1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, well, I went to a ghetto public school of 3000.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Bill, didn't your school have 'that guy', the one who was more than a bit socially awkward? Mine had a few, and they got more than a bit of mockery during their schooling. One fella had something stick with him for years, and there were a few who didn't mind reminding him of it given half a chance.

3. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Slut-shaming is a bad example, and is pretty case by case. I'd say it's quite likely that Harry was "forgiven" for most offenses and he got over it. Look at the DA, at one point or another most of them were "against" Harry but they all got over it after a while.

4. Benzene

Benzene Muggle

Definitely varies based on school size. I attended both a small high school and a large high school for two years each. In a small school, you don't really see much public hate going on because most people in the class have known each other for years and years. But in a large school it's different; there's less interaction and thus more hating on kids you don't know.

5. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

There were a few who were a bit socially awkward, but no one who ever really suffered for it.

6. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Man... I wish I'd gone to your school. I wasn't involved with much bullying / public shaming as I was captain of Varsity soccer... but I still saw it taking place. It was pretty fucking awful actually.

7. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

Same at my school. Even the ones I admit shunning occasionally had their own peer-groups.

Besides, I really can't think of Harry being 'that guy'. Neville, perhaps, or Luna, but not Harry. As said before, Harry was the rich, famous athlete. You know, like the guy who had a huge following of friends or minions at your school? And in no social setting does the popular guy become an outcast overnight. It just doesn't work like that (except maybe in a revolution, but that's a different story).

Sure, Harry could be a bit awkward with people, but his other qualities would have far outweighed that. Hell, even the adults tried to suck up on him in PoA and GoF (Fudge and Bagman).

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I think we can also attribute Harry's slide from popularity to the fact that he was a celebrity. When a celebrity supposedly does something awful, the resulting backlash and negative gossip is far more extreme than for a normal person. The bigger they are, the harder they fall and whatnot.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

... Yeah, I'd say every class (or at least year) has that one outsider. But that's not Harry, true. It was Hermione in First Year, and Luna later on (taking away stuff and hiding it? That's like the 101 for everyday-bullying of people no one wants to associate with).

So yes, it makes no sense for the entire school to turn on Harry -- but it didn't, either? Which scene are we talking about, specifically? GoF certainly not. CoS would be more likely, but that were pretty unique circumstances and we are never told specifically that the entire school turns on him, just that there's muttering and pointing in the corridors.

10. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

In Philosopher's Stone when the entirety of Gryffindor, bar Ron and Hermione, shunned him for losing shitloads of points.

11. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

I was thinking mostly of GoF, and the difference between passive resentment and open animosity. It's one thing to resent or hate someone, and completely different animal to openly declare that hate by carrying badges that say "Potter stinks". Harry probably wouldn't have even noticed anything if the Hufflepuffs would have done what normal people do in that kind of situation: grumble between friends in privacy.

The kind of open hostility shown in GoF is exactly what happens to "that guy" (and from the more cruel end of bullying at that), and we already established that Harry isn't or shouldn't be one.

T3t
  12. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

I had the exact opposite experience as him in a large high school (~3500 people). There wasn't really anyone well known by their entire grade, much less the entire school. Even in senior year I was getting to know classmates who I'd never met before that year and had friends I'd never met, who had never met any of my friends. I could name under half the people that graduated with me, and neither of the people sitting next to me at graduation had even heard of the valedictorian. There were plenty of horribly socially awkward people, but they just hung out with the other socially awkward people with similar interests, and it was not uncommon for people people who were rejected by one social circle to transition between a few social groups until they found another one they fit in to.

You can't really generalize and say "small schools are like X, large schools are like Y."

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

@arkkitehti:

Uh, but that was pretty much a House thing. The Hufflepuffs were miffed that yet again, they didn't get the spotlight. That's an understandable reaction, IMO. Just like the reaction of Gryffindor, who celebrated Harry after he was chosen. So you don't even have a situation where Harry is a complete outcast (and in fact, all FF here that changed it to one have been criticised for exactly that because it's just not realistic) for one, and then Harry's popularity of course always depended on the House -- he never was popular in Slytherin, for example.

True. And that example fits much better, but I always thought that this was realistic -- I mean, what would you do if some noob lost you a fuckton of points in a competition? And the extent of the reaction really is explained by Harry's fame (BWL + new star Seeker of Hogwarts etc.); it's going from one extreme to the other, as the book itself notes. I rather liked this as an example of how fickle fame can be.

--------

Something else. While I looked up the scene in GoF, I found this:

Wut?

Leaving aside that this is a really unlikely thing to happen, I totally didn't remember that -- so apparently, spells can collide. This makes sense in the context of the spells being the light and offers a foundation for how they can bounce off walls and link (Prior Incantatem), but I wonder if it's the same for all spells.

E.g. if two Killing Curses collided, would the result be, let's say, a spectacular explosion? ;)
    And this has totally not anything to do with me just envisioning a duelling scene Matrix-style.

14. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

At 7th book Stunning Spell collides with Killing Curse and apparently looks like fireworks.

15. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Not exactly a fanon question, but it fits the title so;

How many of the members of DLP have original published works out there? I was talking to a fellow HP fan and Fifty Shades of Grey came up and spawned this little thought. I know that Joe has (at least) some short stories and that jbern has some works out there.

16. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Joe just recently published his first novel, so go pick it up.

Every DLP author that's been published in jbern's anthologies counts, I guess.

17. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think the difference between the example of Harry being shunned in PS and his following problems in CoS, GoF and OotP is that in PS he deserved it. The rest of the house were perfectly justified in being angry at him, and it was only natural.

18. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Could you please elaborate on that point?

Ah, nevermind that, sorry.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  19. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

Magic screws up electronics, that's not disputed. My question is, does it mess up other technology, say something that's chemical based?

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I took the book explanation of technology not working at Hogwarts to mean that magic interferes with circuitry, not electric charge per se. If it interfered with electric charge, matter itself would deteriorate.

No circuitry and you're probably in the clear. Steam engines should work.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
Not open for further replies.