1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official Funny Pics Part 3

Discussion in 'The Humor Mill' started by Oz, Feb 18, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think flatulence relieves muscle stress. But I'm not a doctor so... *shrug*

2. shithappens23

shithappens23 First Year

Better out than in, amirite?

3. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

Your username is pretty disturbing in this context.

4. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

[​IMG]

5. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

7. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, this is so true. Of the last four jobs I've had, three of them were because I knew someone there [for the other job, they desperately needed my skillset] My current job was quite literally because of "my brother's friend".

8. wolve

wolve First Year

Do the people in the US actually care about GPA? I mean most of the universities there are practically degree factories as far as I can see.

Where I live we have failure rate on courses of about 25% on average and maybe 5% get the equivalent of an A unless the course is really easy. Of course our education is free so our professors are under no pressure to pass us or give us inflated grades for our university fees... And no employer gives a shit about your GPA except if it's too high, then it's a sign that there is probably something mentally wrong with the person and he/she won't be able to work in practical environment but would probably do ok locked in some closet developing algorithms with no social contact.

9. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

:facepalm And I thought Americans were supposed to be the ignorant and arrogant ones. GPA does indeed matter at most US universities, and if "as far as you can see" most US universities are degree factories then you need your vision checked.

The US is home to a huge number of extremely well respected universities, where the students have to work very hard to graduate in good standing. Also, if an employer makes the jump in logic that a high GPA means the person is mentally wrong then I don't think they will be hiring anyone for very long.

Obligatory funny picture:

[​IMG]

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

My college didn't care about my SAT scores, and my employer didn't care about my GPA, so nope, not really.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Your SAT/ACT will determine which schools you can get into, may qualify you for a scholarship (or disqualify you), and sometimes suggest that you might need a remedial course, but after that no one much cares.

GRE might be a factor in which graduate schools you can get into, but after you're in... again, no one cares.

If your GPA is too low you may be on Academic probation, but other than that I haven't seen it matter too much. It is something to put on a resume but I have little reason to believe it's a deciding factor in job acquirement. It may have an impact on getting into Graduate School. At my graduate school you were required to make at least a "B" in every class within your major.

We do have jokes down here about driving through a college campus, rolling the window down, and having someone toss a degree inside the car. Getting a degree might not be very easy from the standpoint of paying for it, finding the time, etc. But in terms of coursework I think our Education system has indeed been dumbed down a bit too much.

12. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

Depends on where you go to school and where you apply from. If the employer/graduate school has experience hiring from your place of education then no, GPA and test scores matter less, but otherwise they matter quite a bit.

Especially true for people just out of school with little experience.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  13. Portus

Portus Heir

Well shit. I had a huge post almost all typed up and then BAM.

Anyway, I'll happily continue this thread derail, so here's my two cents.

My experience is different than most since I went to college after a stint in the military because (a) I was a lazy, immature shit in high school and (b) I had zero money and never heard of things like student loans. Yeah, I grew up in a dead-end little backwater which I am infinitely grateful to be out of. I spent my time in the Navy growing up and deciding I might want to help the environment, so in that last year of service I took the SAT and applied to colleges. I was accepted by every one I sent an application to, though that didn't seem odd to me. I was a decorated veteran, an adult serious about school, and I could afford to pay for it - why in the world would any school turn that down?!?

Sure, I didn't apply to Oxford or Cornell, but I didn't exactly send a crayon drawing to DeVry, either. I settled on a school and went on to graduate with honors, though only just. I firmly believe that my GPA was a big selling point in the first couple jobs I landed, though I'd be lying if I said the military service wasn't also a big help. Now, I still keep my school facts on my resume and a small blurb about the military highlights, but the bulk of a two-page resume covers details of projects I've completed or just worked on that someone in my field would recognize and understand.

In my work (civil engineering), prospective employers who do their homework will check your background and references, make some calls and ask some questions about you if you come looking for a job. I know that if I were interviewing a fresh grad whose GPA was less than, say, 3.0-3.3, I'd be asking some pointed questions about his/her work ethic and where his/her priorities lay while in school. Every case is different and a person who had to foot the whole bill for school while juggling a job and studies, or a full-ride scholarship athlete is going to get more leeway from me than a kid who had no job and no stress but still pulled a 2.5 in his major.

That said, I know more than a few guys whose college grades were atrocious but I'd hire them in a heartbeat because they get shit done. One of my best friends from then and now had awful test scores but is the kind of person that if he tells you he'll get something done, by god it will be done and it will have been done correctly. I've heard it called "stick-with-it-ness" but it's also called work ethic and taking pride in what you do.

That's enough soap-boxing. I think GPA matters a hell of a lot, especially when you've got no experience in your field on which to hang your hat. In a lot of ways, you don't start learning your trade until *after* you have that degree, or at least that's been the case for me. When I've asked older guys about that and what they think needs to be changed about our field's college curriculum, one of the answers has always been that they see that engineering degree as a sort of proof that that new grad has the ability to learn, so that they can then trust that new kid to learn the way their company does business and design.

14. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

15. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Ahhh, no one wanted to see that follow up. That's gross.

Edit: Oh and GPA does matter a hell of a lot. Even if your degree is completely unrelated, it basically shows that hey, this person is willing to put in the effort ad that's useful in every job.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  16. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

What? Of course we want to see if any valiant slugs had made it!

17. NobelFiction

NobelFiction Seventh Year

18. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

19. Sferics

Sferics Second Year

[​IMG]

Wish I had timing as great as this photographer.

20. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

[​IMG]

Somewhat related to earlier picture.

Not open for further replies.