1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

teh mayzin pider-mann!

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Skykes, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Portus

Portus Heir

Classy. You kiss your mom Taure with that mouth?

2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

See sig. Somehow I doubt he protests too much. :sherlock:

3. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

I can see them hoping that the movie is successful enough to warrant a sequel where the Uncle Ben/Great Power story can be told. They were probably worried people would bitch about the movie being a re-hash of the 2002 Spiderman, only in High-school.

So they go with a story-line that hasn't been explored before, isn't well known outside of the fandom, and that the fandom won't bitch to much about when changes are made from the comic because in all honesty the comic story-line is one of the biggest clusterWTF's in Spidermans history. But not the biggest...

4. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Seriously looking forward to this. I dunno if it was stated, but does this pick up after he's already discovered his powers? From the scene's with, who I assume is, Flash Thomson it looks like it's the very beginning.

EDIT: Just saw the other trailers, It is from the very beginning.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Quick question, where did Peter parker learn to fight?

Of all the super heroes I have watched I think he is the only one I haven't seen training or being trained to fight.

Is his fighting ability explained in the comics?

6. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

He's super strong, super fast, and has the ability to detect danger ahead of time.

What makes you think he needs to know how to fight? It's like asking how Superman knows how to fight.

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Recently he learned 'the Way of the Spider' kung-fu, while his spider sense was gone. Before that he didn't have any training and heavily depended on his extra sense to avoid being hit and the rest he learned by the experience.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Most of it is improvised and heavily based on his spider-sense and other powers. I think he got some formal fighting skills from Captain America at some point in the comics, once he started getting more involved with the Avengers, but I don't know where I picked that up to be honest.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Spend years fighting thugs and an endless supply of supervillains, you'll learn how to throw a punch.

10. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Bit off topic, but relevant to the question, was that Spiderman was considered one of the hardest opponents to fight hand to hand because his fighting style isn't fixed (ala Cap's) and because it's a mix of his athleticism, spider sense, and experience.

11. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

If we go by the original comics, most of his fighting skills were parsed from having super-strength and speed, plus the spider sense, coupled with his first job as a wrestler in his costume.

But about this movie... every trailer I've seen makes me wince horribly. The CGI, particularly for the Lizard, looks really bad - I've seen better in the Resident Evil movies. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are good casting, but I just don't like the painfully high school vibe that I get from this film, and while I do like that Spider-Man is actually cracking jokes and being a smart-ass, it still doesn't feel 'Spider-Man' enough to me, if that makes any sense.

But granted, this is coming from a guy who's never liked Spider-Man all that much, even in the comics, and I wasn't the biggest fan of the movies either. Maybe it's just that I like DC comics more than Marvel, but I look at the Spider-Man movies and I see either missed opportunities and squandered potential. And from the trailers I've seen, this doesn't change matters. It seems like they're pulling most of the origin from the Ultimate Marvel continuity (and I really don't like the Ultimate universe, on a side note), and while I will admit that certain things look promising (namely Spidey with mechanical webshooters), I just don't have high hopes for this. It still looks slapdash, rushed, and more than a little cheap, but I've been wrong before.

12. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

It looks rushed because it probably is rushed.

Sony doesn't want to lose the rights to Spiderman, but after the fallout of #3 and losing Sam Rami they had to make a choice between losing the franchise or rushing out another film with a new cast and new director. It's the same reasoning behind the Wolverine movie, and we all remember how bad that was.

That being said, it doesn't look like this will be that bad. We know Garfield and Stone can act their asses off, and I can always forgive shoddy CGI if the characters in the movie make me give a damn about them. That they decided to go back to high-school kind of irks me, but the inclusion of mechanical web-shooters and what looks like a smart-ass Spiderman badmouthing his opponents in the middle of a fight makes me a very happy fanboy.

13. Yeagen

Yeagen First Year

I have always loved Spider-Man and he has always been my favorite comic book superhero. Although I do admit I'm not current on the comic book storyline, I used to watch the shows religiously as a kid and read quite a bit of the comic book anthologies. Somewhere, I still have the comic where he gets the alien costume in the secret wars spinoff.

I for one, am fairly excited about this new spider-man movie, the cast looks solid and the lizard is a pretty good villain. However, the trailer didn't catch me too hard, it just felt a bit too dark and emo, but I'm hoping the movie will compensate with a good amount of humor. I'm still unsure about this reboot of the series, I thought the first two Spider-man movies were excellent with Spider-Man 2 being the best but Spider-Man 3 was absolutely terrible so the series probably deserves a reboot after that garbage. I actually thought Toby Maguire did a pretty decent job as Spider-Man. It will remain to be seen if Andrew Garfield pulls off the role better. Here is hoping the movie doesn't blow.

14. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

The Amazing Spiderman

Saw it earlier today. It was a pretty good film, Avenger's still being better though. If it was a toss up betwen First Class and this though I think this would come out on top.

The backstory with Peter's parents is pretty easy to follow if you pay close enough attention, obviously it seems they left the "What happened to them after they left?" question up in air for a sequel or two. Although I think the sequel will be about Norman Osborne based on the events of this film.

The scene where:
    The father of the guy he saved calls his crane buddies in was really good, if you suspend your disbelief slightly that he just happens to be someone with such connections. Also the fact the injured leg he had while traveling to Osborne tower made no trouble for him during the actual fight had me raising an eyebrow or two.

I actually liked Flash in this, he was characterized really well.

Peter's uncle I actually thought was better than the last version and the scenes where he imparts his ideals on Peter was actually more realistic than out of the blue saying "with great power comes great responsibility."

Stan's cameo was one of the better/longer ones in the marvel films.

8/10

15. redshell

redshell Order Member

Just got back from this movie, I really liked it. I was never a huge fan of Spiderman, but this has kindled something of an interest. I was never much of a fan of going out to comic book stores and buying serializations, especially when it's possible that you don't go for a month and suddenly you're out of the loop.

That being said, I liked how faithful they were to the comic books, overall. Pete's webs coming from a home-made launcher on his wrist was awesome, even if I had to explain five times to my dad that that's how it originally was.

Lizard looked really awesome, and the relationship with Gwen actually felt realistic to me, although I could be wrong considering my admittedly limited experience with relationships. That said, from what I know of Gwen, I think Emma Stone did a pretty good job.

My only complaint that I can think of at the moment is this; Norman Osborn, we are told, is dying of some disease. If we assume that that was him in the after-credits scene, how the fuck is he moving around to make threats?

16. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I saw this last night, and well, I LOVED IT. To be fair, I'm a sucker for Spider-Man in the first place, but this was a solid movie. Better than Avengers by far IMO. It was funny/silly, slightly sad, and the action was actually enjoyable for me.

The chemistry between Gwen and Peter was palpable and it felt realistic.

The scene with young Peter putting on those hipster glasses was funny because I suddenly envisioned all of the future memes, lol. I liked Lizard a lot too.

The easter egg at the end, while I think it was possibly Norman, the dying of disease thing makes that less likely. My guesses are that they introduce Kingpin or Hobgoblin as Oscorp-affiliated, possibly, and that was them. I do think Gwen will die in the 2nd movie, so Green Goblin will most likely appear. Also possible that Osborn dies and his son is the one who kills her, I suppose. I read some interviews with the producers and Webb, and they mentioned liking the idea of introducing the Sinister Six and having there be 5 more movies or so, culminating in Spidey fighting them in the last film, which would be incredibly badass. Not sure if they'd still do Doc Octopus and Sandman, I'd be fine with them replacing them with different villains. Kraven the Hunter would be an awesome villain to have, as would Vulture.

Another thought is to have Chameleon and Green Goblin create those androids of Peter's parents, which would actually be really fucking awesome.

I want 2014 to be here already :(

17. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There's a pre-existing thread with this exact title and subject already you know. And damn it, "Spider-Man" is hyphenated!

I'm fairly sure that was Norman at the end. "Dying" doesn't necessarily mean "bedridden." I imagine he'll become the Green Goblin through whatever cure he gets in either the next movie or one after. Whether they go for the Ultimate route (might be too close to the Hulk) or the more traditional glider, pumpkin bomb, etc. route is up in the air. Or maybe they'll combine them somehow? That'd be cool.

I see Peter and Gwen's relationship going along at breakneck speed before coming to a sudden stop in the near future.

Yes, those puns were terrible.
    Overall, I liked this better than any of the Raimi movies.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  18. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

A mod should totally change the name from 'Spiderman', because man, that bugs the fuck out of me and likely most of you. Merging with that old thread would be dope too.

I'm hoping/thinking that they will have the next film contain 2 villains. Also wondering if they will include Harry and Mary Jane pre-Gwen's death. It would make sense, introduce them when Peter and Gwen enter college, and have that as another tie to Norman!Green Goblin. It would give a future Peter/MJ relationship more depth, so here's hoping.

19. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Probably because Stone and Garfield started boning for real.