1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) III

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 14, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

What do you mean higher chance of survival? They never died. They were tortured into insanity. This is something that probably would change. I imagine that Bellatrix would have been the ones to put them over the edge of sanity. So they probably would escape with their sanity intact.

2. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Just with crippling nerve damage, or vegetable'ated.

Unless the fanon is creeping in, again.

3. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Thief!Harry, as raised by Mundungus Fletcher.

Imagine the possibilities and the turns to his personality and viewpoint, especially when it comes to obtaining the Horcruxes - a good vault-breaker, ward-disabler, etc etc from his years of tutelage and missions in the field.

Could be a good take on things, I think. Just not sure how his Hogwarts education would be handled, if he even did take one.

4. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

There was a pretty good thief!Harry who was mentored by the Flamels. Unfortunately it has been abandoned for awhile now.

5. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

The Thief of Hogwarts, if I remember correctly. That said, I don't remember him actually being mentored by the Flamels - just living with them.

Harry being raised by Mundungus Fletcher could be interesting, but I never really got the impression that he was all that much of an amazing thief. He seemed to be mostly incompetent but had some degree of contacts, so maybe Harry could learn more from them.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Would a story with Harry raised by Mad-Eye Moody work?
    As POD we could have Dursleys dying before Voldemort attacks the Potters.
    Seeing as Moody is a competent wizard (more or less), Harry would grow up to be at least a good fighter, even if paranoid beyond reason.

7. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The problem with having Harry raised by anyone other than the Dursleys means that when he gets to Hogwarts, he isn't going to be anything like the Harry we're familiar with. For some people, that's fine. For others, not so much. Essentially, you might as well be creating a new character - Harry Moody wouldn't react the same way when faced with the same circumstances as Harry Potter. He'd make different friends, possibly be in a different House, and be more aware of the Wizarding World.

What you could do would be a slightly older Harry being taken in by Moody. You'd need some justifications (he's a member of the Order, so Dumbledore is happy; he's a pureblood from a long line of purebloods, although not a pureblood supremecist; and he is/was an auror, so the MoM is happy); but you could Harry move in after his first year. Maybe Quirrel, with access to the Hogwarts' records, finds out where Harry lives, and goes to kill the Dursleys around midwinter. Or just before he goes through the trapdoor. Or as the Express is coming up from London.

But you also need more of a plot that 'Harry goes to live with Moody'.

8. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

It's been done, to amusing effect.

9. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    How about a story where, during the Seven Potters thing, Harry and Hagrid are hit and Moody goes to retrieve them. Hagrid is injured severely in the fall, but keeps Harry from all but a few scratches. Moody lands to check them out and both of them are attacked by multiple Death Eaters. Moody saves Harry only for Harry to return the favor moments later when Moody lets his guard down. They escape and return to the Burrow.

From there, Moody takes a greater interest in Harry and passes on some of his knowledge. Learning from him COULD POTENTIALLY change a lot of things done during Deathly Hallows.

10. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Nice idea. I wonder why no one has ever done that, have someone find out where Harry stays effectively canceling out the need for Harry to go back to the Dursleys. (The wards were specifically thereto protect him from Voldemort right?)

11. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Just a stupid idea that won't leave me alone unless I write it down somewhere, even though I'm working on my last plot bunny. I decided to throw it here to be mocked and laughed at.

The premise is your basic "Game of The Year" story, in which the main character finds out his life was nothing but a video game. Queue existential drama.

There is a couple differences/twists and here's where it gets a tad confusing. Instead of Harry dying mid story, like at the 4th year resurrection, he lives a generally and moderately happy life, dying of old age.

The bigger twist is that he's not the only one who's life is a video game, and somehow they're all connected, like one of those old 2 for one discs with 2 games on it. The other people who's live were a video game? Uzumaki Naruto, Edward Elric and Kurosaki Ichigo. (Chosen simply because the series they're from are either all over, or almost over and I know them as well as I do Harry Potter)

So, they all die of old age (Ichigo died twice, maybe?) and wake up at the start menu in younger bodies, for some reason I haven't thought of yet. After meeting each other, they try to figure out what's going on, find they're in a video game and then proceed to go through each person's game in "Multiplayer."

Each person's world/life/game would be it's own book, probably going by "Save 1," "Save 2," etc etc.

But now that I have written this out, I can get back to various notes I'm making in preparation of writing a fic when my Chemotherapy is over.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  12. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How do you make those?

13. redshell

redshell Order Member

Dude's on chemo. He probably has easy access to pot. Besides, I've heard that some of the best ideas are generated when the user is high as a kite. Wasn't Edgar Allen Poe addicted to Cocaine or something?

14. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Good idea, wrong forum. I can't imagine the people here would really be interested in that genre at all.

15. Probellum

Probellum Death Eater

Except that it would still focus mainly on Harry, with occasional interludes on what the others are doing. My response is, of course, assuming that you refer to the fact that it is a crossover.

Really, I'm working on something else right now, which would be just as big as this, so it doesn't really matter.

Also, Pot Bunnies are kind of like paper cranes, except there's a lot more tape involved. Or, you just take a cookie cutter in the shape of a bunny and use it on some cannibus leaves. At the very least, that's how I understand it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  16. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

SAO!Harry Potter? Kikuoka asks Kirito to investigate a new game, but by now, "Kirito" is too well known in all of the "seed"-based games, due to word of mouth (black get-up + black sword, no matter what most people use + insane skillz, despite beginner equipment = probably that Kirito dude), so he must register an entirely new account in this new "Wizarding World" seed-game where it is suspected that a former member of the laughing coffin has picked up where Shinkawa an company left off. This player, calling him self "Lord Voldemort" has amassed an army of fellow PKers he calls the "Death Eaters".

Sorry. I'll stop. My obsession with this series is getting to me, and I'm probably spoiling too much already.

17. Sacrosanct

Sacrosanct Auror

Dexter/Breaking Bad crossover? Dexter hunting Heisenberg, form a partnership and all sorts of interesting things happen.

Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with either series for a while due to school being an overly attached girlfriend so I won't be able to start planning it until my summer holidays.

But still would people read this? Any ideas for the plot? I'm not ashamed to steal ideas and I'll give you credit if you come up with one.

18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Something I posted on another board.
    I admit it's not that great, but I tried to make it original.
    It has some flaws, but if someone would want to point them out (and suggest improvements), feel free to do so.

Title: "Changers and Preservers"

Backstory:

Changers are Wizards or Witches who travel in time to prevent bad events and improve history.
    They are immune to historical changes themselves, as they are 'outtimed'.
    Outtiming is caused by their method of travel, certain special artifacts.
    An outtimed person is completely erased from history and lives, obviously, outside of time.
    Such a person could go back, kill his own parents, and still would exist.
    Furthermore, Outtimed people don't have duplicates while travelling in time.
    Changers live in a pocket dimension, called the "Timeless Zone", from where they dispatch members on missions.
    Knowing that every change they make has unforseen consequences, they tirelessly maintain the timeline, improving it daily.

Preservers, on the other hand, are fanatics.
    They worship Fate and Destiny, no matter the cost.
    They do everything in their power to make sure the Changers fail.
    Preservers also have these time-travel artifacts and use them to cause events to go 'according to the plan'.
    Which is just basically making sure that everything goes as it went originally.
    As with the Changers, the Preservers constantly maintain the timeline, making daily missions.
    They also live in the Timeless Zone, albeit in a different area of it.
    While they are also Outtimed, which obviously is a change itself, they see it as the lesser of two evils.

The Story:

The Changers decide that the time has come for them to prevent the second rise of Voldemort.
    They can't prevent the first rise, because the last time they tried that, it didn't go all that good.
    Knowing their facts well, they are aware of the Horcruxes and all of Voldemort's plans.
    Two Changers, a man and a woman, are dispatched to 1981,
    with a mission to subtly re-direct the course of Harry Potter's life,
    in such a way, that will make the boy more prepared and competent to face the Dark Lord.
    They patiently wait for Harry to vanquish Voldemort and become the Boy-Who-Lived.
    Everything goes as usual, Dumbledore takes Potter to the Dursleys.
    This is when the Changers enter the scene.
    They take Harry from Privet Drive (Obliviating the Dursleys if needed) and place him in a secret location to raise him themselves.
    This is a big sacrifice for them, as they can't travel until the boy grows up, but they agreed to this mission.
    Fast forward ten years, Harry Potter is eleven years old, already knowing much about wizarding world and having experience with magic
    (especially the one not invented yet).
    The Preservers are made aware that the timeline has been changed once again and they will seek to make sure Voldemort does rise again.
    It will be long seven years for Harry.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  19. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

The main problem, that I see with your plot idea, is the lack of conflict for Harry, beside the usual Voldemort stuff. Why add some outside force like this Outtimed factions (whom by the way, sound interesting and reminds me of Factions from Planescape) if all they add is another support group for Voldemort and Harry?

Secondly - why concentrate on Harrys life? Why not try different approach? I suppose that Changers cannot just destroy the Horcruxes and kill Voldemort in his weakened form, so instead of that, let them steer someone on the path to finding Horcruxes. Make them work on eliminating Voldemort support base.

Also, make the Changers morally and ethically dubious. They want to change and improve history, but what is their limit. For example, they want to kill Mark Evans. Why? The kid would grow up to become a doctor and create a cure for cancer. That would allow couple important people to not to die from this disease and create important inventions that would allow humanity, to travel to the stars. And thanks to that, humanity almost came to extinction due to the first interstellar war that killed tens of billions of humans. And for that, for the sake of stoping the greatest war in human history Mark Evans must die.

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I already dislike that you are making the Preservers into a bad guys in your story. Why not have both sides present good arguments about their way of thinking? The Preservers keep the timeline as it is, because they believe that changing it ultimately results in worse outcome than the original one. For them the Changers are arrogant fools who don't know what they are doing.

But the Changers believe that if you can change the past, it's their duty to actually try to make things better, even if there is a risk that they will make them much worse.

And personally I wouldn't make them erase themselves from the history when they join one of these groups, but only disconnect them from their past so if it changes nothing happens to them, but there is another different version running around. I think it could be interesting to actually have two different versions of the same person joining two different groups.

Not open for further replies.