1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Quick Ben, Feb 1, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

So, is the whole 'you can't transfigure things into the noble metals (silver, gold)' fanon? I see that used a lot, but I can't find where it's stated in canon.

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    It's at least partly canon--the Philosopher's Stone would have been irrelevant if you could just transfigure stuff into gold. Also, the existence of currency exchange from Muggle to Magical worlds would preclude it (transfigure a stack of silver ingots, sell them in the Muggle world, exchange pounds for Galleons in the magical world, profit!)

3. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

You'd still have the elixir of life though, right?

And if your a fairly unscrupulous muggleborn: transfigure dirt into plutonium, sell to rogue government, profit! :)

Obviously a few steps missing in there.

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Transfigure dirt into the right kind of uranium, cast reducio. Nuclear bomb!

Magic is broken in all kinds of ways when it comes to interactions with Muggles. I mean, even if you knock out gold and silver, there are still all sorts of valuable things you can create with magic and sell to Muggles. And it seems that Voldemort, at least, can create silver.

I think eventually you just have to say there are laws against that sort of thing. I once conceived of a Ministry which funded itself not through taxation but through fucking around with Muggles in exactly the way Pers describes, and passed laws that said that only they could do it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Law enforcement prevents it? I know the Aurors etc don't have a particularly good reputation in canon, but I'm happy to assume that if they come across someone pulling a stunt like that, they're going to come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Factor in the significant portion of the Wizarding population who wouldn't want to associate with Muggles at all (many of who seem to be loaded anyway), and then the portion who would see it as morally wrong or simply wouldn't have that devious turn of mind anyway, and I think that covers most of the angles.

Edit: ninja-edit was particularly stealthy.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  6. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, we all know that making things illegal stops people from doing them. Like Voldemort.

7. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Voldemort is an exception, but there are way too many non-evil wizards who would, when they want to buy a new broom, make and sell a few ounces of platinum or a few carats of diamonds. After all, it's easy and doesn't hurt anyone. It's like, if you're a celebrity, you can sign a napkin instead of paying because the napkin is worth more on ebay than whatever is on the bill, unless you're buying a car.

Wizarding LEOs would not be able to prevent this because they can't follow everyone and listen in on everyone's conversations (including blind drops, intermediaries, etc). The muggles pay money for a real product which is indistinguishable from that of purely muggle origin. As soon as the wizard converts pounds to gold bars, there is no evidence of the transaction in either world. So every wizard worth his wand would be doing it occasionally and the impact on the wizarding economy would be huge - as long as there are few wizards and many muggles, many wizards would effectively have a blank cheque. The wizarding government would be relegated to keeping track of someone doing this too much, to prevent flooding the market and hurting everyone. Also, inflation.

The Watsonian explanation for why this doesn't happen is either:

1. Who says it doesn't happen? Maybe the Weasleys are the exception and everyone else is doing it.

2. Although magic can do almost anything, wizards can do almost nothing. There are only a dozen magicals who can do useful high level transfiguration. The rest are shop assistants who can use magic only to restock shelves.

8. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Says who? It's certainly not the impression we get from Canon, where A) the value of gold and gems seems to be quite limited, B) wizards by and large don't have the first clue when it comes to dealing with Muggles and their institutions, C) Transfiguration is not something just anyone can do in the first place.

With the recent Pottermore addition, something else is more likely. The Malfoys are said to have had their fingers in Muggle assets and currency, which is where they got part of their wealth from. So this opens up a possible way of earning money, but at the same time limits it, because the Malfoys are an exception. It's not commonplace.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    When Harry saves Pettigrew's life in PoA. I think they're mentioned when Arthur Weasley gets bitten by Nagini in OotP, and finally when Pettigrew's hand strangles him to death after Harry tries to call on the life debt.

EDIT: Oops, seems I've missed a page or two.

10. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I said
    We agree that this doesn't happen in canon, at least not on a large scale. The question is why? We know the true Doylist explanation. We may be looking for a Watsonian explanation. I suggested that wizards suck. You suggested that wizards suck and are stupid. Since these reasons have nothing to do with what is possible, this is a market ripe for disruption. Therefore, it is possible that the first person who is both aware of magic and understands economics 101 is going to radically change the wizarding world. Is there a Watsonian reason why this hasn't happened before 1997? I think it would be awesome if the answer is "no".

There is historical precedent, though for a less obvious idea: how many centuries passed between the time all the technology needed to build a Montgolfier balloon was commonly available and the time the first one was built?

11. Skeletaure

High Score:
    With respect to Pettigrew's hand killing him: this was only caused by the life debt in part.

The fact that Harry had saved Pettigrew made him hesitate, and it was the hesitation that killed him. The hand, created by Voldemort, detected his lack of loyalty and killed him for it.

Or at least, that's JKR's explanation of that scene.

With regards to people obeying the law: we really have no idea about what measures the Ministry has available to them to help them track, monitor and capture wizards. Certainly they seem to be pretty successful in catching criminals in times of peace, judging by the fact that Azkaban is hardly empty. The Ministry seems to have access to powerful and unique magic like the Taboo (maybe they have some very difficult to create or even one of a kind magical objects to help them, or maybe it's a function of their manpower, or maybe there's a lot of hidden magical infrastructure over the country).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  12. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Pettigrew's hand could merely be silver in color, not composition. As I understand it, there's no canon proof that Voldemort could conjure or transfigure precious metals. Perhaps all attempts to do so without the Philosopher's Stone end up with, in effect, Leprechaun gold. This would explain why gold, silver, and the like could remain currency in the magical economy.

Wizards could conceivably day-trade with a Time Turner* (and giving such a device to a precocious Muggleborn witch in PoA was just asking for trouble). Magical ethics discussions regarding economics, contact with the Muggle world, and arbitrage would have to address the impact of time travel on markets.

* I wrote a story once where Seer!Harry became a day trader.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm not saying there's no-one who does it, simply that it is illegal to do so. Quite apart from the effect it would have on the economy, all it takes is one wizard screwing something up somewhere along the line and you're looking at a serious breach of the Statute of Secrecy, a crime serious enough to get your wand snapped (possibly; I accept that this is based largely on Fudge trying to get rid of Harry, so may not be widely used).

14. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

You don't have to that in England tough. You can simply go to another country which doesn't real law enforcements transfigure coal into diamonds then sell that to smugglers or other lowlife there than come back to England with the money.

Off the record easy money which even Ministry of Magic can't track.

15. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I think there's a fair amount of international cooperation between magical governments. Remember the start of HBP, where the British Ministry was able to rearrange, on the spur of the moment, a direct interference with the Muggle government of another country (we will arrange for the President to forget to call you). Either the British Ministry has global reach, or there's cooperation between magical governments.

16. Alive and Free

Alive and Free Groundskeeper

Does Rowling ever indicate why the Ministry of Magic is a ministry rather than a fully fledged government of its own?

17. Skeletaure

High Score:
    No. Personally, I find the proximity of the creation of the Ministry (we don't have an exact date, but we know the Warlock's Council was still around in the late 1500s, and the Ministry was around by the late 1600s) to both the International Statute of Secrecy and the English Civil War/Glorious Revolution to be interesting.

18. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

While I think it's possible for someone to transfigure something into silver, diamonds or other fancy jewels, it is out of the range of most wizards.

They would need to have exceptional transfiguration skills to be able to produce something of fine enough grade to sell. We don't even know if transfiguration is permanent, and if not, how long it would last. You can't have your product transforming in the middle of the deal.

We also know that silver and other metals are used in potions, so it might be better to sell them to the Wizard community. I doubt the potions would work if it was magically transformed, though.

Also, we do not know the exchange rate from Muggle money to Galleons. It might not be worth it if Galleons are worth ten times (or more) than Pounds. If that was the case, Wizards would need to move tons of metals (tons of it) to make a decent profit. That would cause a huge trail leading back to the makers as well. I bet there is a department in the Ministry that tracks things like that.

Plus, they would have to deal with muggles, which would be almost an instant turn off.

19. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I actually looked into the issue of the value of gold for Alexandra Potter.

At 1991 prices in the Muggle world, if 1 galleon even contains just 1/4 an ounce of gold, it would be worth £160. Whatever the exact exchange rate, it's certainly not that high. It appears to be closer to one galleon to five pounds.

20. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I was in the mindset that gold could not be created by magical means, thus the Philosophers Stone is so valuable for many reasons.

That is why I was looking at lesser metals such as Silver, Bronze, etc.

Either way, I figure creating these metals or fancy jewels would require expert knowledge. It would be similar to real life. Anyone could learn Chemistry but only a few reach the levels and get the necessary equipment to make gems in a lab, and they are just not as good as what is in real life.

Anyways, why put in all that hard work to make all these gems or metals when you could make a simple healing potion and sell it for ridiculously high rates to the rich? :p

Now, we know why the super rich and elite never get sick.

Not open for further replies.