1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) III

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Feb 14, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

I don't know. Four seems to few for me: no real opportunities for groups to form, and it also probably makes it less fun to watch. With four competitors, it's either going to be an elongated game of hide-and-seek, which is boring, or insanely quick, which is also boring. Larger numbers allow for both to go on at once - short term fighty-killy, and long term hunt-and-destroy.

Perhaps schools other than Hogwarts could enter? I could see Hogwarts being portrayed as the 'Career' type school, with the lesser schools scrabbling for a win every few years. In any case, it could provide some extra conflict for Harry - not only has he got to survive, but also deal with the guilt of killing desperate children - whilst the prejudice of the ruling classes against him acts as a backdrop.

I would also go for one or two muggleborn students being 'allowed' in, with the same prize offered, just to spice things up a bit.

Sounds interesting, anyway, and like it could be pulled off extremely well. I've always had a thing for distopias, and a Voldemort-controlled Britain is definitely something I'd like to see more of.

2. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

What if each house got seven tributes, one from each year? Twenty-eight is a pretty solid number for a Hunger Games, I think.

3. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Have it traditionally consist of eight contestants - two from each House. A boy and a girl.

But the girl who chosen alongside Harry committed suicide, or was poisoned or something.

Then you arrive at Seven, and the officials elect not to replace the girl. Then you have a tournament which breaks the precedents and creates Harry's "special main character" status as being the first loner in the history of the Games.

4. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I had a similar idea in mind but it was Grindelwald who won the war and conquered Europe.

Once a year, two people (a boy and girl) from each school would compete in the Magic Games. The winner would get everlasting fame while the school would get funding for the next year.

You would have to create a few new schools in Europe, but could bring in Fleur and other characters.

Tom Riddle could be one of the first victors of the games and a mentor to Harry, while plotting to overthrow the kingdom for himself.

5. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

A guy(don't know his name yet) decides that he is going to take matters into his own hands by infiltrating the death eaters and making his way up until he gets the chance to kill Voldemort himself. He isn't an Auror just a civilian driven by some tragic thing the death eaters did to him.

The fic would show how at first he is trying to help out from the inside but is slowly loosing grip as he becomes more and more entrenched into the death eaters actions. He has to commit more and more horrors so that he can get closer to Voldemort and it will show just how far or how little he is wiling to go and do to kill him.

So thoughts, has it been done before? if not does it sound like an interesting premise? If so mind giving me a link to it?

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Here's an idea that I don't think has been done already:

Fanon-Cliché Harry sent to the Canon Universe.

Let me explain:

You know how in many stories, there are some overused things like friendly Goblins,
    Magical Cores, questionable pairings, Horcruxes destroyed by Dementors,
    fanon names (Grangers come to mind) and other things like that.

Basically, a lot of stuff that isn't canon.

Now, let's take our friendly neighborhood Harry Potter just after Dumbledore dies
    and make him switch places with Harry from the canon world as seen in the original books.

Right from the start, a lot of things he knows are now wrong.

I'd like to see him deal with that stuff.
    Also, it'd be funny to read how he reacts when he finds out that he's going out with Ginny instead of Fleur/whoever.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  8. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

9. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A thought that I just had. Didn't we see during Snape's flashbacks in DH part 2 that he was at the Potter's, cradling Lily's deceased form?

What if Sirius showed up while Snape was still there?

How would things have gone down differently for the rest of the story- would Snape have died, and Sirius go to Azkaban for his death? Would Snape put up a decent fight and actually kill him instead? Would the delay of the clash, providing Sirius live, allow for Pettigrew to get away and go into hiding?

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Movie canon is far different from book canon.

It can be used, I suppose, but it'd also go a lot against what's been stated in the books, I think?

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Well, that only happened in the movie and if I remember right this scene also suggested that he was there before Lily's death. Which would mean that he was too afraid to save her for the Dark Lord. Depending on what you think about him it may fit, or not, his characterization when he was younger.

But taking out Sirius so early (not necessary by Snape) gave me an idea. You let Peter not go into hiding, but stay as respectable member of the OotP and you can have a HP version of Infernal Affairs (you may also know it as The Departed which is inferior remake of this movie). The necessary change would be to have Albus and Voldemort keep the identities of their spies a secret from the rest of their groups. But with that one change I see a lot of potential in this setting.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  12. Anarual

Anarual Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Just had an idea, maybe someone can use it. Did anyone ever try to explain The difference between muggles and wizards by suggesting that muggles don't have fully formed souls, and thereby access to magic, and because of that can not cross over to heaven, afterlife, valhalla..? Might make for some interesting philosophical approaches in a fic, it would also make an interesting reason for armed conflicts between wizards and muggles.

13. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Doesn't explain how asian wizards exist.

14. meev

meev Groundskeeper

Fixed that for you.

15. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

No. Just no.

16. One armed boxer

One armed boxer Second Year

How about cliche manipulative Dumbledore as a dark comedy? He runs around manipulating everything for his own self interest, stealing from everyone's bank account, setting up people to get murdered/sent to Azkaban etc., but he's the main character and it's played for laughs.

You could even have the "Harry discovers the manipulation" schtick, only Dumbledore manages to bring Harry under his wing and tutor him in the ways of being a dick.

17. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @onearmedboxer I'd read that as a oneshot, played for crack over high comedy, if you know what I mean.

18. Reece

Reece Second Year

Those poor, poor muggles, I'd almost feel bad about gleefully reading the ensuing magical boot that would crash down upon their narrow little world...but not sorry enough to root for them of course. I mean attacking the magical beings with pretty much limitless power compared to them isn't stupidity, it's Darwin sending you a message.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  19. Philo Vance

Philo Vance Fourth Year

That scene always made me laugh like crazy because I just think, shit, Snape must really hate Harry. The mental image alone that comes to mind after watching it is hilarious.

[Snape bursts into the house, slamming the door open. He steps on James' corpse, kicks Baby Harry aside and holds Lily's corpse and starts to scream]

Snape: WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS? I'M JUST A GOOD MAN CURSED TO NEVER BE LOVED! I DID EVERYTHING I HAD TO!

[Snape leaves the house, ignoring possibly traumatized Baby Harry crying in the corner.]

[Simple Plan starts to play.]

I don't remember if Hagrid had taken Harry from there already or not, but I don't care. That mental image will stay with me forever.

20. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Simple Plan became a band in 1999.

Does. Not. Compute.

Not open for further replies.