1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLPhunt2 - Signups/Teaser/Feedbackeating

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by Lungs, May 3, 2012.

1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If no one objects, I'm renaming the Vesvius to the jwlk and the current jwlk to the Uncle.

SmileoftheKill to Eidolonic

Actually, let's make this the Listpost.

1. Vesvius to jwlk
    2. jwlk to Uncle
    3. Smile to Eidolonic

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

I object, you fucker.

3. Lungs

High Score:
    Sort of like how Fiat objected? :3

4. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

The Stoljili

5. Uncle Stojil

Uncle Stojil Auror

Did he object by sticking a pole up your ass?

This I could get behind. I don't know that guy.

6. Lungs

High Score:
    lolno. Go ask him at some point ;P

7. jwlk

jwlk Seventh Year

Stojil we all know you aspire to be me, and are honored. Drop the act and accept the name change!

Also, I think you should rework some of the roles, just to change stuff up. Although I haven't read the first post, so maybe I should do that first.

8. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

First game not irl. Honestly surprised I made the list.

9. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

Double post... smooth, Sacro, smooth.

10. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

i'll play if it's a 3 faction game

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, I'm dead in Star Wars mafia so count me a definite IN!

12. Lungs

High Score:
    @Kai: I'm assuming that I'll be taking the more conservative option and removing the King faction tbh, because it just adds a sort of variable that we didn't really have in DLPhunt1 - why fuck with what works, after all.

While it might seem unfun on paper, there are a bunch of reasons that would have been a bad role:

Continuous roleblock stacking is only the beginning - the role, when it was created, was thought necessary to check the most powerful of abilities (the dualhit psychiatrist, the jailer, and especially to moot the strength of the Ashaya) - the ultimate lack of performance from that role was probably a good thing to be entirely honest.

I suppose that the queries and feedbackeating in the OP was assumed in a world in which the Jon did not exist as a role - because those were issues I found after modding a game in which he was killed n1.

tbh, I think making this three faction is probably the best way forward after all, because otherwise, I'll be running sims which is imperfect compared to actually running games.

Removing it means that there isnt' a wild card with a selective hit on certain people who will be vanillized after 2 nights due to judgment either good or bad.

In its place, I might add another townie to up the difficulty for scum - in the current balance, theoretically, at least, Hermonie is easiest to play (a middling difficulty compared to the relative difficulty of playing Town in a game in which some of the greatest tools - RR, 100% perfect priestchecks, 100% protown psychiatrist hits - are lost.

With the current playerlist, I think DLPhunt2 will be everything that I wished DLPhunt was: a game that's both dynamic in quality and convoluted in thought process that would require smart thinking and epic decisionmaking from the majority of players that can put their faction ahead.

Of course, my perspective is that of a game mod and a PO player's - in which singular choices by singular members of your team can make or break the game for you, while still maintaining a sort of holistic perspective that can benefit both your faction and your own play.

So in this vein, the point of making an epic DLPhunt is to a) make sure people have fun in the short run (actually playing) b) improving the quality of DLP mafia in general c) helping me understand how people play so I can continue to improve the quality of the games I create.

I'm sort of prepared to defend each role choice that I made in this perspective including some of the more spotty ones (like the dualhitpsychiatrist) -

1. the breakup of the priest into two roles - the Lungs and the Zeit, both of which consist of some variance: this is to take the burden of celibacy (eheheh) off of just one randomly chosen guy and to stop high variance first night hits from ruining the town game. Sure, this ends up diversifying the knowledge in a possibly -ev way for town, but the net result is that it brings stability to the town.

2. this is further helped along by the third member of this "core" breakup - Lutris: if town is really messing up, this allows for a last ditch attempt to hit one of the five members of scum (a smart Lutris would be an almost guaranteed check, a weak lutris will still have a huge chance of doing well) at the price of feeding the Ex-Mod faction.

3. Of course, this would be much less of a worthy sacrifice if not for the MattSilver being pulled down with him - I'm giving them masonry because a well played Lutris can use him to diffuse info to the town, and since Matt can eat a kill at night, sittingtownspearhead Matt can spearhead lynches while eating an NK - a figure for the town to rally around in a time of need.

3. Of course, this makes the Ex-Mod faction just a bit too strong, so I ended up including the OTP from Palindrome - letting two randoms diffuse knowledge production by the Ex-Mod faction. By doing so, I can guarantee that the MattSilver doesn't end up turtling like a little bitch so he doesn't get splat by the oblat. As long as the OTP lives, there is this concept of false-security when it comes to the MattSilver. He will probably not be targeted by smart Hermonies due to the fact that they do know who the OTP is and they really, really don't want to feed the Ex-Mods.

4. This is where the Mishie comes in. He functions as an arm of independent analysis that has little to no knowledge of the innies (masons and scum and OTP) of the game, but he can still make good choices in the thread to ensure that he can function as a countervoice to scum since he does have protection. Of course, depending on how he's played, he can end up helping or hurting town alot - a derpy mishie can spell deadlock in later days, and ultimately feed the Ex-Mods. A not-so-derpy mishie can have an in-thread truce with the towniest town MattSilver and end up spearheading lynches alongside him that will drive home a town victory.

5. Derp Mishie is checked by Judge Klackerz - in the event of real deadlocks, a well played Klackerz can offer perspective to a town mired in conspiracy theories among all the buddying that already exists and hit scum. In the event of a derpy Klackerz who has to decide lynches, it's probably an uberderpy town to begin with and mod tears his hair out and thinks that town probably deserves to lose anyway.

6. Of course, this means that some sort of stopgap measure is needed for the town to truly understand opinions with these RRs - this is why the Asylum exists. The purpose of the Asylum is twofold - to make sure that town is on the right track (by another independent analyzer - the Irene, and by someone who is very, very town-decision'd - the Mayor); having an Asylum allows scum some breathing space as well; forcing this dual night means that they can have a good idea of town's general intentions before they perform their kills.

7. the Moridin is the arm of the town when it comes to asylum and functions as a secondary vig, while the Kens is a sort of priest figure as well; the increase of individual information is really important in a game with an oblat, because the ability for a thread-based game to truly exist depends on very, very experienced, obfuscating statements that different people will interpret in different ways.

8. And this comes to the dual-hit psychiatrist. the jwlk is also a stopgap measure; while the psychiatrist exists as a super +town person, it keeps scum from really leading town around by the noses - town powers at the moment can be compared to a guided missile, controlled by a whole group of people to target specific personages. As long as the dualhit pysch exists, it becomes very, very difficult for the town to make impossibly bad decisions and increases the legitimacy of a stalling-strategy for the town. While the psychiatrist exists, he is the poison which the priest should have been and would have been in a game with no oblat. In a sense, he is the last member of this priest "core" which I've broken up.

9. But then, where does that leave scum? You have a hyperpowered town that's very difficult to lead around if played intelligently (oh god, DLPhunt, why, just why lol); this means that an ability like that of Ashaya's is warranted. Vote control means that if town doesn't start playing well, doesn't start showing us what they've got, turns the voting to hit certain members that scum needs to desperately nuke. I suppose at this point, the biggest mystery is why I don't just allow them to control votes starting from X day - the answer is because of the interaction between the two scum factions. While I really do want to make the game more difficult for oblat (in most games, a single well thought out list of roles means gg), I dont' want to make it too difficult. I still want scum to try to drive the town - to increase participation and to make them think long term about dangerous combatants.

10. And then, finally, we come to the people I put in for balance. KaiDASH exists to give someone an all-or-nothing protection; as long as he plays like generic town, getting targeted is not easily within the realm of possibility; it encourages smart and non-lurkerly play from him (which wasn't exactly the case in DLPhunt1). There's the Fenraellis, the badlynchstacking vig who can end up hitting Thrall or any members of the Hermonies if he's good enough... And then there's the Castiel. While he's mostly a joke role, if he has a good idea of wtf is going on, he can claim Castiel and function as yet another tank'd up character.

11. In DLPhunt1, the Demon Mayor existed to slow whittle away at town powers, but I realize at this point that it's not super necessary. He's only an arm of scum, tbh, and it's nearly impossible for him to win. And in the extreme situations in which he does win, it becomes super unfun for everyone else, so I suppose he'll be gone.

tl;fucking;dr: I am super sold on the idea of removing some elements, and I super want the opinion of both players who are inexperienced and experienced to tell me what's wrong with this picture I've painted.

13. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

problem detected: a game about mechanics rather than a game about people

14. Lungs

High Score:
    >assuming this is retroactively justified

Nah, Kai. The point of all of that was to find stuff that people would find fun, and then working it into a game structure. Also, this tl;dr represents just a small (well, a bit more than small) percentage of the thought that actually went into this game.

It was more like "what do people like?" OBLAT. "what would be a cool thing?" ASYLUM FROM GOTHAM THAT ACTUALLY WORKED. etc.

15. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Wut? I'm playing, but don't know how I have a reserved spot. Y u selling my spot to Mishie brah?

EDIT: Oh. Just figured it out. Well, thanks for that Mishie.

I do want to be in.

16. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Would it be possible to get obs of some sort? I'd like to see how this goes.

17. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Obs please :D

18. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Z, that sig is probably a little too big... but it still makes me laugh.

I was so, so, so drunk.

19. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    considering my sig was too long when doublespaced? fuck yes.

still amazing Eido :)

20. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

In, when it happens, I suppose