1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Sales & Gifts Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

DD is worth it many times over, as is Deus.

2. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Worth the whole franchise or just the most recent one?

3. Midknight

Original Deus Ex if you can get past the graphics by today's standards is still one of the best games ever made. 2 not so much, but it was okay, Human Revolution is great, but get the Missing Link DLC

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I tried playing the original Deus Ex with upgraded textures a couple of years ago, but I gave up pretty fast. It's ugly and the UI is as clunky as hell. It'll make you appreciate modern game UI design, if nothing else.

5. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Just bought arma2 for dayz, need more DLP players for an awesome team!

6. Midknight

Been trying to play Trial by Fire, the campaign mission you get with Arma 2 Free, after dying around 100 times, fuck it. Interface, especially the inventory and controls are too clunky for me to pay for it. If they make it free, I'd deal with it, but the price point is too high for such bad controls. Also, Day Z will be getting it's own game soon.

7. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just overdosed on Steam and bought a game I already had. Summer Sale intoxication kills. JUST SAY NO.

8. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

That's just you thinking ahead and getting stuff for this year's secret santa. You're just being thrifty. And really, it's only money. And eating's for pussies anyway. :p

Picked up Dungeon Defenders and started playing the crap out of it, but then the last Guild Wars 2 beta started so I'm putting it off until after the weekend. Same for DayZ. When we all get some time, we're definitely gonna have to get together for a DLP pubstomp. Shit will be cash.

9. yak

Didn't someone on DLP [here or DayZ thread], say that it was because the default UI sucks balls and that everyone else alters their UI in some fashion? We just need new key bindings, mouse controls, and whatever GUI fixes are out there for noobs.

I hate bad interfaces.

Who can point me to the right resources/mods/patches?

10. Midknight

If anyone does find the stuff to fix up those issues and want to hook me up with a copy I'd love to rape a country worth of zombies with you guys =P

Playing Divinity 2 Dragon Knight, got the collection and it seems pretty good so far.

11. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Gah! Okay, so it's really easy to nickel and dime yourself into the poorhouse during a Steam sale. Of course, I was already in the poorhouse, so...

Snagged Borderlands last night, along with Terraria, which I'd never even heard of, until about an hour before I bought it. And, now, the Batman pack is back down to 24.99, so I'll probably get it.

And, Age of Empires 3 is only 9.99 for the next few hours, and I just saw something called Toy Soldiers that looks neat, and it's only 5.99.

I don't know what I'll end up getting, but it's gonna hurt... so good.

12. yak

You don't have to worry about AoE3 any more. ;)

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

LOL. Wow, thanks a million, yak! You're a prince among men.

Time to uninstall some stuff, methinks.

My system HD is the smallest hard drive I have... and it's where Steam is installed, so it's where all my Steam games are installed. So, I'm going to have to uninstall some things... and, even then I'll probably end up having to rotate things out.

I have a matched pair of 2TB drives, a 1TB, and a 160GB drive, but my system drive is only 120.

'Too much want', indeed. But, it's simple enough to use Steam's backup feature and temporarily move some games to one of the storage drives.

I'll probably nix the Cinematic Mod for HL2, as well, since that monster is eating over 25 gigs of space.

Anyone else's drives going to need a spring cleaning to accommodate their booty?

14. redshell

redshell Order Member

Mine, for sure. It jumped from about half full to 3/4 full, thanks to this sale. Depending on the game (like if it's something like Starcraft or League, those stay on forever) I tend to uninstall games once I beat them, which helps to keep the size down, but still, it's just one of those things.

15. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

I found the settings on the Steam Arma II forums but I can not find that thread anymore. It was just a bunch of screenshots of the settings menu and I copied the values they were using.

For a start, if you have problems with mouse movement which you definitely do, change the acceleration and sensitivity of both vertical and horizontal from the settings, try with values to see what works.

Thing is, controls in the game are quite different. Like, when you are walking use ALT to look around, it was quite difficult in start but I got used to it as time went on. This is just an example. there is some other stuff as well.

I also saw some videos which I can not find again but after a quick search this looks good.

if you have time just try experimenting with the settings.

About the mods: I play(ed) on Arma II Free so I can not really use mods but I believe something called an ACE Mod exists for operation arrowhead which greatly improves the gameplay.

I am not completely sure if I will buy it or not, since Middy said that it goes standalone soon (in September according to the guy who made the mod) and my budget is smaller than I thought. (I haven't had a job in like an year >_>) I still have about 24 hours to decide, maybe I'll cave in.

---------- Post automerged at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Also, if anyone wants to get their asses kicked in AOE III hit me up. I do not have the steam version but I think we can still play together. Do you guys connect to ES Online too?

16. Beonid

Beonid Seventh Year DLP Supporter

If you're running Windows Vista or 7, you can use an application like SteamTool to create a junction between your drives, so you can switch games from one to another, while still being able to play them. There's also Steam Mover, which seems to do exactly the same thing. Or you could do it by hand, if you wanted to.

Whatever you do, don't use Steam's backup tool. It's far simpler to simply copy the game folder in its entirety, and save all the bugs and potential hassle of Steam's inbuilt tool.

17. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

Also, if you're going to play Arma on a server, the only way you will have fun is if you're working with at least 4-5 guys as a group and are in contact with them over teamspeak or something, typing while in battle will get you killed for sure. If you keep going for the mission alone you will die before you can even kill one of them.

The most fun I had was when me and 11 other guys (all using voice chat via Teamspeak) invaded a small city and captured it with only 3 friendly causalities. We prolly killed 100+ infantries and several tanks. I wish I had recorded that one. It was awesome.

18. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Thanks.

I'm definitely going to try that out... as soon as I can pull myself away from Terraria for five whole seconds; if this is what Minecrack is like for its addicts, then I guess I can see where they're coming from. :awesome

19. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

Minecrack. Hah.

/me snorts

20. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The whole Dawn of War II franchise -90% for 20€... I would buy it , but I already own most of it...