1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FanFiction Cliches - Do not delete

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Aug 13, 2005.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Lets not forget about Remus calling Harry "cub."

Man I got sick of seeing that in a hurry.

2. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

I didn't hit 5'5 until grade 10....and even now i only just hit 5'6...AND i was never locked in a cupboard and starved for half of my life, so all this...Harry was 5'0 last year but over the summer hes now 5'7....well kick me in the fucking balls! whatever steroids he's using must be great! I like being short....so fuck everyone else who pities themselves for not being a friggen giant :x

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

LOL :)

I was 5'8 in 8th grade. Then that summer I had another growth spurt and I ended up at 6'1 and a half. Now I am somewhere between 6'2 and 6'3.

I think I have stopped growing. But I wouldn't mind being 6'5ish, it would give me about 5 extra mph on my fastball.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I beg to differ, well 2 exceptions anyway, Dakaath does it right, but other then that, I think one more I liked

5. Old Nuit

Old Nuit High Inquisitor

I meant Grindelwald being Lily's father(which is impossible without time travel), not Harry being Grindelwald's heir(which is possible).

6. Midknight

7. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

As for height, it's overrated. I'm 6'8'' and I would kill to be able to drop down to about an even six feet. Being that huge makes shopping for clothes and shoes extremely difficult, not to mention the everyday hassles of not being able to fit in car seats and classroom desks like everybody else and hitting your head on door frames and ceiling fans.

8. Midknight

ug I feel your pain I have a similar problem, but not in height.

I'm 5'11.5" so average height, but I have wide shoulders, a waist thats around 37", but my thighs measure around 41ish (tons of running and weight lifting in high school) I have to buy size 42" pants, relaxed fit and 32" length (my inseam shows I only need about 29) to be able to fit into them.

So I'm left with a good several inches of material at my wasitline that does nothing but get uncomfortable as shit when bunched up by a belt, and about 3 inches of material at the bottom of my feet that either drag, or I get to do a horrible hem job on them, and the pants STILL get tight when I kneel down =/

You can get tailor made, but it's insanly expensive, and I'm the type of person who refuses to pay more then 20$ for a pair of jeans.

9. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I'm 6'4, and I know your pain...I buy baggy cargo pants. I refuse to wear tight, restrictive jeans, when my cargo pants, 38w, 32l, fit me wonderfully (with a good deal of room), and allow me to move around easily.

10. Midknight

aye but what makes it suck even more for me is, when I'm working outside for 6-7 hours a day, in the summer heat, the bagginess and all the extra material makes it feel like you're walking around with a bed-comforter strapped to your waist.

11. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Oooh yeah, I'm inside most of the day, so that doesn't apply to me, but I know how you feel, I've done some all-day outside things.

On a side note, I once went to school wearing a bed comforter strapped to my waist, though I had shorts on under it.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

That fucking clock that the Weasley's own.

Every FUCKING time an author writes a Harry/Ginny pairing they ALWAYS give Harry a hand on the clock for Christmas.

13. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

Dunno if its been mentioned, but two related things come to mind:

1- Harry knows the proper name for every piece of clothing worn, and mentally describes it to the reader. Bonus cliche points if it's all American styles that weren't even popular in the 90's.

2- Harry and everyone really is almost always a complete genius at reading emotions. You can NOT look in someones eyes and 'sense' every fucking emotion they have! :x

Small addition: Harry noticing that other dudes have 'filled out' over the summer, even in het, when its a female writer. Dudes don't even use that phrase, and they certainly don't observe this in other males unless they're a a grade A fucking faggot.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

yeah.

guys use the term "bulked up" but only if they are accusing the other person of steroid use. otherwise it just isn't aknowledged

15. Zevrillion

Zevrillion Founder Retired Staff

or the author has another native language.

Lucky for me I am 6 "1". Quite reasonable if I say so myself.

16. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

i've got the same sorta problem....except i cant find small enough jeans...i need at 30' waist but most stores dont stock them so i'm stuck with 32' which makes it weird to put a belt on and then have all the waist bunched up and odd

17. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

32 inch waist here... Not to bad but I have long and thick legs... I have just given up on jeans and wear mostly atheletic shorts, and on occasion cargo pants.

18. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

LMAO, I measure my waist in feet.

19. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I dont even know my size of anything apart from my shoes, lol. I just go to the shop, see something I like, try it on, if it fits then I buy it. Of course if I wanted to buy a suit i'd have to get my size.

20. SlytherinDamian

SlytherinDamian Raptured to Hell

That might account for the term being different, but it doesn't account for guys not thinking about shit like that. And if they want to write an English story, they should write it right, regardless of their mother tongue.

I'm 6-1 too.

Not open for further replies.