1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Steam Sales & Gifts Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Nov 28, 2010.

1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It looks like there won't be a re-cap day which most/all of the previous Summer and Winter sales have had. The sales that currently exist are it. You've got 12 hours to buy anything which didn't come up in the daily deals.

edit: I spoke too soon. The new deals are up now. It does look like this is it though. The sale seems to be ending in 24 hours.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This can't be their recap day. Granted this is yet another day mostly of stuff we've seen before, but usually the last day is the best deals or the best games. This is far from it.

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Always found it easier to do it manually, but I think that's because I have OCD with keeping my shit in line. Ask anyone on IRC who has seen screens of my partitions. D:

XX:\Genre\[Retail, Steam, Origin (Currently only ME3), Misc DDL]\Game

Robocopy and mklink make for easy work with a simple bat file.

robocopy <old link> <new place>
    mklink /J <steamapps/common folder> <real dir>

Takes a minute to toss it into a txt file, name it .bat, run it, and ignore... D:

Also handy robocopy GUI

4. yak

All of their non-daily non-flash sale countdowns end soon. The ones which have been running all sale long.

eg. Half Life 2 has this "SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends in 15:55:46"

So I don't think any of the usual sales will be continuing on tomorrow. This is the day to pick up anything which hasn't come up on the Dailies.

Steam... <_<

I'm paying with the Steam Wallet, and this happens. VISA is also blocked. I was trying to buy some more Secret Santa games too.

---------- Post automerged at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 ----------

If there are any Aussies out there reading this, Steam seems to have made a mistake in our favour. Saints Row: The Third Franchise Pack is on a flash sale at only $9.79. That's cheaper than the vanilla game. It's also cheaper than the US price of $13.29.

Let me make that clear. $9.79 will get you Saints Row: The Third, plus almost all of the DLC currently available (16 out of the 17 DLCs by my count). At that price I picked up a couple of gift packs. There's quite a few DLPers with SR3 on their wishlists though, so don't be shy about picking up an extra copy.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  5. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

Yak, thanks for the awesome tip off about SR3, grabbed it as soon as I saw this. And for people wondering if the steam sale is over, on the steam summer sale community achievement page, I've got the achievement for voting every day, which seems like a pretty big clue that this is in fact the last day...

yak
  6. yak

New Steam Games on Sale which You've Probably Missed

There's been a few new games I was really looking forward to, which didn't come up as Daily or Flash Sales. If anyone was looking out for these, now's a good time to get them.

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP - It was rave reviewed on the iPad when it came out as an exclusive there. It's now out on Steam, and I'm going to give it a go.

Analogue: A Hate Story - The only visual novel on Steam. It's about an operative in the distant future investigating the computer logs of a centuries lost Korean colony ship. The demo is the first 20% of the game. By the end of that you'll either be hooked, or know it's not for you. It's almost entirely text. 3-6 hours, depending on whether you go for the multiple endings or not. If you're a complete gun you can finish it even quicker, but you'll have missed out on much of the story.

The demo hooked me, and I went for 100% completion. It wasn't hard. The questions the game raises stick with me though. I'm still wondering about some of the events aboard the generation starship Mugunghwa. It doesn't get preachy and encourages you to form your own opinions which in turn influence your ingame actions.

Indie Game: The Movie - This isn't a game, obviously. It's an award winning documentary.

I usually like the idea of indie games more than the reality of them, which puts this documentary right up my alley. It shows the human faces behind Braid, Fez, and most interestingly, Super Meat Boy. The emotional toll paid by these developers shows that they really do put all of themselves into these games.

You can buy the documentary at indiegamethemovie.com or on Steam as an "application". Don't worry though, you can just navigate to the Steam directory and find it as an ordinary 1080p.mp4 movie file. All of the extras are the same. I've played them on Steam, VLC, and a big screen TV via a WDTV Live.

Enjoy the last hours of the sale.

7. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Jade Empire's up for three bucks.

8. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Pre order Dark souls PC

Use this when checking out: PARTP-ALCNO-TIESU
    $39.99 -> $32.00

This game requires a free Steam account to play.

9. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Immensely curious about this, as I don't own a console and have never played Dark or Demon's Souls. But I've heard many worrying things about this (DRM, poor mouse-keyboard optimisation, among other things). Anyone got any thoughts on either versions?

Also, the code is 'Use it on claptrap' backwards? Mean anything in-game or just randomness?

10. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is one of the few times where Ill tell anyone watch the Zero Punctuation review, its pretty damn accurate and it applies to both games.

11. yak

12. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

13. Hashasheen

Quakecon Bundle is on sale for the next four days.

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition is available for 14.5 pounds. I kind of want to go for it, but I've bought plenty of games in the Summer Sales (30 pounds worth at least), and my parents are kind of suspicious as to where that money went.

On one hand I find the story of New Vegas incredibly interesting (in the sense that I want to write fanfiction about it), but on the other sense I've already got way too many games to go through and the Fallout series is something I'm not quite eager to step into just yet.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  14. yak

Aussies: Steam appears to have made a pricing mistake in our favour. Skyrim is on sale for $29.99 USD. That's the same price as the US sale, and a 66% discount on the usual $90 for the next 20 hours.

Everyone else: Skyrim is 50% off at $29.99 USD.

15. Gizmore

Also Oblivion and Morrowind are -66%!

16. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

That's not quite true. The Skyrim base price for Australians finally dropped from $89.99 to $59.99 after the summer sale. Now we're at the same level as the US.

17. Hashasheen

Rage is selling 50% off. For Brits, that's 6.39 pounds. Damn I'm tempted to get it...

18. Hashasheen

New Vegas & Fallout 3 selling 66% off. For Brit's that's a combined 10.85 pounds. Goddamnit...

19. Gizmore

20. Castiel

Castiel Headmaster

^^ Just got it. Playing the new map. xD me and pdo did it on insane, when we tried survival the server fucked us at wave 28. pdo ragequit. I tried it again and just died @ wave 21.

If anyone wants to team up and tackle it with me again, lemme know.

Also, while I do check DLP everyday, just to be sure, if Dungeon Defenders EVER goes on sale (I need them DLCs), PM me on DLP/Steam. :D

Thanks!