stream-watchers talking to other players? There's a three minute delay to prevent cheating, otherwise I don't know what you mean by exploitation.

2. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So what you're saying is, your are playing an aggressive support defensively, and when people expect the type of support a defensive support gives, you can't meet their expectations?

In my experience, AD bot players want to play aggressively, but have been trained by other supports just to farm CS. You need to communicate so that the carry is in the right mindset before you start laning. "FYI I play Taric very aggressively. If you work with me we can win lane. And take the game." AD bot is almost an autopilot position, you need to make sure they're engaged in ganking (and have a character that supports that mindset) otherwise you need to play a different support, because Taric isn't all that great defensively. If you never auto to push lane, your heal has a long cd, and is not very strong. You will be outhealed and outlaned in that scenario.

Taric is fundamentally different from supports like Lulu, Sora, Sona, etc. Taric wants to be ganking, and he needs almost no items to do it. Play that way and you may win more. I lose like, 1 in 10 games as Taric, and when I win my carry has over 15 kills.

Truth is at low level play, win bot=win game. Taric will almost always win bot if you have an AD carry with a steroid and a soft CC. At least if you're good.

---------- Post automerged at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

So what you're saying is, your are playing an aggressive support defensively, and when people expect the type of support a defensive support gives, you can't meet their expectations?

In my experience, AD bot players want to play aggressively, but have been trained by other supports just to farm CS. You need to communicate so that the carry is in the right mindset before you start laning. "FYI I play Taric very aggressively. If you work with me we can win lane. And take the game." AD bot is almost an autopilot position, you need to make sure they're engaged in ganking (and have a character that supports that mindset) otherwise you need to play a different support, because Taric isn't all that great defensively. If you never auto to push lane, your heal has a long cd, and is not very strong. You will be outhealed and outlaned in that scenario.

Taric is fundamentally different from supports like Lulu, Sora, Sona, etc. Taric wants to be ganking, and he needs almost no items to do it. Play that way and you may win more. I lose like, 1 in 10 games as Taric, and when I win my carry has over 15 kills.

Truth is at low level play, win bot=win game. Taric will almost always win bot if you have an AD carry with a steroid and a soft CC. At least if you're as good as your opposite is.

3. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

And that, ladies and gentlmen, is why Blitzcrank, Nautilus, and Leona are amazing bottom supports.

Who cares if your AD carry is bad if they're fed to all hell. They can now go 1v2 and you won't have to worry much at all. Leave lane and proceed to help your other allies roll their enemies.

4. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

I agree, although your build is something I slightly disagree with. There is no point in getting the Kage's Lucky Pick if you are going for an aggressive lane/ roaming. While Gp/10 are great, people tend to overestimate the amount of gold they REALLY give. I'm all for grabbing Philo stone and Heart of Gold, especially since they build into great support items, but with the gold you spent getting Kage's, I find that (for Taric at least) he might as well get his early boots (for roaming, if you want to), and even Oracles. If you kill 3 wards, (not hard to do at bot), then the cost is basically covered already.

The only supports I feel can make good use of Kage's Lucky Pick are those farm all day at bottom lane supports (Sona, Soraka, maybe Lulu) and enjoys extra free ap poke.

Edit: I was just looking at heal, and Heal is now worse than it was pre-buff a while back, until you get to level 9. After that, it becomes slightly better (5 more per level). This is not counting the new masteries, lower cooldown vs more heal, but heal sucks now :S

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  5. redshell

redshell Order Member

So I've noticed that 5g/10 is listed as a unique passive. Let's say I have HoG and philo, does only one of them generate the gold?

6. Evan Tide

Philo + Philo = No good
    HoG + HoG = No good
    Philo + HoG = Good to Go.

7. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Both generate it, but you can only get the effect from one of each. No stacking philos or hogs.

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

You used to be able to. That made for some amusing builds.

I still miss Sunfire stacking more though.

9. Evan Tide

HoG stacking when it gave Armor + HP.

Immortal tops FTW.

10. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Tryndamere with 5 Avarice Blades, selling them one by one as he gets his build o,0 That was gold efficient :p

11. Evan Tide

So I just lost a game because somehow, a retarded Ahri and Morde managed to feed Vlad and Kayle a combined total of 8 kills inside 10 minutes.

I literally could not gank either lane without one of them dieing or Kayle/Vlad halfing my HP. It was retarded beyond belief and they started bitching about me not helping when they were dieing from lvl 2 on when I ganked each lane 3+ times, with them dieing every time because of retarded dives on their part or them sticking around at 25% HP.

12. A Curious Stranger

A Curious Stranger Second Year

Doing it as Gangplank was even more fun. Oh, and for the days when HoG gave armor. Amumu was unstoppable.

13. Evan Tide

Can't forget that Randuin's used to give like +90 armor, +350 HP, and +15% CDR. Literally outpaced Fheart so hard, it was hilarious.

14. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Just a quick question regarding holding position or something similar to it. Been watching streams & some pro-level tournaments (notably the OGN Quarters & now Semis in Korea) and several time I've noticed champions, both melee and ranged just standing their near minions without attacking at all. If I just stand there my champion automatically auto-attacks the nearest minion - Is there a key you press to basically stand still without doing anything? I've had a quick look over the forums but can't find anything.

15. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Nothing quite like getting two 4v5's in a row... And winning both anyway.

Probably more to do with how horrible my opponents were than anything else, but going 23/4/19 and 16/2/8 and winning when a teammate left at level one is still mildly satisfying.

16. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yes, 's'. /tenchar

Could be a laggy stream too, but I'm pretty sure 's' for stop and 'h' for hold position work the same way; feel free to check the key bindings under options. It's more than likely a holdover from DotA which had the Warcraft 3 interface. The UI is not explicitly there even though the same buttons work, which bugged the hell out of me when I first started playing.

17. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

if I remember correctly, s -key is for stop all actions. So keep it down when you don't want autoattacks?: Shouldn't leave threads open :(

BTW, so sad Varus didn't come out this week. Really looking forward to something new in the Ad carry role :(

18. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

Spectator mode is so slick, it's worth not having the naked archer for another week.

19. Rayndeon

Rayndeon Professor

You can still exploit buff timers however. For instance, if a friend watches red die at the 13:00 mark, he can inform you it will respawn by 18:00. With the 3 minute delay, you have up to 2 minutes to prepare for that buff. The same applies for dragon and baron. Of course, you could already do this with streams, so it is unlikely this will be a larger problem with spectator mode out.

20. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I start with boots, ward, and a health pot. If you have enough of it, the gp/second really add up. Even with only 5 assists, i'm generally gold even with the jungle in terms of gold. Taric barely, if at all needs items beyond the core of golds plus boots. If you can get the +520 hp, that's cool, but a luxury. I've won a lot of games without even upgrading my gold/second items. I do think, though, the kage is necessary. It's pretty cheap, and a little extra AP doesn't hurt. Post-patch, it can also turn into a utility item (free nuke, or heal reduction) which is an enermous benefit. But honestly, even if it was useless, I would take it anyway. Masteries+Quints+3 items means I always have money for wards and oracles when I want them.

Here's some dirty math. With the three items and my masteries/quints, I make 20 gold every 10 seconds. Or about 2 gold a second. Say that I get all three of them together by 15 minutes in, at the cost of not having boots2. Every minute afterwards, I make 120 gold. This pays for boots 2 in like, 8 minutes, assuming I don't get any assists/kills/creeps. 23 minute boots may matter a lot in competitive play, but where I am playing at the moment, that's okay for a support. After that, I get a free ward+change every minute, or a little less than a pink ward every minute. Effectively, I could dominate the map with ward control if I had the skill. As it is, i place a few wards and save up the gold, then if the tide shifts, I upgrade all the gp items into their upgraded form and force the opponent to adapt to a whole different team battle dynamic.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
Not open for further replies.