1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Zeitgeist, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

RUFIOOOO!

;___;

2. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

This. The voice sounded waaay too young for the character's appearance. It was noticeable enough that it kind of ruined the end scene for me.

3. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

Well, Jinora, Tenzin's eldest daughter, is ten which is only two years younger than Aang was at the start of the first series. Also, remember that the Tenzin Gyatso (the monk who was like Aang's father) was able to take on like a hundred firebenders during Sozin's comet, so its not exactly a stretch that 3 airbender kids are completely badass.

Also:

Lin could really have used Skysword and Boomerang today

4. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Episode was full of win and I hope
    Lin learns the Equalists style of fighting so she can kick them in the face a few times
    I thought you guys were exaggerating the voice of the General but then I heard it and I was like 'This dudes balls haven't dropped and hes a general?'.

Seriously off putting.

5. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

So like, interesting take on Amon's bending-takeyawayey thingy.

For people who don't like tumblr:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now, let's apply that to the context of Amon's abilities...

[​IMG]

Anyway, speculation on my part from here on out. Maybe everybody's a bender or at least has some extent of latent bending capability and... it just has to do with if your sixth chakra is open or not?

Genetics determines what type of bending talent you might be capable of - you can't get a firebender child from a line of airbenders, unless there was a firebender somewhere in the ancestry somewhere. Or something like that.

Then something to do with the energy in your body - if your energy is aligned properly, you'll be able to access your bending. So if your energy isn't aligned... you can't bend. So, this is the 'illusion of separation' - benders and non-benders are one and the same, and that the conflict of Korra between those with abilities and those without is just an illusion, one that Amon is eager to perpetuate.

So what Amon is doing could be him 'closing' the sixth chakra of benders to render them in the exact same state that non-benders are in, energy wise. It's not flowing. The jujubeans aren't making mojo because they can't roll. If this is the case, it sets up a delightful plot arc in which Korra gets her bending taken away (the sequence has been in a trailer or two), and has to figure out how to get it back - and the answer could lie in realigning her energy, and opening her chakras one by one, just like Aang did to master the Avatar State.

Or something like that.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If that's the case could there be a way to make non-benders into benders?

I don't like that idea.

7. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am cool with this, it makes sense.

8. Lutris

Not without substantial training, I don't think. And we do see a huge variety of talent in terms of bending anyway. Building on my earlier post, I'd compare bending to musical talent.

Everybody has SOME degree of musical talent. It could be utterly abysmal (hello tonedeaf or rhythm-insensitive people), or it could be at a virtuoso level of talent from the getgo, or anywhere in between. But people who are too scared of expressing themselves or are uncomfortable with performing wouldn't be able to play music, even if they might have had the talent for it, just as people with horrible musical skills can be extremely expressive and emotive. And then there's the matter of the musicians having had training or not.

So, in this analogy, musical talent is bending talent, actual musical ability would equate to actual bending ability, training is training, and the ability to express or perform would be analogous to the chakra being open or not.

Shitty analogy is shitty, but I think it gets the point across.

9. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

My memory of those episodes is kind of hazy, but if I recall correctly, Aang was training with the guru to open those very chakras.
    http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/The_Guru
    So they were closed and he was still bending. Now the analogy used in the episode was that the chakras were like 7 pools of water, and the 'blocks' were like algae that slowed the flow of energy between them.

You could take this to mean that chakras start out semi-blocked, and can be unlocked or blocked out entirely. However, in the same episode, Aang blocks the 7th chakra (located at the crown of the head, btw), preventing him from accessing the avatar state. When he left the area, he had gained no significant power boost nor did he become any better at bending with 6 chakras completely unlocked. He also didn't lose his ability to bend with the 7th entirely blocked.. So from what we know about the chakras from that episode, I think it's a safer assumption to say that they don't affect bending.

But they could just retcon that.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  10. Lutris

It was fun to speculate though! :>

11. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

At the very least this thread has inspired me to watch the original series again, which I have on a hard drive somewhere...

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Holy shit. I just made the connection that Zuko's voice actor is Rufio. Wtf. Hook is one of my childhood favorite movies, I can't believe I didn't recognize his voice.

I really, really want to see Korra in the Avatar state. If she doesn't do it in the finale I will very sad.

13. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Admiral Zhao is Lucius Malfoy.
    Ozai is Luke Skywalker
    Sozin is Hellboy

Did I just blow your fucking mind?

14. Kang

Wat. Da. Fuq?

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Jason Isaacs
    Mark Hamill
    Ron Perlman

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Mark Hamill voiced someone in Avatar?

17. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
  18. Kang

I was merely stating my incredulity, Mr Khan.

19. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Mind = blown. Never would have guessed Mark Hamill for Ozai's voice actor.

20. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

I think you're getting the seventh and sixth chakras confused. The sixth deals with illusion as lutris's gif says and its entirely viable that this chakra is the one that's blocked when someone's bending is taken away by Amon.

But the seventh chakra, which is above the sixth, deals with a person connection to the wider, spiritual cosmos and their understanding of their place in the world. This is why Aang couldn't slip into the avatar state when this chakra was blocked because he didn't fully comprehend that he is not wholly "human" or of this earth. He is essentially a demigod and he needed to accept that he can't fully involve himself in the world like a real human. This is what was stopping him from going all kung-fu action glowy-eyed Jebus whenever the fuck he wanted.

The situation is the same with the sixth chakra. If Amon is blocking the chi flow from the sixth chakra to the ones below he is essentially breaking the connection between a persons awareness and their own body, disabling their ability to visualize, control and guide the energy within their body, which is the very basis of all kinds of bending.