1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Snape put the fake sword in the vault and the real sword at the bottom of that little pool of water. Griphook then nicked the real sword from Harry during the Gringotts debacle. It later appeared to Neville, leaving Griphook's possession.

2. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

The fake sword was given to Bella which she believed was real and stuck in her vault. Snape put the real sword at the bottom of a lake in Forest of Dean (?) and sent his Patronus to Harry to guide him to it. From then until when Griphook steals it back, the sword stayed with Harry.

The sword can probably be pulled from the hat regardless of where it actually is if it's needed as it was for Harry and Neville. How? Magic!

Edit: Ninja'd.

3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fenrir was a wizard. How else could he apparate with the rest of the snatchers?

4. Oruma

Oruma Order Member

He could've been brought there via side-along.
    Just sayin'.

5. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Vuolia:
    I was sure I had read that there can be Muggle werewolves ;D

Now, to find the quote about silver and Rowling's werewolves, I almost swear I saw somewhere, too. (You can threat that as a question - Silver doesn't work on Rowling's werewolves, right?)

6. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Fantastic Beasts is mum on the issue, as is the Lexicon.

The word 'silver' appears roughly eighty-million- er, I mean 292 times in the seven main HP books, not including variations like 'silvery'. A cursory examination would seem to indicate that silver is never mentioned in conjunction with werewolves in Prisoner of Azkaban... but I could be wrong.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She talks about it in this interview, but doesn't comment upon if it's true in the HP world. Just that it's a popular myth.

8. Nocturnesthesia

Nocturnesthesia Fourth Year

My mistake, I thought he ran into a legit dementor. I assumed it was JKR building on the "fear of fear" thing by having Harry turn around and whip the things arse with ease because he thought it was only a boggart. :sherlock:

Greyback is just a really crappy wizard. If Lupin was the only werewolf ever to attend Hogwarts, it is likely that Greyback has very little magical education and/or spent many years pre-Voldemort with no wand much like Hagrid.

9. Darth Kali

Darth Kali Third Year

Well, that's an interesting idea. I was always under the assumption that Greyback was a right bastard to begin with, then got bitten by a were ages ago. So I was going with the theory that he went to Hogwarts, but wasn't turned yet.

But I don't think much about Greyback, except to run screaming in the other direction when a fic focuses on him. Or in one horribly pain-inducing moment some moron wrote a Remus/Greyback slash pairing.

10. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

On silver:
    Harry Potter Wiki has "Contrary to what the Muggle world believes, werewolves are not affected by silver." No source shown. So might be fake.

+++

A new one - do Aurors have a uniform? There was something about red robes in a few fics, that I remember, but I can't find anything with a quick search?

11. Darth Kali

Darth Kali Third Year

I think the Aurors having a 'uniform' might be taken from the movies rather than the books. But maybe the robes are described in PoA or GoF, the most likely books with references to the Aurors themselves.

I don't doubt they have a usual dress code, but the actual description might have gone unmentioned in the books.

12. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I'm pretty sure a uniform isn't mentioned in Canon, because I tried to look it up before. The most likely place would be when Harry walks through the Auror Office in OotP, before his trial, and it's not in there, at least. And not even a specific colour, because that is simple untrue, but in any case I ended up using blue, myself.

13. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Yeah I just picked scarlet because Auror Williamson was wearing that colour in the Auror Office scene in OoTP. Thought it sounded cool enough, bit different than standard cop colours.

14. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think Aurors have a uniform in the books or the films. The DMLE Squads definitely do in the film; it was a grey nazi-esque look.

But I don't think Aurors are ever seen in uniform, which makes sense, considering they need to be plain-clothes in order to effectively track people without being noticed.

15. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, it's also possible that there are Werewolves who were bitten as adults instead of kids. So they could have gone to Hogwarts just fine.

Auror uniforms? Nah, I don't think they have those in canon. I think I would have remembered it and added it to the imagery in my head. There might be movie!canon for them but I haven't seen all the movies.

16. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

So...does anyone wear blue robes as a uniform? I thought it was mentioned that Aurors wore them every time but it seems I've been deluding myself.

17. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

According to Ron in DH, Magical Maintenance has navy robes for uniforms.

18. Katricia

Katricia DA Member

Are life debts part of canon, or pure fanon?

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Canon, but they're extremely vague. It's possible that there's nothing magical about them at all, and that they're just a wizarding social concept.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  20. Katricia

Katricia DA Member

Thank you.

Do you happen to remember where they're mentioned?

Not open for further replies.